PO: Brendan Kelly and the Wandering Birds CD/LP

• Replies 91
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

For what it's worth, Reckless should be re-stocked by tomorrow. I guess all their locations sold through their copies.

Reggie's/Record Breakers will have more on Tuesday too...

Now if only Laurie's Planet of Sound would come around...aagghh. Anyone shop there?

I do, I can't get em to bite either...I put some CDs on consignment there years ago, then lost the slips in a move and was shit out of luck on ever trying to get paid.

I get my supplies for Laurie's (bags, mailers, etc.), but I usually don't find stuff I want to buy in the way of vinyl.

They sell mailers and shit? Huh.

Sorry to hear about your loss, Justin! I went in there the other day and I got the stereotypical rude treatment from the staffers. Just browsing, but they closed the store early and shooed me outta there. Ha. I guess business must be THAT good!

I get my supplies for Laurie's (bags, mailers, etc.), but I usually don't find stuff I want to buy in the way of vinyl.

They sell mailers and shit? Huh.

Sorry to hear about your loss, Justin! I went in there the other day and I got the stereotypical rude treatment from the staffers. Just browsing, but they closed the store early and shooed me outta there. Ha. I guess business must be THAT good!

Yeah, the mailers run anywhere from $1 to $1.50 plus tax. I should probably just order the damn things from bags unlimited myself, but I lack the space to house 50-100 LP mailers, and that's the amount that would make buying them in bulk from BU worth doing.

very sad this didn't come with a download

guess i'm off to find a place to steal it.

I've inquired with manufacturers and other labels and it's my understanding that only 1% of DL codes are actually used. Gotten a few complaints about it, but vinyl customers do nothing BUT complain, so I don't really know how to interpret the inquiries. Seriously, I don't think I have EVER got any positive feedback from vinyl buyers. The latest, greatest one was something like, "Just a plain gatefold 7" and not a die-cut? Lame." I seriously do not understand this generation of vinyl collectors...

I've inquired with manufacturers and other labels and it's my understanding that only 1% of DL codes are actually used. Gotten a few complaints about it, but vinyl customers do nothing BUT complain, so I don't really know how to interpret the inquiries. Seriously, I don't think I have EVER got any positive feedback from vinyl buyers. The latest, greatest one was something like, "Just a plain gatefold 7" and not a die-cut? Lame." I seriously do not understand this generation of vinyl collectors...

SWEET, I'm now part of the 1%!!

i always use my downloads. I haven't been able to track down an illegal download, so if you want to forward me on that would be nice.

i use to buy CD's, they were good for getting on my ipod

now i buy lp's, they suck at getting on my ipod

download make lp's the perfect solution.

without downloads with my vinyl is just me being a lazy sucker.

Not everyone has record players in their cars ???

Could've just said "Hey man thanks for supporting my label. E-mail me and I'll help you out." Instead you gotta whine about whining. The simplest things other labels do you get all uptight about. I don't get it.

here's a positive/non-complaint comment:

thanks for putting this (and the sundowner record) out on vinyl. if you sold test presses, I'd totally buy one of this and four one five two to further support you and your label. if I felt really ambitious, I'd see if sean nader or someone would paint up record covers for them (I've had kepi ghoulie do that for ~6 test presses, and it's fun)

and since I feel like that test press part comes across as a complaint (I've emailed you before, and I believe you said something to the effect of "test presses belong in the hands of the label and the artist, so I don't sell them", and that's fair), it was supposed to be an indication that I like some of your releases enough that I'd be willing to pay ~$100 to have something that will just sit on my shelf if it helped you put out more great records.

people complain a lot, but that's just the vocal minority i would think... presumably there are lots of people that buy your vinyl that just don't bother going online and posting that they're satisfied, as i'm sure i will be when this record arrives.

on a somewhat unrelated note - is there anything going on with suburban home putting out delusions? haven't heard anything in months

Not everyone has record players in their cars ???

Could've just said "Hey man thanks for supporting my label. E-mail me and I'll help you out." Instead you gotta whine about whining. The simplest things other labels do you get all uptight about. I don't get it.

