fucked again by pay pal.

Even as a buyer PayPal sucks. Most times I will pay, and assume shipping takes roughly 2-4 weeks. After a month, I will email the seller, we'll go back and forth and they say problem solved. I wait another 2 weeks for a new one to arrive, and I'm already over the 45 day window.

45 days is not enough time. I now have to get in the habit of opening a claim every time at 40-45 days if it hasn't arrived yet, which is a pain in the ass.

Luckily I use Visa for everything online, and they have refunded me the 2-3 times I've been ripped off and it was past the PayPal claim window. Twice they asked for emails, backup, etc. The last time they just refunded me $50 on my next statement without any documentation. It was great.

Whoa dude - how often have you been ripped off that you need "to get into the habit of filing a paypal claim" after 40 days?! I have never once in my history of buying records via the interwebz needed to file a paypal claim...and it's not like I'm some n00b with 4 LPs in their collection!

• Replies 68
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Even as a buyer PayPal sucks. Most times I will pay, and assume shipping takes roughly 2-4 weeks. After a month, I will email the seller, we'll go back and forth and they say problem solved. I wait another 2 weeks for a new one to arrive, and I'm already over the 45 day window.

45 days is not enough time. I now have to get in the habit of opening a claim every time at 40-45 days if it hasn't arrived yet, which is a pain in the ass.

Luckily I use Visa for everything online, and they have refunded me the 2-3 times I've been ripped off and it was past the PayPal claim window. Twice they asked for emails, backup, etc. The last time they just refunded me $50 on my next statement without any documentation. It was great.

Whoa dude - how often have you been ripped off that you need "to get into the habit of filing a paypal claim" after 40 days?! I have never once in my history of buying records via the interwebz needed to file a paypal claim...and it's not like I'm some n00b with 4 LPs in their collection!

4-5 times I've actually been ripped off (record was warped beyond belief, one item of an order didn't arrive, the sleeve was empty, etc)

Now I've probably ordered over 100 things online so the percentage is quite small, but if you let it go over 45 days you have no recourse with PayPal (luckily there is still Visa). So to be safe, if it isn't here by 40 days I'll file a claim and just note in the description of what the seller receives that it is no direct slight on them, but I need a plan if the item doesn't arrive.

I am unsure if opening claims that you end up clearing yourself has negative long-term impact on other people's PayPal accounts though.

4-5 times I've actually been ripped off (record was warped beyond belief, one item of an order didn't arrive, the sleeve was empty, etc)

Now I've probably ordered over 100 things online so the percentage is quite small, but if you let it go over 45 days you have no recourse with PayPal (luckily there is still Visa). So to be safe, if it isn't here by 40 days I'll file a claim and just note in the description of what the seller receives that it is no direct slight on them, but I need a plan if the item doesn't arrive.

I am unsure if opening claims that you end up clearing yourself has negative long-term impact on other people's PayPal accounts though.

They might start getting their funds held for 30 days because of your claims.

Well I'm not doing it to the same sellers every time (once it happens once I tend to avoid them). And if they get their funds held because of my one claim it's either because PayPal really sucks more than I thought, or they have had other problems in the past.

But if that is the case, I may try and use Google Checkout more as I'm hoping their terms are less stringent.

someone make a claim for a fake LP?I bought the QOTSA lp on blue and it's fake ,How it's work?Please help me

Unless they specifically said in the listing it was original, it's your fault for buying it. The listing likely said "Blue pressing of QOTSA - S/T" which isn't really a lie.

If you paid less than $300 for it, you should have known something was up.

You need to ask plenty of questions before placing your bid.

All of what he said.

Also, take note that whenever someone is selling a legit OG pressing of QOTSA - s/t that they're gonna be very descriptive in the auction. They will have multiple photos, explain the matrix numbers in the dead wax etc etc. There's a ton of people always selling the bootleg and it's usually a simple description with no pertinent information.

Unless they specifically said in the listing it was original, it's your fault for buying it. The listing likely said "Blue pressing of QOTSA - S/T" which isn't really a lie.

If you paid less than $300 for it, you should have known something was up.

You need to ask plenty of questions before placing your bid.

All of what he said.

Also, take note that whenever someone is selling a legit OG pressing of QOTSA - s/t that they're gonna be very descriptive in the auction. They will have multiple photos, explain the matrix numbers in the dead wax etc etc. There's a ton of people always selling the bootleg and it's usually a simple description with no pertinent information.

I've been waiting for the auction of someone selling a legit pressing and just having no idea what they have for years now. In maybe one or two cases the description was vague but asking questions proved it was legit. Unfortunately other people figured out what I did and ended up outbidding me, like they always do.

All of what he said.

I've been waiting for the auction of someone selling a legit pressing and just having no idea what they have for years now. In maybe one or two cases the description was vague but asking questions proved it was legit. Unfortunately other people figured out what I did and ended up outbidding me, like they always do.

Oh yeah, I've been doing that for years also. And I'm sure many others have as well. Me thinking I'm gonna finagle a great deal for myself but then 5 other people are bidding in the last few seconds as well. That damn OG s/t has eluded me for too long. The reissue is fantastic but I'm a QOTSA collector nerd so I want em all.

Oh yeah, I've been doing that for years also. And I'm sure many others have as well. Me thinking I'm gonna finagle a great deal for myself but then 5 other people are bidding in the last few seconds as well. That damn OG s/t has eluded me for too long. The reissue is fantastic but I'm a QOTSA collector nerd so I want em all.

