Blue Note/Music Matters Reissues

These are each 2XLP at 45 RPM. Picked up a copy of Grachan Moncur III's "Evolution". Extremely impressed with the sound on this. Pre-Ordered a couple more that are based on a similar line up of musicians. These are pricey as all hell (50 bucks) but worth it.

Not a huge jazz fan but what I like I like a lot.

http://www.musicmattersjazz.com/index2.html

Add "Our Man In Paris" to that list. Sonny's my favorite by a long shot but Dexter Gordon was amazing.

I have originals of so many of those already, but the reissues sound so good it's ridiculous. If I had five grand to blow on records I'd go nuts on that store.

You can get a subscription to alot of these reissues

I have a classics reissue test pressing of Coletrane's "Blue Train".

I haven't listened to it yet but I paid around $40 PPD for it. I toy with shelling out $500 for an original but it's just so much money. One of my favorite albums.

I feel lucky to have an original deep groove mono of Blue Train. Not mint, but sounds sweet. Would love to find some Hank Mobley originals, but the Mosaic box set of his Blue Note material is really the way to go, unless you are a millionaire.

I was gonna gripe that Giant Steps isn't on the list but then I remembered that it was issued on Atlantic who in my own opinion were rivalling Blue Note in many ways musically with the likes of Ornette Coleman around the time of the transition from bop to free jazz. I will say that Blue Note was unbeatable in terms of sheer packaging - really beautiful stuff. Has anyone heard the record where Madlib takes on cuts from the BN vaults and re-does them? Surprisingly good.

I was gonna gripe that Giant Steps isn't on the list but then I remembered that it was issued on Atlantic who in my own opinion were rivalling Blue Note in many ways musically with the likes of Ornette Coleman around the time of the transition from bop to free jazz. I will say that Blue Note was unbeatable in terms of sheer packaging - really beautiful stuff. Has anyone heard the record where Madlib takes on cuts from the BN vaults and re-does them? Surprisingly good.
I'll have to agree with you on blue note and Atlantic. Both were putting out very beautiful stuff as was Impulse. That madlib record was pretty great. I used to have a copy, but then let a friend borrow it and he ended up moving away without notice.

I have a classics reissue test pressing of Coletrane's "Blue Train".

I haven't listened to it yet but I paid around $40 PPD for it. I toy with shelling out $500 for an original but it's just so much money. One of my favorite albums.

I feel lucky to have an original deep groove mono of Blue Train. Not mint, but sounds sweet. Would love to find some Hank Mobley originals, but the Mosaic box set of his Blue Note material is really the way to go, unless you are a millionaire.

You are quite lucky. It's not the most valuable Blue Note but it's a tough one to find. And those heavy records from the 50s and 60s, especially being DG, play with some deep scratches.

What's the address on the label? Is it Lexington or W63rd?

I thought the Madlib stuff would be better than it is.

Also, while Blue Note were the leaders in jazz, IMO, it was do to Rudy Van Gelder. That guy produced the best jazz records along with the likes of Duke Pearson.

You are quite lucky. It's not the most valuable Blue Note but it's a tough one to find. And those heavy records from the 50s and 60s, especially being DG, play with some deep scratches.

What's the address on the label? Is it Lexington or W63rd?

West 63rd. To my knowledge, this was never issued with the Lexington address. Definitely not the most valuable, just the one that means the most to me. Blue Note was one of the most consistent labels across all genres.

A great early 60's title that seems to get overlooked a lot is "Little Johnny C" by Johnny Coles, a must have.

• 4 weeks later...

Just got Bobby Hutcherson's "Happenings" in the mail today. Really liked his playing with Jackie McLean and Grachan Moncur III on their albums. This is the second of these reissues I've picked up and am just very impressed at the quality and care put in to these. Expensive as shit yes, but once the needle lands, you know why.

Second song on this album, Boquet, is just gorgeous.

• 3 months later...
Picked up Jackie McLean's "One Step Beyond" yesterday. Great album. Sounds amazing.

Agreed, completely dig that album.

I finally got one of the 45 rpm reissues. Picked up Freddie Hubbard's "Goin' Up". I've had it on cd for a while and was hoping to someday get an original pressing, but that wasn't going to happen. The vinyl pressing sounds sweet. Can't go wrong with this line up:

FREDDIE HUBBARD: TRUMPET

HANK MOBLEY: TENOR SAXOPHONE

McCOY TYNER: PIANO

PAUL CHAMBERS: BASS

PHILLY JOE JONES: DRUMS

• 1 year later...