Seriously. Being nice to your customers goes a long way. Go into the DFA Records thread and read how its done. Ive never seen it to be appropriate to thrash the people who support your livelyhood in anything you do.

Seriously. Being nice to your customers goes a long way. Go into the DFA Records thread and read how its done. Ive never seen it to be appropriate to thrash the people who support your livelyhood in anything you do.

Yikes, you guys misunderstand a lot of things. First off, this isn't my livelihood, not sure where you get that from or how that would affect my opinion.

I don't feel like I am "thrashing" anyone or "whining" by pointing out that the online vinyl scene is a bit kooky. Don't be so sensitive. I honestly don't get it, and I don't understand how my confusion somehow equates to "not being nice". I'm plenty fuckin' nice! Here's the impasse: I'm having a hard time understanding why people buy this shit if they're not buying it for the music. Apparently the people on VLV and other forums feel the same way about VC too. And to be honest, I don't really care about people that just collect this stuff to flip it or put on a shelf. The music we work with is for listening.

So while we're super stoked and gracious that people keep these bands healthy by paying for music, I simply don't understand why you wouldn't buy the album off iTunes if you wanted the mp3s. Hell, it's cheaper too!

We've never had DL cards in our LPs (never been brought up til now either) and we never advertised this LP as having a DL card. I don't see what we did wrong? Further, it's silly and disingenuous to make some passive-aggressive dig/threat that "now you have to steal the mp3s" because of it.

Lastly, I'm not familiar with DFA, but I've been putting out records in three different decades now, so I'll keep my own counsel on how to release an album. I do it for fun and the love of the bands, and I hope that's why people check out the music. It's crazy how different the response is between putting out a record and putting on shows. Shows are great because you get to see people face to face and everyone's having a good time and enjoying themselves. LPs are like the polar opposite of that, I hear nothing but complaints from people over the internet and questions about pressing numbers and color variations. Baffling shit. I've never used an emoticon in my life but I'd sum up this all up with this one: :-/

tldr!

i'm more confused than ever.

do you think that because I want a download code that I don't care about the LP? i've been buying and listening to vinyl for half of my life, a good 16 years now, and I love them.

while I love music, I don't normally buy multiple copies of anything. so buying an LP off of you for an artist I love is an easy choice, but i'm not into paying for something twice.

no matter how much i love vinyl it is still impossible to go for a walk and spin a record or spin a record in my truck or plug my vinyl into a friends stereo.

how much does a download with a record cost anyway?

Who cares why we want the pressing numbers or the number of variants. It's to put on a list to make other people aware of. (tradelist) Yeah, it feels cool to have a copy of the Falcon's Unicornography on black vinyl, but I had to pay 40$ for it. and I don't mind paying the extra money. I've been on both sides of the fence flipping shit. I've had to pay 120$ to see Jimmy Eat World play Clarity cover to cover. I sold my original pressing of Clarity to buy that ticket. (Luckily got a repress at the show). Everything comes full circle.

Yikes, you guys misunderstand a lot of things. First off, this isn't my livelihood, not sure where you get that from or how that would affect my opinion.

I don't feel like I am "thrashing" anyone or "whining" by pointing out that the online vinyl scene is a bit kooky. Don't be so sensitive. I honestly don't get it, and I don't understand how my confusion somehow equates to "not being nice". I'm plenty fuckin' nice! Here's the impasse: I'm having a hard time understanding why people buy this shit if they're not buying it for the music. Apparently the people on VLV and other forums feel the same way about VC too. And to be honest, I don't really care about people that just collect this stuff to flip it or put on a shelf. The music we work with is for listening.

So while we're super stoked and gracious that people keep these bands healthy by paying for music, I simply don't understand why you wouldn't buy the album off iTunes if you wanted the mp3s. Hell, it's cheaper too!

We've never had DL cards in our LPs (never been brought up til now either) and we never advertised this LP as having a DL card. I don't see what we did wrong? Further, it's silly and disingenuous to make some passive-aggressive dig/threat that "now you have to steal the mp3s" because of it.

