Audio Technica AT-LP60 question

Okay, so I just got the Audio Technica AT-LP60 in the mail today. And it sounds great! but after spinning a few 7" and 12" records. When I try to play them, they sound slower, both 45RPM and 33RPM. When i press speed button and change it back to the original speed, it goes back to normal. But after another 10 seconds, it goes back to sounding slower. Any thoughts? Thanks! 

Hmmm... I've had this problem when I wasn't playing a record at its native speed (45 RPM disc at 33 RPM). I think this has also happened to me when the record was either warped or didn't quite fit into the spindle (the hole of the disc was too small).

Doesn't seem like your problem is related to the actual discs though. Is there a way you can replace it and try out your albums on a replacement? See if your motor is bad? If you have a bad belt as others have suggested, I would recommend getting this upgrade kit from LP gear instead of simply replacing your existing belt. Comes with a better stylus as well. I have the same turntable + upgrade and it was well worth it.

http://www.lpgear.com/product/UPATPL60.html

Don't buy that upgrade kit. Upgrade the whole table.

are there any reviews for that upgrade kit? i'd consider spending $40 to get a little more life out of my AT-LP60...

I'm not an audiophile but it sounds noticeably better than the stock parts (sorry I can't be more specific, I compared them briefly then stuck with the upgrade). However, I got that kit included with the turntable from LP gear (iirc $100 for turntable + kit). I guess you should follow ajxd's advice because $40 is a little steep for that kit alone. I guess it would be more worthwhile long term to upgrade the turntable.

Here's why I said not to get the upgrade kit. It's a $100 turntable. Why not save up and get something like the Pro-Ject Essential? $300, probably less if you hunt some deals. You know it will be way better than the AT, and have a better cartridge. The AT upgrade kit upgrades to the stylus to one from a $15 cartridge...

• 1 month later...

Don't buy that upgrade kit. Upgrade the whole table.

I know it sucks to hear that your brand-new table is a piece of crap, but this is good advice.

I owned a pl-60, I thought it looked good and had a great price. The main problem with it, besides it's sound quality, is that is has no tracking weight or anti-skating weight and you will have terrible problems with skipping.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...