RIP Common Grounds.... but good news..

Glad it's still going to be a live music venue, but the name makes me think of KFC...

----------------------------------------------------

FOR IMMEDIATE AND WIDESPREAD RELEASE

Music fans and artists both locally and across the country were saddened to hear recently of the passing of a landmark in Gainesville live music for the past 15 years – Common Grounds.

Glory Days worked closely with Common Grounds on numerous successful concerts over the years, bringing everyone from Avett Brothers to Afroman to comic Doug Benson to their stage.

Glory Days will produce the last events at this historical venue this Saturday and Sunday June 25 & 26 with a stacked bill of 16 local and regional bands playing the stage one last time. For more info, click here:

https://www.facebook.com/event.php?eid=218189671535035#!/event.php?eid=177814228938357

Additionally, Glory Days Presents is very proud to announce the continuation of a tradition, as well as a new beginning for live music and grassroots events in downtown Gainesville.

Starting July 1st new ownership and management will take over the lease at 210 SW 2nd Ave, Suite A downtown, former location of Common Grounds and before that Covered Dish (1990′s). This new club will be called DOUBLE DOWN LIVE. The club format will stay largely the same, continuing a strong focus on live bands and DJs, comedy, performances and events with an emphasis on community involvement. The outside area will continue to be no cover all the time. Upgrades will be made to the A/C along with an aesthetic face lift. Parking is still some of the most plentiful downtown. DOUBLE DOWN hopes to improve the live music experience for Gainesville and suggestions are welcome !

Double Down ownership includes Moe Rodriguez, formerly of local concert promotions company Promoe Music. Moe will be acting as General Manager and Jeremy “Doc” Murdock will be retained from Common Grounds as Bar Manager.

Glory Days Presents! will manage the calendar and handle all booking requests for local and national artists, as well as private and sponsored events, benefits, and facilliate outside promoters and organizers at Double Down Live. Glory Days will also handle publicity and promotion. Shows and events are currently being booked right now for late summer and Fall ! We are open minded to a wide variety of music and events. Artists, promoters, event organizers, press and all interested parties please send all inquiries to Pat Lavery at Glory Days right away!

Currently the soft opening date is July 18th for Karaoke which will continue on Mondays. Confirmed upcoming shows include Aug 12 Hamell on Trial, Sept 22 Surfer Blood w/Fake Problems, Sept 28 Frank Turner, and Oct 19 Reverend Horton Heat w/Supersuckers. Tickets for these events will be available soon at Ticketweb.com, High Tides , and Hear Again Music as well as the venue.

Glory Days Presents is Gainesville, FL’s largest promoter of live music events since 2001. Glory Days celebrates 10 consecutive years as the foundation of live music in Gainesville, producing and promoting events at every local venue past and present. Owned and operated by UF graduate Patrick Lavery, Glory Days produced the Real Big Deal music festival in 2008, Gainesville’s first large scale outdoor music festival in almost a decade. The company also produces a large amount of events all over the state and Southeast – as far South as Ft Lauderdale and westward to New Orleans.

For more info, contact below:

Moe Rodriguez

[email protected]

INFO AND CONTENT COMING SOON:

facebook.com/doubledownlive

twitter.com/doubledownlive

myspace.com/doubledownlivegvl

Pat Lavery/Glory Days Presents!

Independent Promoter and Talent Buyer

Gainesville, Pensacola, Tampa, Orlando, Tallahassee, Ft Lauderdale, FL

Mobile, AL – New Orleans, LA

yeah everything i've ever heard associated with glory days is bad news.

He booked the first op!!! show in gainesville though, and he had young livers on the show. He told us he lost money at the show and didn't pay us. there was like 40 people there.

That's nuts. I went to college with Pat and have always known him to be a solid dude but it's lame shit not to help touring bands out.

i used to deal with pat like 8 years or so ago when he managed the ska band The Know How, definitely could be difficult but always proffesional and came returned favors

oh my god, i used to hook up the know how with CT shows all the time.. and this guy was up my ass about contracts for every show.. i'm like you don't get a contract and a gaurantee for me tossing you on last minute... we'll give you gas money if we cover our expenses (there was already 3 touring bands/out of state acts on the show).... he called me like every day for a week.

I haven't had any issues with the guy, but I know quite a few people who have issues with him.

Then I saw this:

“Common Grounds did a lot of things right, but some things didn’t work out for them,” Pat Lavery of Glory Days Presents! told us today. ”We’re focusing a lot on customer service, which is something that may have gotten lost at Common Grounds.

WTF?

http://www.insitegainesville.com/blog/2011/06/new-music-venue-replaces-common-grounds/#more-8187