Record stores

good record stores don't.

one of my favorite store owners (charles @ my mind's eye) was explaining how he likes to price stuff low enough to be affordable, but high enough to try to discourage ebay flippers from coming in and cleaning him out. it's unfortunate, but i guess it's just the price we collectively pay for having the ability to buy virtually any record we want without leaving the house.

There's a "retail" price. A physical store has overhead and other expenses that online retailers don't have so that justifies the price. For instance, when I sell a common U2 or REM record at a record fair, I put $2-3 on it if it's a dollar record and not rare. At the store I work at, it would be $4.99.

It depends on the proprietor. It's tempting to say that stores in higher traffic areas (thus, higher rent and overhead) would sell for lower in order to motivate customers to buy in droves, but there are just as many reasonable vendors to pig headed ones regardless of popularity or obscurity of a location. Some sellers (the good ones) acknowledge that eBay prices and online auction prices are for a multitude of reasons (many bidders aren't near mom and pop used stores so they bid higher to avoid time and gas spent hunting, the record is rare, etc) and will price far lower - those are the ones who you see with a near constant turnover of stock and good word of mouth. There are others who will sell according to price guides and Popsike and no matter how beat up a record is, they'll make you cough up top dollar for it. These are the stores where turnover is the same from three years ago and will be the same three years from now.

The stores I go to used to have awesome prices. Now they got some dude that prices stuff at the last high price on pop sike. I had recently put some stuff on hold that didn't have ridiculous prices and when I went back the next day they were magically gone. I am pretty sure that same guy gets everything at cost and resales everything on ebay. one day I'd see a Francis the Mute for $90 and the next day it would be gone. I know most of the record collector's in town and no one would pay that price for it. Anytime new stuff comes in I always see him stash a bunch of shit behind the counter as well.