Scarface

******************SPOILER*****************************

Rappers (as well as kids in the projects and rednecks in meth labs etc) relate to it because Tony starts off with nothing. Everything he gets he gets by taking it from a society that he feels is trying to keep him down. No matter how violent it means he has to get, he feels it's justified because society is fighting back against him just as hard. But since people in these fields often feel that no matter what happens, something (be it another drug dealer or a cop or a snitch) will take it away from you. Thats why the final image of him floating dead in his fountain (now filled with blood) with the neon "THE WORLD IS YOURS!" resonates with a lot of these kids.

*********************END SPOILER**********************

If you hate the movie....you should watch it on TBS. It's a fucking comedy with all the dubbed over cussing parts. Lines like this in the movie go from:

"Where did you get a scar like this from? Eating pussy?"

To:

"Where did you get a scar like this from? Eating PINEAPPLE?"

You will laugh for hours.

When this shit came out in the day(and I can remember) it was the most violent movie at the time. I have seen it over 8 times and I like it. It kills a few hours. No other explanation needed. And the scene where Tony confronts Frank after the assassination attempt is fucking awesome. A pic of that should go in the Manly Man thread.

Scarface is an excellent movie, but I agree that it's overrated.

It's a good story, solid acting (Pacino is fucking great, the accent, the attitude, the 'over the top' larger than lifeness)

And he say's fuck like two thousand times.

Why hip-hop culture idolizes it? I think i'd have to agree with Jhulud, and it's about a mutha-fuckin' gangster. Check out your average hip-hop bling video and then check out Tony Montana's house...

And yes, there are a lot of better movies out there. (like Dog Day afternoon and the Godfather)

And I don't agree with comparing the Godfather with Scarface. The Godfather series is about the (Sicilian) mafia, Scarface is about Cubans and Colombian drug cartels...

And I don't agree with comparing the Godfather with Scarface. The Godfather series is about the (Sicilian) mafia, Scarface is about Cubans and Colombian drug cartels...

I know what the movies are about. I have seen them. I was comparing in the same genre not the same script or even nationality.

The ending is why it's iconic. I'll add a spoiler warning for the laymen, it honestly never occurred to me that anyone with a trace of cultural awareness didn't know the ending of Scarface.

nope. had no idea. like i said i tried watching it twice, but got bored and stopped watching it. whenever someone was talking about it i just tuned them out. I'm still going to attempt to watch it. like i said, i was only kidding about the spoiler alert

Guest scriptedrain

I watched it after playing through Grand Theft Auto: Vice City, so it was personally cool to see all the reverse-references. I don't think it's as amazing as it portrayed in the media, but I do think it's a good film worth seeing once. Like people have said, it's also important to take the time it came out into context.