Cover Art for self released cds

Hey everyone. So my band is finishing up our album and we're starting to think about what we're going to do for cover art. Does anyone know any reasonably priced artists that do cover art for albums? Anyone on here that's been in my position do you just ask friends or whatever to design something?

I've been talking to a guy who gave me a quote of $200-$400 for a complete package which seems pretty reasonable but I've never really been in the position to look for this kind of thing.

We're kind of an 80's hardcore punk style band. Looking for something along the lines of Raymond Pettibon's black flag covers.

Hey everyone. So my band is finishing up our album and we're starting to think about what we're going to do for cover art. Does anyone know any reasonably priced artists that do cover art for albums? Anyone on here that's been in my position do you just ask friends or whatever to design something?

I've been talking to a guy who gave me a quote of $200-$400 for a complete package which seems pretty reasonable but I've never really been in the position to look for this kind of thing.

We're kind of an 80's hardcore punk style band. Looking for something along the lines of Raymond Pettibon's black flag covers.

You need an illustrator. Do you have any friends that can draw? If you find or pay for and illustration I can guide you or help you with layout. I'm sure some folks on here have the applicable skills, maybe you can pay them.

Also that price quoted is really cheap. I'd be wary of the quality, but if you've seen prior work from that person and still feel good. Go ahead!

When my band back in 2007 was recording our first EP, I was in serious talks with John Gourley of Portugal. The Man about doing our art for the front and back of a CD slipcase. I believe the numbers we discussed were between $200-$400. This was back right after they put out Waiter, though. I would guess he has bigger fish to fry these days. I also can't put you in contact with him, because we communicated mostly via MySpace and in person when they would come through Salt Lake. So yeah. I'm not much help.