Pre-amps: Built-in vs Separate

There are a ton, what are the other parts of your system?

Check out yard sales and thrift stores. I used a 25 dollar "hi-fi" phone pre-amp I got off eBay for a few years. It worked, it was just a basic boost in the decibel level. It wasn't until I replaced that with another small amp that I realized it was not boosting enough really, my speakers didn't really jump. The amp on amp action was tricky because I could easily cause some clipping issues if I turned the first, pre, amp up too high.

I ended up getting a EQ which was the best thing I did in years, got a new used amp and removed the extra amp from the system. For under 100 bucks you could get a new used amp/receiver that has a built in phono (Technics receivers sell for cheap and are pretty nice, if it has a phono input with a ground it has a built in pre-amp), and then a EQ, plug this into your tape loop, to tweak your sound for your room, and you might even have money left over for some records.

All segments of your set up MUST have quality items (TT, amp, speakers, cartridge, etc.) If you lack in one area the whole set up lacks. You do not need to spend a bunch on money, just wisely spend.

I post this because if your receiver doesn't have a phono pre amp you probably don't want it.

For under 100 you could find a nice vintage marantz receiver with a built in preamp. I got a 2235b for about $90. Or if you wanted to spend a little more you could get a cambridge 640 preamp. You can find them on Amazon for around $170, you could probably find them cheaper used on ebay. It made a noticeable different on my entry level setup.

What sort of speakers do you have, what sort of amp do you have? What cartridge and turntable are you using? Is your listening area acoustically treated in any way? In all reality, depending on those variables, you may not hear much of a difference if you upgrade your pre-amp to a <$100 model (not that a more expensive one would be that much better either).

That said, there are two pretty good preamps in that price range (well actually, closer to $40). The TCC TC-750LC and the ART DJ Pre II. I don't really think the cambridge 640 is anywhere close to 4x as good as those (even though it is 4 times as expensive).

Why do you want to bypass your built-in preamp? Do you know the specifications of it?

I second the idea of getting a vintage solid state receiver that has a built in phonostage, unless you are satisfied with your existing amp situation.

1) See if this receiver is in stock at your local Radioshack ( http://www.radioshack.com/product/index.jsp?productId=2407171)

2) Install Foursquare on your smartphone.

3) Go purchase the receiver, while in line, check into Radioshack for the first time on Foursquare. Show phone to clerk, get 20% off your purchase.

I assume you are talking about the Behringer PP400. Both of the $40 models I mentioned have better specifications (frequency response, THD and S/N), but it's probable that the differences aren't audible to the human ear, and I'd argue that on most of our set ups, with used, low quality punk rock vinyl with cheap amps and cheap speakers and cheap cartridges, the Behringer vs. the TCC would be hard to tell them apart in situ. That said, both of the $40 models have extra features, such as a level knob for adjustments (and with the ART DJ it has a switchable input capacitance and low cut/flat filterng). I've also read a few reports of bad/noise power supply on the pp400, but those could just be grounding issues/user error. Anyway, are these on paper specifications and options worth an extra $20? to some, maybe. The real question is, how much of a step up is the PP400 from the onboard preamp? It's only $20, so I guess it wouldn't hurt to get it and see how it does. Listen for yourself. All that said, chutterhanban has a good point, and I don't think any flak is needed.

Also, that Sherwood receiver mentioned by ComaChameleon is another idea to get a phonostage with an amp all together (for a bit under $100), and you don't have to worry about cleaning vintage components and possible switching capacitors on old, used solid state stuff as other have suggested (myself included).

1) See if this receiver is in stock at your local Radioshack ( http://www.radioshack.com/product/index.jsp?productId=2407171)

2) Install Foursquare on your smartphone.

3) Go purchase the receiver, while in line, check into Radioshack for the first time on Foursquare. Show phone to clerk, get 20% off your purchase.

4) Still overpay by some $70. Seriously, the sound quality these things produce is horrible, and is outperformed by most $25 garage sale finds.

I'd argue that on most of our set ups, with used, low quality punk rock vinyl with cheap amps and cheap speakers and cheap cartridges, the Behringer vs. the TCC would be hard to tell them apart in situ.

This, 100%.