eBay bologna

So i saw two copies of a record I wanted. Both were being auctioned by the same person. In the title the one said "Hand Numbered #1/300" and the second one said "Hand Numbered #267/300". I purchased the one that said it was #1/300 to find out it isn't number 1. Am I wrong to have though I was purchasing 1 and should I open a dispute?

• Replies 173
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

So i saw two copies of a record I wanted. Both were being auctioned by the same person. In the title the one said "Hand Numbered #1/300" and the second one said "Hand Numbered #267/300". I purchased the one that said it was #1/300 to find out it isn't number 1. Am I wrong to have though I was purchasing 1 and should I open a dispute?

no, you're not wrong to do it because the item that arrived wasn't the same one that you bought. but it's pretty picky on your end.

Oh I don't want all my money back. I paid a lot more than what they go for and was mislead so i just want some of my money back, I'm still willing to pay a bit more than what they normally go for.

no, you're not wrong to do it because the item that arrived wasn't the same one that you bought. but it's pretty picky on your end.

Oh I don't want all my money back. I paid a lot more than what they go for and was mislead so i just want some of my money back, I'm still willing to pay a bit more than what they normally go for.

get a screenshot of the other auction listing, showing the number as different, open a case for a partial refund as the item you received was not what arrived. 10-15% i'd think would be a fair refund depending on how high the finishing bid was, and the popularity of the artist.

People that make incorrect listing on ebay are douches, but so are the people that buy a 'rare' or 'one off' item without asking any questions :)

get a screenshot of the other auction listing, showing the number as different, open a case for a partial refund as the item you received was not what arrived. 10-15% i'd think would be a fair refund depending on how high the finishing bid was, and the popularity of the artist.

People that make incorrect listing on ebay are douches, but so are the people that buy a 'rare' or 'one off' item without asking any questions :)

I figured since he had a second one listed as a different number and the price was significantly more that it was the real deal. I probably should have double checked, but too late for that now.

I figured since he had a second one listed as a different number and the price was significantly more that it was the real deal. I probably should have double checked, but too late for that now.

I think it's the hash before the number that is important here. And that the seller had two copies, both with different numbers.

#1/300, to me at least insinuates it is hand numbered, and is number 1 of the 300. And that listing another as #267/300 would indicate it's been hand numbered in the same way.

I can certainly empathise with the OP, but this could be a good lesson for future buys :) And hopefully not too expensive, of a lesson. If you aren't sure, ask. That is why the feature to ask questions is there

Are you kidding me? 1/300 means that it is one out of the three hundred made. Not actually number one. This is how records have been listed for years. Who cares that number you have, this isn't The White Album.

Although I do agree with you, "Hand Numbered #1/300" does give the implication that it is labeled #1 of 300.

I think it's the hash before the number that is important here. And that the seller had two copies, both with different numbers.

#1/300, to me at least insinuates it is hand numbered, and is number 1 of the 300. And that listing another as #267/300 would indicate it's been hand numbered in the same way.

I can certainly empathise with the OP, but this could be a good lesson for future buys :) And hopefully not too expensive, of a lesson. If you aren't sure, ask. That is why the feature to ask questions is there

Are you kidding me? 1/300 means that it is one out of the three hundred made. Not actually number one. This is how records have been listed for years. Who cares that number you have, this isn't The White Album.

Although I do agree with you, "Hand Numbered #1/300" does give the implication that it is labeled #1 of 300.

I see his point (given the second listing), and I'd imagine a fair number of people would attach special meaning/value to certain numbers. screeching weasel fans would probably want to have #27/x, potheads want #420/x, satanists want #666/x, and I'd like to have #729/x (that was my locker number in high school, but I'm not sure why it's memorable... anyhoo, if someone here has #729 of heavens "patent pending", hook me up). #1/x means you get the album cover that was numbered with the least amount of cramping in the wrist of whoever was numbering them.

is it rational? not really, but lots of people do irrational things

I see his point (given the second listing), and I'd imagine a fair number of people would attach special meaning/value to certain numbers. screeching weasel fans would probably want to have #27/x, potheads want #420/x, satanists want #666/x, and I'd like to have #729/x (that was my locker number in high school, but I'm not sure why it's memorable... anyhoo, if someone here has #729 of heavens "patent pending", hook me up). #1/x means you get the album cover that was numbered with the least amount of cramping in the wrist of whoever was numbering them.

is it rational? not really, but lots of people do irrational things

is this a serious thread? who cares what the number is? if you bought it for any other reason than the music, you are doing something wrong. what is with these "collector" threads lately? Guess Crosley stock has probably went up at least.

what's with all the "if you don't buy records simply for the music, you're an idiot" type of comments? do you buy everything you own for the exact purpose it was meant to serve? and what's wrong with buying variants of a record if it means you're supporting the artist (not the issue here, but this is a rant, so it doesn't have to be related)?

since you're from minnesota:

[image]

for everyone else:

[image]

I mean, come on!

on an unrelated note, I finally decided on an avatar...

is this a serious thread? who cares what the number is? if you bought it for any other reason than the music, you are doing something wrong. what is with these "collector" threads lately? Guess Crosley stock has probably went up at least.

what's with all the "if you don't buy records simply for the music, you're an idiot" type of comments? do you buy everything you own for the exact purpose it was meant to serve? and what's wrong with buying variants of a record if it means you're supporting the artist (not the issue here, but this is a rant, so it doesn't have to be related)?

since you're from minnesota:

[image]

for everyone else:

[image]

I mean, come on!

on an unrelated note, I finally decided on an avatar...

There were two copies of it and I was going to buy one of them either way. I thought it would be cool to own the first one numbered.