Using a toothpick/sewing needle to fix a record

So, I bought a new copy of Cursed III and the b side skips really bad. I've read that using a toothpick or sewing needle on the spots that skip can help solve the problem. The idea of doing this kind of scares me, anyone have any recommendations on the best way to do it or if I even should do it?

I've gotten some records that have actual bits of stuff in the groove, causing them to do the repeated skip over and over. I've taken a blade to the debris in the groove (never touching the record itself), and dislodged it, and now it plays as if it were just pressed.

It takes a steady hand...

EDIT: I would only recommend doing this if you CAN actually see what may be causing the skip, and I accept no responsibility for any damage you may do to your shit.

When I buff my records I normally use some of my household tools. MacGyver kind of stuff....

I make a 12x12" enclosure to place the record into, from there I pour some sort of home putty to make a mold of the grooves on the record. From there I take my buffer and buff the vinyl to a clean smooth surface. From there I chalk the putty models and proceed to hand etch the grooves back into the record. If problem still persists rinse and repeat

[image]

There was an equally hilarious and snarky thread like this that popped up a few months ago ...

http://vinylcollective.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=66604&start=0

Short answer - you'll do way more damage than good trying to stick a toothpick or needle into the grooves of a record. It's just too precise of a job and you'd need superfine instruments and the aid of a microscope to do it properly.

If there's something you can see that's lodged into one of the grooves, I guess you could try to use a knife to dislodge it, but I really wouldn't recommend it. There are plenty of other ways to clean your records. Just to name a few, the spinclean machine, wood glue or simply use a mofi brush / discwasher set and a little bit of elbow grease. You can even stick your records in the sick and blast them with the sprayer ... but try to keep the labels as dry as possible or they'll peel off.

When I got the debris, the only reason I took the blade to it was the fact that it was majorly sticking out of a groove to where I could feel it when I swiped my hand against that area, and could SEE the thing sticking out when bringing the record to eye level. I've not done this before or since.

But yeah, steady hand, got it out, and it played perfectly.