How NOT to package records

jhulud

Yeah, from that same motherfucker on ebay who sent me Jets To Brazil! I saw your name in his feedback.

He's going to refund my money, because mine was trashed.

hey i think you sent me a message on ebay a little bit ago concerning this guy as well. i guess i'm lucky that my records came up in good shape, but it's just morainic to ship in a padded mailer like that.

Yeah, that was me.

It's supposed to reduce ring wear and seam splits. But I've always been worried about the record getting scratched. But I've never shipped a record, soo...

I guess I'm more concerned about scratching the record. I would prefer people shipped in the sleeve. I can deal with a seam split but if the record is scratched that really sucks.

I guess I'm not as much of a "collector" as some of you though. I buy records to listen to them. Of course I want the package to look nice but that's secondary.

dude if its in the paper sleeve and the plastic it won't get scratched. you're supposed to take home it out of the jacket.

I used to work for Canada Post. If anyone saw what happened behind the scenes - regardless of how a record was packed - it would make you sick to your stomach.

:-X

Thats why shipping records in a mailer is so important. When you stick it in a bubble mailer you get a fucked record, when you put it in an LP mailer, you (typically) get a record that isn't quite so fucked.

Also, I'm really surprised there are people on this site that don't know to mail records OUT of the sleeve to prevent seam splits.

For the record (har har), I actually never knew this was something you were supposed to do when mailing records. I learned the hard way a few months back when I sold a record to someone on this board and didn't remove it from its sleeve, and its seam split. I still feel bad about it. :(

this is just flat out fuckin dumb considering a record mailer is at least the same cost as that mailer, if not less.

not at all true. you can get a 12" bubble mailer for lps in bulk for about .35 a mailer.

whereas LP mailers approach 1.00 a mailer.

bubble mailers arent bad. as long as there is some kind of cardboard in it.

I understand taking records out to prevent seam splits. Sometimes I do it, sometimes I don't. My reasoning is: if it's a newer record and has just been opened, there is little to no chance the seams will split if it's shipped properly. For older records where the sleeve has started to wear a little already, I always take the record out just in case. I also do not remove the record from the sleeve if it is in a printed inner sleeve, because those tend to get damaged easier if packaged outside.

As for mailers, I always have a bunch laying around from records I bought, so they're basically free.