Speakers recommended for Marantz 2230

I need some good advice about my Marantz 2230. The story is that I know electronics on a very basic level. My love for vinyl records began about 6 years back when my uncle gave us his old Seeburg jukebox, that was covered in an 2 inches of dust. We had it resurrected, and instant love for vinyl happened. It started with 7" 45rpm record and then to LP's too. Most of them came from garage sales, estate sales etc. Then one day I walked into an estate sale and bought myself a Marantz 2230 in a beautiful wooden case for a five dollar bill. At the same sale for $5 dollars I also bought a 1970's Sony turntable to play my records. Problem is I have a set of Sony speakers that are 200w and after about 30 min. the right speaker gets distorted. The Marantz receiver is a 220w. I think I need better speakers, but what kind? I have had my Marantz controls cleaned by a stereo repair shop about six months ago, thinking that was the problem. Also the right speakers seems dominant? Doesn't seem to balance just right. What do you think??

I think you should switch the right speaker with the left speaker. If the problem switches sides, you need speakers. If it doesn't switch sides, you've got an issue with the receiver. Or, worst case scenario, only one of your problem switches sides and you have an issue with both.

Not to say these are the only possible problems or ways to troubleshoot them, but it's a good place to start.

Provided you aren't using some kind of weird speakers from a boom box or something, the "wattage" shouldn't be an issue at normal volume levels.

Speakers and wattage have nothing to do with it. It's all about ohms. It could be the speaker crossovers are shot, or the amp sucks, your speaker cable sucks, the dude who "restored" your amp sucks. I'd sell the amp and buy some modern equipment. Vintage equipment is great, if you know how to rebuild stuff yourself or have a close friend go can. A lot can go wrong with 40 year old electronics.

I'd sell the amp and buy some modern equipment. Vintage equipment is great, if you know how to rebuild stuff yourself or have a close friend go can. A lot can go wrong with 40 year old electronics.

Totally disagree with buying modern. Your Marantz is a sweet vintage receiver with great sound. If you find out it needs repair just do the research and find someone. It took me a while to find a good repair guy, but it was worth it.

Your receiver was built back when people actually kept their electronics for more than just a couple years. I have a 2245 and wouldn't trade it for any of the new landfill shit.

The first thing you should do is find someone reliable that will inspect and, if needed, repair your amp, then work from there. There's an infinite amount of possible reasons why you're experiencing problems, and guessing won't do you much good.

Also:

There are two kinds of fools. One says: this is old and therefore good. The other says: this is new and therefore better.