Turntable to Speakers Order Question

Hey, I'm hoping some of you kind folks can help out here.

I've finally got myself some speakers, and am seeing that a turntable needs to be connected to a receiver before the speakers. Does it have to follow a specific order with a receiver or amp? or...

is it possible for me to go from my turntable (Pro-Ject Debut III) to a Pro-Ject Phono Box S Preamp (http://www.needledoctor.com/Pro-Ject-Phono-Box-S-Phono-Preamp) to a pair of speakers (http://www.theaudioinsider.com/product_info.php?p=swan-m200mkii-active-desktop-loudspeaker-system&products_id=184&osCsid=838b833e30661a9214d97851c90fe84f)?

Any help would be appreciated, thanks!

I don't mean to sound like a dick when I say this but just break it down. PRE-Amp. You need a receiver.

ha, ha. I understand that I would need a receiver after a preamp, I was just hoping someone would let me know if at all possible, those specific speakers could take the pre amp alone, as I had heard around other forums that speakers like these could do it. The person above me has said that it might be possible, so that's kind of what I was hoping for. I guess I should have been more specific.

With my first set-up I could connect my preamp directly to monitor speakers. But after upgrading to floor standing speakers I needed a receiver. It looks like you might be able to connect your preamp directly to those speakers.

I think I might just try this first, before cancelling my preamp order and looking for a receiver. If not, I could always find a receiver. Thanks!

Those are desktop speakers that have built-in amplifiers and will connect to any line-level source like your computer, CD player, iPod, etc etc. Turntables don't produce a very powerful signal, which is why they need "pre-amplification" to convert that signal to a line-level stage. That's essentially what your Pro-Ject Phono Box will be doing.

In short, you should be able to run your TT through the pre-amp and then connect your speakers to the pre-amp via the included rca-to-rca cables. And you've got your volume, bass and treble controls right there on the face of one of those speakers.

For anyone reading this who has floor-standing or bookshelf speakers: yes, you would need a receiver (or integrated amp) in addition to your pre-amp ... unless of course your receiver already has a built-in phono stage, in which case you wouldn't need the pre-amp.

Those are desktop speakers that have built-in amplifiers and will connect to any line-level source like your computer, CD player, iPod, etc etc. Turntables don't produce a very powerful signal, which is why they need "pre-amplification" to convert that signal to a line-level stage. That's essentially what your Pro-Ject Phono Box will be doing.

In short, you should be able to run your TT through the pre-amp and then connect your speakers to the pre-amp via the included rca-to-rca cables. And you've got your volume, bass and treble controls right there on the face of one of those speakers.

This is what I was hoping for. thank you very much for the help and for confirming my idea. Glad I don't have to cancel my order for the phono box. I was a little afraid of having to go out and find a receiver when I spent pretty much all of my current spending money on these speakers..

Yeah, what bearchuck said. On a side note, those speakers are pretty damn good for the money, so your setup should be really solid.

yeah, definitely. thanks! I think it might have been you that recommended them a while ago to me. maybe not. ha, ha.

A little off track, but I bought a sound bar for my turntable. Sounds great. Use the RCA to connect and also has a line in that I use to connect to my Ipod or phone. Also has a wireless sub-woofer. If you are really high-end you can get one with blue tooth and connect to a blue tooth enabled tv.