Yeah, outside of test presses, it's really the only thing I need. One day I'll bite the bullet.

Paypal is a god fucking awful company. My account is under the 21 day incoming payments hold for absolutely no reason, they just randomly put me under it which is no bueno since I pay my bills with a lot of the money I get in it. The only way to get money released faster is to prove shipment of a purchase or to get positive feedback from a buyer. My payments are from Bandcamp purchases and digital art commissions, there's nothing physical to prove the shipment of and nothing for a buyer to leave feedback on, ebay isn't involved at ALL which is what seems like the expectation to even do anything about it.. I called them and explained that to them and they were just like "lol whatever dude we can't do anything about it, deal with it until we review your account in a month". Lost my goddamn shit.

I really wish the alternatives like Dwolla and V.me had a chance to provide some real competition. Paypal has become totally complacent in thinking they're the only option people have so they just treat people how they please, it's infuriating and absurd.

Guest deathbydrums
Paypal is a god fucking awful company. My account is under the 21 day incoming payments hold for absolutely no reason, they just randomly put me under it which is no bueno since I pay my bills with a lot of the money I get in it. The only way to get money released faster is to prove shipment of a purchase or to get positive feedback from a buyer. My payments are from Bandcamp purchases and digital art commissions, there's nothing physical to prove the shipment of and nothing for a buyer to leave feedback on, ebay isn't involved at ALL which is what seems like the expectation to even do anything about it.. I called them and explained that to them and they were just like "lol whatever dude we can't do anything about it, deal with it until we review your account in a month". Lost my goddamn shit.

I really wish the alternatives like Dwolla and V.me had a chance to provide some real competition. Paypal has become totally complacent in thinking they're the only option people have so they just treat people how they please, it's infuriating and absurd.

Sorry to hear this. If I understand correctly, I was in a similar situation a few months ago... barely any money in bank, little to no credit or savings... tight times. Paypal did the same thing. Dunno if they do that as a safety measure in case any further debts are incurred? Anyways, I feel your pain... it makes tough times even worse. Just an idea... put up a few things (they donjt even have to exist or really be for sale) on ebay for 99 cents and have friends buy them and give you immediate feedback. Dunno if that would help for sure or not tho. Good luck dude.

I found a loophole where payments don't get held if I ask people to send it as a personal payment but everything I got before I figured that out was locked down for nearly a month, I almost missed paying rent because of it two months ago.

They do it as a "safety measure" so you can't spend the money in case a buyer disputes or wants a refund. That way you'll be able to provide it which in some cases makes sense but considering I called and explained to them that there was no physical exchange of anything to prove or ebay transaction to leave feedback on (which for some reason is the ONLY recourse they give you to get funds released??) and they just blew it off, it's like, wow thanks guys, radical service. Their safety measures are poorly designed and often poorly executed. When you look at cases like that $2500 violin they told the dude to smash then refunded him and good god let's not even get into the Regretsy debacle, it really seems like their "precautions" are just a bunch of shit. They screw tons of people over and just profit from it. Paypal is essentially a private bank with none of the regulations, they just make up their own rules and treat every case as they please. I know a lot of people don't have any problems at all with Paypal but the inconsistency of their service and the way they handle a lot of disputes makes me incredibly uncomfortable with them handling my money. It's unfortunate that they're 100% dominating the ecommerce business because I'd like to switch to a different service but that cuts me off from the payments of basically anyone who'd want to commission me since almost all people have paypal and never anything else.

It took you a few days to figure out what QOTSA stood for?

Its not like I devoted much time to it, just a few minutes here and there. I am sure if I liked crappier bands I would have known instantly.

So I spent like the last few days wondering what QOTSA stood for, then I figured it out and was disappointed. You guys need to like cooler bands.

Sweet. Always lovely to see your horrible attempts at "trolling" every few months.

No trolling here, just letting you all know I was genuinely disappointed.

I went to the p/o today to see what they would say about the situation and quite frankly I already knew what was going to happen and it did. they put the little tracking number in the computer and said yeah just keep checking they must've got an overload of packages for christmas. The lady said when it does show up just contact paypal and say hey here is the deal. thats great but you only have 15 days after the case is closed to do that. I find it extremely irritating that out of the three I am the one who ends up being held responsible even though I did everything I was supposed to ,how professional of both companies

Well I'm not doing it to the same sellers every time (once it happens once I tend to avoid them). And if they get their funds held because of my one claim it's either because PayPal really sucks more than I thought, or they have had other problems in the past.

But if that is the case, I may try and use Google Checkout more as I'm hoping their terms are less stringent.

A little late to reply, but Paypal sucks more than people assume, especially for sellers.

I have only had one claim filed against me, and it was for a Bad Rabbits preorder this past spring. The customer filed the claim the day that I sent the record (which was two weeks (10 business days) after the preorder began, and hers was at the tail end of shipping out 200+ LPs, but I disgress) and when I contacted her, she just said "oh, I forgot it was a preorder" - she got her record and closed the claim.

Fast forward a month or so and paypal is now holding all of my funds because my activity "raised suspicions" and that I had a "history of buyer disputes" - when I called them to discuss it, I even explained that the buyer paid using media mail and lived on the opposite side of the country. I could've mailed it the minute she ordered it and it might not have arrived by the time that she filed the claim. They didn't care.

I'm not saying that you shouldn't file claims or anything, but this wasn't something that I was aware of paypal doing until it happened to me. It apparently only takes once. :-(