Riot Fest

went to 2 shows, the Congress theater show with Descendents and the 7 Seconds show at bottom lounge.

Congress Show was lame situation as usual, it's a bad venue and it sounds worse, and the staff of super coked up bouncers are even worse that the terrible sound.

If I wanted to pay $15 I could "upgrade" my ticket to have ins and outs privileges...I'm not kidding.

Sound was bad and muddy as most shows there are, I watched Menzingers for a bit, that band really doesn't do anything for me, Flatfoot 56 people went apeshit for em as usual, but again, I don't really like them so I left after 2 songs. I ended up not watching Strike Anywhere or Leftover Crack and hung out in the lobby catching up with friends.

Suicide Machines ruled, they played mostly harder edge songs, but it was really cool, they even played 2 black flag covers (Wasted and Fix Me), Derek came out and played drums on a song too...it was a solid set.

Despite the sound being terrible, the Descendents were INCREDIBLE. I haven't seen them since 1997...and even that was for only 15 minutes. I was tearing up by the third song.

7 Seconds show was amazing. They sounded raaaaaaaaad and mixed up their set a lot more than they have in the past few years...even busted out Satyagraha! that ruled. Finally Saw Dan Vapid and the Cheats who opened and they were really good, but the audience didn't really know how to take them since they were clearly there to see 7S...not so many power pop/pop punk fans in attendance. they start recording their album this week too (i'm not releasing it...not sure who is)

also the security staff at BL suck and ended up choking a kid who ran on stage after 7 seconds played to get the set list. seriously they put some kid in a choke hold and threw him off stage.

Missed X. Tried to get a nap in 'cause I'd been up since 5:30 in the morning. Slept too long and they were about to go on when I woke up.

Social D was a blast, aside from the shit-awful sound.

Saw a bit of the Danzig Legacy show, and I was really impressed. LEft early, though, 'cause I wanted to make sure we got to the Cobra Lounge in time for Teenage Bottlerocket.

TBR owned everything. Seriously. Holy crap. Crowd was god, and the security was good to people, and not a bunch of assholes.

Only saw The Menzingers at the Descendents show. Had to cut out for a 50th Wedding Anniversary. Got some expensive Italian food and an open bar out of it, though.

Went to the Beat Kitchen for the Red Scare Presents show that was going on, since Toby decreed that all Riot Fest passholders could get in free. Dead To Me were awesome, as was Sundowner. Good bands, good hangs, good crowd. SO many people playing the fest were there at the show, too.

Sunday, we decided to sleep and since Weezer decided to flip out because Mikey died, they wouldn't allow re-entry, and since I won tickets in order to let a friend who couldn't afford the single ticket in, I couldn't have arrived before them and come out, even though my festival pass was supposed to allow me to do that.

Also, as heightened as security was, that was the first night I went to Congress where I wasn't searched.

But Weezer was a good show, disappointed they played the Blue album instead of Pinkerton and then their selection of songs from 2000 onward could've been better, and I wish they'd have played "suzanne" as the b-side they picked. But whatever. Still had a good time.

Left after "Surf Wax USA" and headed over to AAA to se the Marky Ramone set. Aside from it being weird that Michael Graves didn't even try to sound like Joey, it was fine until the acoustic set Michael did. Decided the free Red Bull wasn't worth that, and we headed out, still satisfied.

Yep.

How was it? Give the deets!

what... you mean to RED BULL riot RED BULL fest????.... RED FUCKING BULL!!!!!! riot fest? NO! it's RED BULL FEST NOW! YEAH!

Fuck the congress theatre. Fuck everyone who is involved [running/organizing] riot fest. FUCK RIOT FEST.

That being said.... X was good, crowd was fun, sound was good. Social Distortion played the all time most boring set ever. Tons of new stuff, absolutely no surprises. That actually makes sense for Social D though... playin to please a festival type audience with just the hits... only shit that people will definitely know and be singing along to. Have I mentioned that their sound was awful because congress is awful? Have you picked that up yet? Don't worry, I'll mention it again.

Friday night: Danzig Legacy was totally amazing. Most of the danzig stuff was boring, the samhain was good/really really weird. The misfits songs with doyle were life altering. No matter how shitty the sound or how shitty congress is.... the 7-8 misfits songs were absolutely incredible. Total dream come true.

Saturday night: Wish I could have gotten to see the copyrights. Flatfoot 56? Seriously? People actually watched them? That's really sad. Christian skinheads? They are definitely one of the worst bands in Chicago. It's so unfortunate that they get booked on anything. Luckily I showed up late and didn't have to hear them pray.

Leftover Crack played the weirdest set I've ever seen them play. It was... prolly my 7th or 8th time seeing them. Stza appeared to be relatively sober... which is incredibly unusual and noteworth. They sounded good, played a super short set, threw in some choking victim covers. It was fun! Strange seeing Stza sober and not trying to start shit/falling over/actually singing.

Suicide Machines.... YAWN.... wow, is this 2002? who fuckin cares? not this guy, I'll tell ya that much. Totally lame. Didn't they lose their lead singer? Whatever, lame.

Descendents: Mind blowing, life altering, absolutely fucking perfect. Wow. Possibly one of the greatest live shows I've ever seen. They killed. They played every single song I've always wanted to hear. You saw complete strangers linkin up everywhere singin every word together. It was awesome. Dream.... realized.

