PO: My Chemical Romance - Conventional Weapons

mikeytags

http://www.mychemica...weapons-details

CONVENTIONAL WEAPONS is a 10- song series of previously- unheard material to be released over the next five (5) months. The double- sided singles will be available worldwide in both digital and 7" vinyl format. Vinyl will be available at most independent music retailers in countries worldwide.

Here are the track lists and release dates for each of the five (5) double- sided singles:

Title: Number One

A-side: Boy Division

B-side: Tomorrow's Money

Release date: October 30, 2012

Title: Number Two

A-side: AMBULANCE

B-side: Gun.

Release date: Black Friday, November 23, 2012

Title: Number Three

A-side: The World Is Ugly

B-side: The Light Behind Your Eyes

Release date: Tuesday, December 18, 2012

Title: Number Four

A-side: Kiss The Ring

B-side: Make Room!!!!

Release date: Tuesday, January 8, 2013

Title: Number Five

A-side: Surrender The Night

B-side: Burn Bright

Release date: Tuesday, February 5, 2013

Right now, you can pre-order the Limited-Edition Vinyl Box Set of CONVENTIONAL WEAPONS through the Official My Chemical Romance Online Store. We are also offering the purchase of the vinyl releases a la carte, as well as a new t-shirt design featuring release Number One artwork through the Online Store.

The online store is offering two different shipment options:

CONVENTIONAL WEAPONS 7" Vinyl Box Set Shipped Individually

- All Five (5) 7" vinyl delivered to you on their respective street dates

$49.99 + $19 shipping (to the US)

CONVENTIONAL WEAPONS 7" Vinyl Box Set Shipped In One Shipment

- All Five (5) 7" vinyl delivered to you on the street date of the last album (February 5th, 2013)

$49.98 + $9 shipping (to the US)

Each box set will feature:

-Custom Slip Box to hold all Five (5) 7" vinyl delivered

-Exclusive Conventional Weapons Poster

-All Ten (10) songs digitally delivered on their respective street dates

http://store.mychemi...eapons/featured

The band had punk influences in their early work even if it also had a lot of pop sensibilities and gothic themes which attracted a more youthful group. Their first album had predominantly post-hardcore elements and lacked the least trace of pop of all their albums which is why it may of not as been as popular with younger fans. Three Cheers was their Gothic styled pop-punk album that really started to take off. The fact they wrote conceptual albums helped them stand out from just being a catchy band with a darker theme. By The Black Parade success rang in faster than ever and showcased a more rock inspired album by the band. It started to more away from the pop punk or even post hardcore elements of previous successes. The album was very much a very theatrical concept album that shared similarities with Quadrophenia by the who. I also felt some of the songs seemed to be 'inspired' by Smashing Pumpkins to a degree (not emphasis on inspired). During the album cycle fame had started to take a toll on the band as it was more than they expected and honestly had planned to just do this a few years. These new songs were the first things written in the darker time when the band almost broke up and had no concept. They were straightforward punk rock songs that mostly were inspired by events and emotions tied to those days. Danger Days and its more lighthearted twist was a result of coming out of that slump and continuing their career. That album show cased very little elements of their older work and was a rock album that from what I can tell had a lot of prog rock, classic rock, and americana influences alongside pop.

Therefore it is pretty fair to say that at the darkest time in this band's career when they were not writing conceptually that the songs would have an edgier punk rock sound without any real direction which was not like anything the band had released. These songs were really never meant to be released as it was a scrapped album and ended up being jams the band had done but the fact they want to release them will be interesting as they document the sonic shift during a time when the band was almost about to throw in the towel.

MCR are not even my favorite band but I appreciate they choose to change things up pretty drastically on each album and actually appear rather down to earth and hard working instead of stuck up rock stars. They keep things theatrical on almost all their works but I would guess that would have a bit to do with the band's interest in novels and comic books I saw in an article once. It is easy to write this band off as a emo scene band that were all about looks but the quality of their music proves the looks and themes are just a part of how they want to create the atmosphere for the album and the era it is released in. The actual guitar work and vocals of the band are actually very well done. I personally never cared much for the whole Gothic thing but looked past that to hear high quality music.

Just a .02 and a good look at where these songs fit in the band's history

• 4 months later...