Non-Vinyl collectable help?

Hey peeps, so here's the deal -- My uncle passed away a little over a week ago. I've been going through some of his stuff and have come across a couple of different sets of items that may be worth some money if I talk to the right people. I just don't know who those people are. I'd like to get some of this stuff sold off to help my grandfather out with funeral costs and other medical bills.

I don't have a full inventory as of yet (probably will in the next week or so) but he was a HUGE Dr. Who fan so he had a bunch of stuff related to that. He also had a couple boxes of comics. He also had a nice pile of football/baseball/basketball cards. A great deal of them are packs that haven't even been opened. I think he was buying them sometime 70's-90's.

If anyone here is interested/knows someone who may be interested/can turn me on to a good reference site or just give any kind of help at all, please post in here or send me a message. Any help at all would be awesome. I'd like to lighten the load for my grandpa. I'll post some of the stuff I have when I'm able to get back over there and look at them more. Thanks

I know this is a simple answer but the best and easiest place to research a lot of that type of stuff is through eBay. I don't know much of anything about Dr. Who but I know older stuff can have value.

I happen to be very knowledgeable on sports cards as I used to buy and sell cards from the ages of 12-18. I can tell you straight up that 80% of shit from the 90s is damn near worthless but obviously not everything. There's many older items that can bring in some pretty decent money. I can help you with the cards if you want and you can contact me via PM. Detailed pictures of what you have would obviously be very helpful.

I haven't actively sold cards in 10 years but I still know a lot about them.

I know this is a simple answer but the best and easiest place to research a lot of that type of stuff is through eBay. I don't know much of anything about Dr. Who but I know older stuff can have value.

I happen to be very knowledgeable on sports cards as I used to buy and sell cards from the ages of 12-18. I can tell you straight up that 80% of shit from the 90s is damn near worthless but obviously not everything. There's many older items that can bring in some pretty decent money. I can help you with the cards if you want and you can contact me via PM. Detailed pictures of what you have would obviously be very helpful.

I haven't actively sold cards in 10 years but I still know a lot about them.

Thanks a lot man! All of this stuff is still at my grandpas house in Chicago (I'm like an hour away). I got a bunch of shit going on this week so i can't get back to grab them until early next week. When I start going through them i'll shoot you a message and send you some pics of stuff. Thanks again man

Any comic after 1986 is the same. For some reason that was the year that comics actually had some value. If they are older than that, or seem to be a little better, ie its a #1 or special edition, then I'd say hit up your local comic book store, or type it into google, there are a bunch of comic book archive sites and stuff that will tell you if they are worth anything

• 2 weeks later...

Alright dudes --

So I wasn't able to go back and look at shit when I wanted (car troubles), but was there today and started going through some stuff. I got all the comics with me. There's at least 500 of them. I went through about a tenth of that tonight. I'm finding a good amount of superman/supergirl stuff. There's also a decently sized Avengers collection from the mid 80's that I've gone through so far. My other uncle ended up taking the baseball cards back to New Mexico with him because he has a friend out there that can help him out with that I guess.

As for Doctor Who stuff, I have a small stack of books, an old tardis tuner from '79 (which from what I understand is rare), a signed hand numbered (107/1000) picture of the first six people to play Doctor Who, individual laminated posters of the first five Doctors, and a couple of records (a picture disc and a 2xLP set of sound effects with an extra 7" and poster. I can post pics when I go through stuff more thoroughly. Once I get to them more thoroughly i'll PM people who I've talked to as well. Thanks again for the help everyone. Hopefully I can get some decent cash for my grandpa from this stuff.

the same goes for comics, pretty much.

i might be interested in some of those comics tho. i'm a dweeb like that.

could you PM me a list when you get around to it?

Of course dude. My other uncle is going to a convention this weekend and asked that I try and get a list of stuff to him by then so he can talk to some people. I'll PM you when I have it all done!

My (other) uncle doesn't want to sell anything just yet. I'm sure he will want at some point though. I PMd people who showed interest towards the comics. I have the list done and it's full of 655 comics. Half of that is marvel/DC. Memorable mentions from the second box are big Badger and American Flagg collections (these take up at least half of the second box) and some Green Hornet stuff. If anyone wants anymore info on anything mentioned, shoot me a PM and we can talk about it until (hopefully) my (other) uncle wants to sell off the stuff. He now just wants me doing research on everything for now. Thanks to everyone who has helped.