Sunday: Weezer. So I wound up at Weezer. That was a mistake. Hahaha. I had to work this night... by the time I got out I had already missed 7 seconds... so I was like.... yeah, I was alive in the 90's, I'll go see Weezer. I really like blue and pinkerton.... but wow, they suuuuck live. It's like listening to a cd of them... except slower and more boring. Hahaha. Whatever, I gave it shot, what the hell.

There's a rundown of my riot fest experience. The descendants were worth every cent I spent on my wrist band ($75 from an awesome dude on the board, way under face value). It's a total bummer because this Mike tool who owns riot fest or whatever is fucking it all up and making Chicago look all shitty in the process. He's got what could be a really good festival on his hands and he keeps trying to expand it and make it this HUGE thing that gets him filthy rich... when in all reality it was far better a couple years back when it was just Saturday and Sunday.... Or Fri-Sun. Totally lame. This thing woulda been totally great if it were two days and they cut all the shitty bands from the lineup.

chicago's hardcore scene has a longstanding boycott against anything this asshole (Mike) does, so I sat it out per usual. bummer that the Descendents played (and played WELL, by all accounts), as I'd love to have seen them. can't reconcile that with the idea of letting 'RiotMike' (or is it RedBull Mike now??) make even a dollar off of me.

so it goes..

chicago's hardcore scene has a longstanding boycott against anything this asshole (Mike) does, so I sat it out per usual. bummer that the Descendents played (and played WELL, by all accounts), as I'd love to have seen them. can't reconcile that with the idea of letting 'RiotMike' (or is it RedBull Mike now??) make even a dollar off of me.

so it goes..

big ups cardiac. i shoulda boycotted but that wristband fell right in my lap. also... i lack scrupples/morals/values. seeing the descendents has always been my dream. fuck redbull mike.

Saturday night: Wish I could have gotten to see the copyrights. Flatfoot 56? Seriously? People actually watched them? That's really sad. Christian skinheads? They are definitely one of the worst bands in Chicago. It's so unfortunate that they get booked on anything. Luckily I showed up late and didn't have to hear them pray.

they signed to Paper and Plastic, so if they actually get around to putting out their album out get ready for everyone to lose their minds about these dudes.

I will say that as people, Tobin and Kyle are 2 of the nicest dudes around (the guitarist/bassist dudes that are both like 7 feet tall) ...that being said, I don't like their band.

Suicide Machines.... YAWN.... wow, is this 2002? who fuckin cares? not this guy, I'll tell ya that much. Totally lame. Didn't they lose their lead singer? Whatever, lame.

guitarist quit, they're just doing the band to have fun with it again.

Descendents: Mind blowing, life altering, absolutely fucking perfect. Wow. Possibly one of the greatest live shows I've ever seen. They killed. They played every single song I've always wanted to hear. You saw complete strangers linkin up everywhere singin every word together. It was awesome. Dream.... realized.

agreed 10,000%

not to sound braggy, but I'm thankful to the friends I had in the bands playing for guest listing me and having gotten to see the shows I saw and not given Red Bull Riot FestTM any of my money.

I'm envious. I bought way to many stupid fucking 6 dollar beers too.

Ugh. Fail.

just remember, and this goes for everyone...THERE WILL ALWAYS BE DISCOUNTED TICKETS FOR RIOT FEST SHOWS, wait, sorry, Red Bull Riot FestTM shows, my bad. There will usually be a groupon, there will be living social tickets and there will comp tickets put out around town.

I'm envious. I bought way to many stupid fucking 6 dollar beers too.

Ugh. Fail.

just remember, and this goes for everyone...THERE WILL ALWAYS BE DISCOUNTED TICKETS FOR RIOT FEST SHOWS, wait, sorry, Red Bull Riot FestTM shows, my bad. There will usually be a groupon, there will be living social tickets and there will comp tickets put out around town.

Definitely. Never pay full price for a show at congress. I wound up getting my friend a Descendents ticket offa groupon for $20. Face was like $43? They make it all back in beer/liquor though. It's almost as bad as House of Blues.

I used to have friends at cobra lounge and wound up with alot of free comp tickets through them, but alas that ship has sailed.

When did everything in Chicago get so shitty? It seems like everything is just about trying to not get absurdly price gouged rather than just going to a show and having fun. Has it always been like this? Have I just never noticed before?

Definitely. Never pay full price for a show at congress. I wound up getting my friend a Descendents ticket offa groupon for $20. Face was like $43? They make it all back in beer/liquor though. It's almost as bad as House of Blues.

I used to have friends at cobra lounge and wound up with alot of free comp tickets through them, but alas that ship has sailed.

When did everything in Chicago get so shitty? It seems like everything is just about trying to not get absurdly price gouged rather than just going to a show and having fun. Has it always been like this? Have I just never noticed before?

there's plenty of awesome still around, the only gouging comes from these big fest shows, you just gotta go to shows at like Pancho's or the Beat Kitchen, Subterranean, or the random houses that do shows...

I go mainly to Empty Bottle shows where the cost at the door is still usually $7 or $8 so $30+ for a ticket is just crazy to me. I know it's normal at this point to be that much, but since I've seldom ever paid that high, I still wince when I see it beside something I'd like to go to.