The Hobbit

Enjoyed the LOTR trilogy but never read any of the books. Saw it in standard 24 fps in 2D. Fell asleep midway because I was tired but really enjoyed what I did see of the movie. Read that the movie was slow to take off and had dragged out scenes and dialogue but didn't really notice these. Might be something wrong with me but all the CG looked sped up for some reason (most noticeable during fight scenes and the wizard chase scene) but none of my friends noticed this? Maybe I'm crazy?

Anyways, definitely going to watch this again (hopefully, fully awake).

when thorin goes all extra badass and jumps off the burning tree to face the white orc was probably my favorite part. I had chills.

and I knew I heard a wilhelm scream!

when thorin goes all extra badass and jumps off the burning tree to face the white orc was probably my favorite part. I had chills.

and I knew I heard a wilhelm scream!

I love hearing the wilhelm scream in movies. I always get excited and look around at the people I'm with to see if I'm the only nerd that caught it.  usually am.

This thread enlightened me to the meaning of a "Wilhelm Scream".

I thought it was just the name of a band I will never support after they shouted "Go Shaq" from the stage because everyone in the bar wanted to watch the Pistons in the playoffs on TV instead of them. I think they were opening for the Lawrence Arms, maybe '05 or '06.

This thread enlightened me to the meaning of a "Wilhelm Scream".

I thought it was just the name of a band I will never support after they shouted "Go Shaq" from the stage because everyone in the bar wanted to watch the Pistons in the playoffs on TV instead of them. I think they were opening for the Lawrence Arms, maybe '05 or '06.

dude check it out, and from now on you will notice it in like 1 in 5 movies.  you can't un-hear it.

Oh man I first heard that wilhelm scream thing in an old obscure video game when I was a kid, then recognized it years later in a South Park episode. I thought the creators did it as an homage to the game for the longest time haha. I was kind of bummed to find out it was just some stock sample used everywhere.

it's not just a stock sample.  each time it is used it is used intentionally.  and it is an homage, only not to a video game.

it's not just a stock sample.  each time it is used it is used intentionally.  and it is an homage, only not to a video game.

Thanks for posting.

This. I would still recommend it to any LOTR fan. I felt there were a good mix of dialogue and action scenes, though the character development could have been so much better.

I agree, the Hobbit soundtrack doesnt flow from track to track as well as LOTR does.  but maybe with the next two movies that'll get better.  I just feel like Shore was "rushed" to compose the score, plus there are a lot of themes shared/borrowed from LOTR (as is to be expected) that sort of "lessen" the uniqueness of the score/soundtrack, for me.

• 5 months later...