PO: Wilco - The Whole Love

http://thewholelove.kungfustore.com/

Pretty stoked!

RELEASE DATE: September 27, 2011

The Whole Love is Wilco's eighth studio album and the first full length release on their own, dBpm Records. Recorded at The Loft in Chicago, The Whole Love boasts 12 new originals. Produced by Jeff Tweedy with Patrick Sansone and Tom Schick. Mastered by Bob Ludwig at Gateway.

An audiophile, 180-gram vinyl pressing of The Whole Love. This first edition pressing comes from the legendary Pallas in Diepholz, Germany, which has been in operation since 1949. The double LP, gate-fold cover is printed and assembled by Stoughton Printing in California using their paper-wrapped jacket. As a bonus, each vinyl copy includes a CD copy of the album in a custom wallet.

Side 1

Art of Almost

I Might

Sunloathe

Side 2

Dawned On Me

Black Moon

Born Alone

Open Mind

Side 3

Whole Love

Capitol City

Standing O

Rising Red Lung

Side 4

One Sunday Morning (Song For Jane Smiley's Boyfriend)

Sometimes It Happens

hmm, no pre order incentives.. gonna wait till i hear the whole thing and buy in-store if me likey..

This.

Especially when you'll be able to get it for $10 cheaper once it hits the big box stores with sales. $25 is just unreasonable unless you're going to add something cool in with it. A CD of the album is hardly a bonus, more of a pain in the ass for the sleeves to get caught on when putting them back in the cover than anything. I haven't owned a cd player in over 5 years.

hmm, no pre order incentives.. gonna wait till i hear the whole thing and buy in-store if me likey..

This.

Especially when you'll be able to get it for $10 cheaper once it hits the big box stores with sales. $25 is just unreasonable unless you're going to add something cool in with it. A CD of the album is hardly a bonus, more of a pain in the ass for the sleeves to get caught on when putting them back in the cover than anything. I haven't owned a cd player in over 5 years.

$25 is unreasonable for two 180g Pallas LPs, a Stoughton gatefold jacket, and a CD?

This.

$25 is unreasonable for two 180g Pallas LPs, a Stoughton gatefold jacket, and a CD?

Hmmm, well a couple of considerations I have for calling this "unreasonable":

1. As I mentioned, the CD is pretty much a no value added feature in my mind

2. I'm sure that this fancy German pressing plant and fancy paper company are great, and sure I want good-sounding well-packaged stuff, but I own lots of 180g records that look and sound really great that didn't cost $25, so not sure this is a huge upsell either

Perhaps my biggest reason is that when I think of preordering something without hearing it first, there better be a really good reason (ltd special edition, extra 7", etc). Or, offer a really good incentive price to get me to buy it. In this case, none of this was done, they are just offering the same product that you will be able to get 4 months from now after you've had a chance to really listen to the album, except for $10 more.

So I guess I'm not necessarily saying the product is not worth $25, I'm saying it is unreasonable for them to expect people to pay this much on just the hopes that the songs and package are great. I'm sure I'll end up grabbing this sometime, but with what is offered here, I'm in no rush.

(and fuck what is with the tote bags and shit, reminds me of the "moychendizing" scene from spaceballs)

All of Wilco's albums are the same price as this and have similar packaging. Not sure why anyone is surprised there is no colored vinyl, additional 7-inches, etc. For what it's worth I think they take a lot of care in the vinyl they release and I think Wilco are responsible for some of the best sounding LPs in my collection.

• 1 month later...