Tell me what to do in Chicago

rtw88

I'm only going to be there for like, 2 and a half days, so please tell me what is must see/eat/drink. Mostly interested in art/science museums, record stores not too far out of the way, and great places to eat and drink. The gals I'm going to be with are vegetarian, but I'm not. I'm really open to hear about most anything. I've got a hotel near Millenium Park I think. I'll have a car, but I'd prefer to walk or take a taxi or train. Do hotels in big cities even have parking? I don't think I've been on vacay in a large city since I was 10 or so.

when are you gonna be here?

the art institute of chicago is right by millenium park, so you'll have to hit that up. the modern wing is sweet. the national museum of mexican art is also awesome, and way way way underlooked in the scheme of attractions in the city (http://www.nationalmuseumofmexicanart.org/). easily accessible via the l.

you should check out the chicago cultural center right now, you'll be able to walk to it from your hotel. it's free, and right now there is an exhibition called morbid curiosity that shows iconography of death across the cultures of six thousand years. it's pretty damn sweet, and for free, you can't really go wrong. the depaul university art museum is brand new, right off the fullerton l stop, and has been getting a lot of attention recently from lots of publications (and i gotta rep it since i go to school at depaul/work with the museum).

reckless is a necessity, though you're probably better off going to the one up on broadway rather than downtown. you're gonna be near printer's row, where there are a bunch of cool used books stores.

some veg places i recommend (even though i'm not veg):

dragon lady lounge, at belmont and california

karen's, up on halsted in lincoln park

any number of indian places on devon

non-veg:

pequod's pizza can't be beat

hamburger mary's, in my opinion, is way better than kuma's and they brew their own beer

i'll add more when i think of some, i'm in a medicine haze right now

Museum of Science, Field Museum and Adler Planetarium are all pretty sweet and easily accessible via the L and buses. Plan to leave your car, and take transit everywhere. Your hotel will probably charge something like $40 a day for parking, so be ready for that. transitchicago.com for maps and info on getting around.

when are you gonna be here?

the art institute of chicago is right by millenium park, so you'll have to hit that up. the modern wing is sweet. the national museum of mexican art is also awesome, and way way way underlooked in the scheme of attractions in the city (http://www.nationalmuseumofmexicanart.org/). easily accessible via the l.

you should check out the chicago cultural center right now, you'll be able to walk to it from your hotel. it's free, and right now there is an exhibition called morbid curiosity that shows iconography of death across the cultures of six thousand years. it's pretty damn sweet, and for free, you can't really go wrong. the depaul university art museum is brand new, right off the fullerton l stop, and has been getting a lot of attention recently from lots of publications (and i gotta rep it since i go to school at depaul/work with the museum).

reckless is a necessity, though you're probably better off going to the one up on broadway rather than downtown. you're gonna be near printer's row, where there are a bunch of cool used books stores.

some veg places i recommend (even though i'm not veg):

dragon lady lounge, at belmont and california

karen's, up on halsted in lincoln park

any number of indian places on devon

non-veg:

pequod's pizza can't be beat

hamburger mary's, in my opinion, is way better than kuma's and they brew their own beer

i'll add more when i think of some, i'm in a medicine haze right now

I love Hamburger Mary's!

Ah yes, parking appears to be $40 a day. Anywhere safe to park the car cheaper?

Would it be worth it to park far away from the action for cheap and just ditch the car there while I'm in town?

In the half-dozen+ times I've been to Chicago, I've never had a car. I'm sure there's somewhere you could stash it, but maybe a local can chime in.

Thanks! I think what I'll probably do is park in a lot I found by the airport. It's a park and ride lot out by the airport that costs $12 a day, then I'll just take the train into the city.

I haven't decided if I want to get a citypass or not. I definitely want to go to the museum of science and industry, which is pretty cheap by itself. I was looking at the aquarium, and it's $8 for general admission, and $30 for the next level up. Anyone know if general admission is worth seeing/is it worth the extra $20 for the exhibits you get with that ticket?

that's a great idea honestly. safe, peace of mind. if you're gonna be travelling at all (which i imagine you will be) it's worth getting a cta pass. one-way rides are like $2.25 now. this adds up very quickly. if you go down to the museum of science and industry i recommend going to the oriental institute also. it's free, and has loads of cool stuff. walking around u of c's campus is really fun in it's own right too.

Gingerman is a wonderful bar, I would also recommend the mutiny (shitty dive) play some bowling at the old fireside bowl on Fullerton. Go eat at Kuma's (way fucking better than 'hamburger Mary's'). There is an amazing Chinese restaurant that looks kind of like a whole in the wall. It's called seven treasures, it's open til 2am, it's in Chinatown though.