Lastly, I'm not familiar with DFA, but I've been putting out records in three different decades now, so I'll keep my own counsel on how to release an album. I do it for fun and the love of the bands, and I hope that's why people check out the music. It's crazy how different the response is between putting out a record and putting on shows. Shows are great because you get to see people face to face and everyone's having a good time and enjoying themselves. LPs are like the polar opposite of that, I hear nothing but complaints from people over the internet and questions about pressing numbers and color variations. Baffling shit. I've never used an emoticon in my life but I'd sum up this all up with this one: :-/

tldr!

Man you take everything the wrong way. Someone who bought a record was just a lil bummed about not getting a download. I'd imagine most people buy LP's to listen on their turntables. I do and if it doesn't come with a download I download off Mediafire or something but its nice not to. Again, no one said you had to press 6 different colors with a quadruple gatefold from Pirates Press with a bonus water bottle or even simply provide a download code (a lot of labels don't) but its silly to call out someone or say its a passive aggressive threat by finding a way to listen to an album they like on their iPod because their turntable is not portable. While no one here is saying you have to provide a download card, keep in mind not everyone can buy the album on multiple formats. My point is the way you reacting to these posts you're making the issue bigger than it is.

Also, you really don't have to "understand" why people like knowing pressing numbers, variant collecting, yada yada yada. You've just got to realize that they do and decide from a business perspective whether or not to capitalize on that opportunity. Bottom line is you can do whatever the heck you want. I just know if I was putting out records and trying to maximize my profits that I would also cater to the collector side of this whole vinyl business. Just seems the way things are trending these days. As far as test presses go, there are definitely ways to use them to market your regular release or even put them up for a charity auction or something. I don't believe theyre useless when they do hold value to people. I was able to get a copy of The Broadways - Broken Star test press from a charity auction Mike Park did on ebay a number of years ago and now it proudly hangs framed on my wall of my record room. After all of these years it still is a joy to look at (my favorite punk album of all-time and a cherished reminder of my High School youth) and I've still got the regular release to play on my turntable.

You've just got to realize that they do and decide from a business perspective whether or not to capitalize on that opportunity.

I think I have decided to not capitalize on it. The good news is that there are all sortsa new labels popping up more than happy to exploit that avenue and they'll be doing a pre-order 9 months in advance. Man, those guys REALLY got it figured out!

Seriously though, in regards to the other stuff, I'm right there with you in terms of how stoked I get on music. But no test pressing in the world is worth more to me than the actual songs. The collector market has nothing to do with what we do, it just seems to get in the way.

All I know is I'm still stoked on this record and I'm excited to pick it up at the show at the BEat Kitchen, and I'm happy to have to option to just get it straight from you and Brendan rather than a middle man.

Fuck yeah, show-goers are the best! You see this, folks? Vinyl nerds need to get out more.

Yep, buy it at the show and all proceeds will go to BK himself. Well, his wild-ass kids too...

Seeya there, dude.

You've just got to realize that they do and decide from a business perspective whether or not to capitalize on that opportunity.

I think I have decided to not capitalize on it. The good news is that there are all sortsa new labels popping up more than happy to exploit that avenue and they'll be doing a pre-order 9 months in advance. Man, those guys REALLY got it figured out!

Seriously though, in regards to the other stuff, I'm right there with you in terms of how stoked I get on music. But no test pressing in the world is worth more to me than the actual songs. The collector market has nothing to do with what we do, it just seems to get in the way.

So what exactly is your reasoning as to why its wrong to sell a test pressing? I kind of look at it as an artist proof on a print run. Just curious.

So what exactly is your reasoning as to why its wrong to sell a test pressing? I kind of look at it as an artist proof on a print run. Just curious.

I'll answer that when I have more time, but for now, here's a new interview that's pretty funny:

http://popstache.com/features/qa/brendan-kelly-interview/

Odd Future discussed, always a good time...