Thinking about moving

If you can handle winters, move to Chicago. But if you don't handle snow well, you won't be able to handle it, because the winters can be pretty bad at times, and it freaks people out.

Great Music Scene.

Great Food.

Great People.

Great Public Transit System.

Great Museums.

Great Misc. Attractions.

Great History.

this is what austin has minus museums and not as quite as informative history. Though texas history is pretty amazing and the missions and battlegrounds are awesome to visit. fuck the alamo! we got heat though but lots of trees. anywhere you are, you're pretty much surrounded by trees. the parks, greenbelt, and swimming holes are all within city limits and within neighborhoods and what not. there are tons of trails to go bike riding as well. if you've been to portland it's kinda a sister city, except tons and tons of music on any given night. we also have the highest concentration of disc golf courses than any other city in the world. well if that's your thing. and probably one of the most accepting cities for heavily tattooed people. no joke. you can have a throat tattoo and go in and apply for a professional job and the 56 year old receptionist won't bat an eye, but probably ask you what shop you go to. everyone here is pretty much heavily tattooed no matter where you go.

and while i might be bias but can still say with confidence, i have to say austin has the most naturally beautiful women in the US on par. and they outrank men 2 to 1. not to mention almost all are approachable. i think everyone who's been here for sxsw, or any other event or vacation can pretty much back me up on this. i've had my share of good looking women and i'm fucking ugly!.

and for the most part, the job market is pretty good. though there are tons of college grads, jobs are still not hard to find. i work at a sandwich shop and i can still afford to live in a nice place and buy records and go on vacations.

come visit. you won't be sorry. because i can use one and would definitely take the weekend off for it.

chicago does have some amazing buildings though and architecture compared to this city though. i was amazed when i visited and wouldn't mind going back at some point to actually stay more than 4 days.

I grew up in Alaska so cold winters really don't bother me all that much. Not something that would stop me from moving somewhere. I currently just make coffee. I've had a bunch of random jobs. Will probably go back to school at some point which is something to consider I guess for new cities but not a deciding factor.

I grew up in Alaska so cold winters really don't bother me all that much. Not something that would stop me from moving somewhere. I currently just make coffee. I've had a bunch of random jobs. Will probably go back to school at some point which is something to consider I guess for new cities but not a deciding factor.

well UT while not the least expensive college has a endowment program and tons of financial aid that is given every year, then there's ACC that has tons of 2 year degrees and is cheap as shit for the average person. there are others in town, but those are private.

I voted "other"

move to Canada. Free health care!

you act like it's that easy.

I voted "other"

move to Canada. Free health care!

you act like it's that easy.

HAH I know it's not, but he has some time. I bet he could work it out, get a school visa or something...apply for citizenship or fall in love and marry the daughter of a "Mountie" or something... I don't know it was just an idea.

[image]

^

c'mon ammirite or ammirite????

If you can handle winters, move to Chicago. But if you don't handle snow well, you won't be able to handle it, because the winters can be pretty bad at times, and it freaks people out.

Great Music Scene.

Great Food.

Great People.

Great Public Transit System.

Great Museums.

Great Misc. Attractions.

Great History.

Sums this city up perfectly. Never had a bad time there.

Chicago's not cheap. It's a large city, but it's not on par with Boston or NYC from what I experienced.

living in chicago is pretty cheap (comparatively) if you search around a bit and get roommates. i currently live in a three bedroom apartment with free laundry and heat with 24 public transit a block and a half away. we pay $433 each. my utilities combined cost about $30 per person. although we don't live in the safest neighborhood, nothing would happen to you if you were aware of your surroundings. within two blocks of my house there are african, asian (spanning the continent) and south american food options of various nationalities, if you're into trying different foods.

cook county sales tax blows, but cheaper options are ALWAYS available. i would vote chicago. it wouldn't be overwhelmingly difficult to find a job here either. if you have questions or want advice on neighborhoods or anything else, send me a pm!