iPod FM Transmitter/Car Battery Question!

tl;dr: if i leave my ipod transmitter plugged in when i'm not using my car, can it completely drain the battery?

here's the timeline:

2009: get new car battery in car

2010: battery dies while in warranty; they test the car, find nothing wrong with it and replace the battery

2011 (january): get a new ipod and ipod fm transmitter

2012 (january): car won't start. take it back to the battery place, they test the car again, find nothing wrong and recharge the battery.

two weeks later: car almost doesn't start several times, take it back to the battery place, they recharge the battery, say it's fine, and blame the fact that it keeps dying on a parasitic drain from my remote start that was installed 2 years ago. they also try to tell me that because i only have a 15-30 minute commute to work each way, that's draining my battery. uhhhh ok, dude.

today: took the car to the place that installed the remote start. they load test it and say it's fine and there's no abnormal drain from that, but the battery is very weak and i should replace it. they suggest that it could be the ipod fm transmitter that i leave plugged in sometimes.

can just leaving it plugged in without having the ipod attached to it really drain a battery that fast? like, 2 weeks fast, after using it for a whole year with no problem?

It seems odd to me that the ipod fm transmitter would put that much strain on your battery, that would cause it to need replaced and not just drain it. It seems like they probably have tested your alternator, but it sounds like it is on it's way out. The only other thing I could think of with the ipod charger, is that there is some sort of problem in the lighter's connection to your car's electric system, which could cause it to pull way more then it should.

It depends on whether your car turns off that connection when you turn off the car. Some cars allow power to flow through the cigarette lighter/power adapter socket when the car is off and some cut the connection. If your charger/transmitter has a power indicator light that stays on when the car is off, that's a sign it's probably draining the battery.

yeah, the guy at the battery place was reluctant to replace the battery the first time (because it was under warranty) but said they tested all the other systems and whatnot and said there wasn't a problem anywhere.

the weird thing is that it will start hard sometimes, and when i give it gas, it will start and run fine for awhile. then randomly it won't start again.

i know the light on my charger stays on when i shut my car off, but i think it goes off after a minute or two kind of like my interior lights do. at least, i don't remember the light being on when i get in to start my car in the morning.

H8 CARS, GUYS.

Take the charger out when you get out.

obviously i can do that, but i just wanted to know if that was actually a plausible explanation for all the problems i was suddenly having with my car/the battery dying. i've had the transmitter for over a year and just recently in the last month have had problems with things.

sounds possible as long as if keeps sucking power. my transmitter shuts off after a minute or two when no music is being transmitted through it.

I would try the unplug for a while and see if the battery life improves. could be a faulty battery and they just don't want to replace it. could be a bunch of factors.

what's your transmitter model?

the tech that installed the remote start said the battery wasn't a very good one to start with, and barely had enough power to cold start my car. in a nutshell: NTB sold me a battery that really isn't good enough for my car/engine, hence all the problems i've been having.

when i looked back at my records, i had a problem and needed to get it replaced last november (when it got cold) and now (when it got cold), so more than likely it's a battery problem, since every other system in the car tested fine.

even though the battery's under warranty, they charged me for installation of a replacement, which is bullshit in my opinion. i'm gonna leave my charger unplugged at night just to be safe and hope this solves the problem.

this is the transmitter i have: http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000WKPHHO/ref=oh_o04_s00_i01_details

thanks for all the input, guysssss!

Also, at least once a week you should go for an hour long drive(or longer), it actually isn't good for your battery to o ly drive short distances.

It allows the alternator to recharge the battery fully. Regardless, if the battery itself had too low of a capacity for your car, bi amount of long driving will help. As it will shit itself far too often. What I would do, is get your cars ownership manual, have a look through it to see what voltage/amperage the manufacturer(Chevrolet), recommends. Look at the battery in your car now and if it's less than recommended. Take it back to where you got the battery installed, show them your ownership manual, and suggest that as professionals they failed to make sure you had the correct battery to begin with. Don't pay for anything.

If it is the right battery, take it back and ask for a bigger, more powerful battery. Hope this helps