Slingbox - Anybody use one?

kylet

Make your own purchases, but why wouldn't you just buy a solo used on ebay for $50? It seems like you are paying 5 times the price for the couple times a year you and your bro would both be away and want to watch a Sabres game (from what you have said to this point).

I'd assume it is like any used electronics. It will work, but if it does break later, I'm not sure how the warranty works. It will be closer to being out of warranty. I'd go used probably.

Yan, one thing I'm still a little unclear on, you can change the channel on the cable box through slingbox app, right? Assuming you don't have to just watch whatever channel it is on.

The solo doesn't have wifi built in, the 500 is the only model that does. So you would have to buy an additional power line kit for the solo or plug it directly to the router. Also, solo only supports component (analog, 1080i), and the newer 500 has HDMI (digital, 1080p). There's another difference too but I can't think of it. I think the 500 is worth it for the WiFi alone though.

And yes you have full control of the cable box with the sling apps, you have the full remote control on screen and can even watch DVR/recorded content.

And the solo is for broadcasting a single device (hence the name) while the 500 is for broadcasting multiple.

Wifi not an issue. I have a ton of ethernet cables and it's not hard to run a line around a house if needed.

Not having HDMI kinda sucks. It's so convenient to just have everything HDMI. I don't know if it $200 sucks, though. My initial reaction is no.

Thanks yan.

I got the box set up back home. Works fine on my computer, but no go on the TV through the wii u. Says not compatible when I try to use it. So I need to buy something to use this on my TV. I'm leaning towards google TV. Anybody have one? Pretty easy to use?

Right now the slingbox is set up via wifi at my brothers house. When you watch it on your computer, in the corner of the video is analyzes the quality. My Bitrate ranges from 1410-1800 Kbps. Those numbers don't mean a lot to me, but the quality of the video isn't great. Can anybody explain how to increase it to HD quality. Maybe directly connecting the slingbox to the router than wirelessly?

Step 1 might be a speed test on your brothers internet. Yan posted a link.

My speed test I just did said upload was 1.4 mb / s (or 1400 kb / s). I have Uverse DSL. So it kinda sounds to me like maybe you are maxing out his upload capability if you are getting those bitrates and that is just what it is gonna look like. It will be even worse if the slingbox has to compete for bandwidth as someone else uses the internet. Your only option would probably be to upgrade him to a higher internet package (assuming that is the problem).

Relevant:

http://entertainment.howstuffworks.com/fast-internet-connection-for-streaming-hd-movies1.htm

Looks like you are probably well short of the upload bandwidth to steam HD video. I didn't realize until I read that that ISP report megabits per second, not megabytes. Kinda sneaky.

Yeah I ran speedtest.net. My download speed is about 25.1 mbps. The guy on tech support said you more >2 on my end, and >3 on upload from his end in order for high def. He also said eithernet cable vs wifi is about the same qualtiy (which I find hard to believe).

So i need to decide which box to buy to watch this on my TV. A few of the supported ones are:
Boxee TV ($80ish used)
Sony Internet Player w/ Good TV ($125ish used)
Netgear NeoTV Max ($70ish used)

I don't know anything about any of those products. Thinking of going to best buy and trying to pick someones brain for a little help.

First, let's address the speed issue at your brother's house. I would say that switching to an Ethernet connection from the Sling to the router will most likely give you better quality as there is greater bandwith capacity.

Did you ever run a speedtest at your brother's?  Do you know what kind / model router they are using?  When anything is on WiFi you are limited by whatever wireless router you have (if you know the model you can find out the speed capability, difference between a $30 and $130 router), as well as the wireless card in the sling, which may even be a regular "g" and not an "n" connection which is faster.  So I would always plug in or your bro could invest in a powerline kit, if the sling and router aren't in the same room. 

Keep in mind when you are watching on your device remotely, the speed of your computer or media player may be limiting you as well.

*I will say from my own personal experience with Sling, the quality has never been anything to write home about.  I've seen multiple demos on Smartphones, Tablets, and HDTVs, and it's never going to be crystal clear streaming video like you would get with a provider like Netflix or Hulu.  Just my 2 cents. 

Moving on to media players:

Stay away from the Netgear NeoTV.  Piece o' crap.

I've heard really awesome things about the Boxee Box, and is probably the best bang for your buck.  The Google TV is really good too with a similar user interface as the PS3.  I don't think you could really go wrong with either one. 

Is there a sling app for ps3?  If so I'd go with one of those, it's probably not too far off the price of the Google TV for a used one and now you got yourself a sick blu ray player and gaming console!

Good luck!

This is my Saturday night tech post for VC.  Goodnight, everyone

• 5 weeks later...

So I finally got everything hooked up.

Brothers Set up:
- Slingbox 500 hooked into a cable box
- Wireless to his super shitty outdated router
- Low speed cable internet

My set up:
- NeoTV Max
- Directly hooked up to my router via eithernet
- Cheapest level of cable internet

This is my picture quailty (sorry for the shitty video)

I bought the Slingbox used for $260 shipped, and the NeoTV was like $70 at Target. So I spent like $330. I'm super happy with it. The qualtiy is pretty good. Not HD, but I've sure it would be if I directly connected on my brothers end and we both upgraded our internet. The quailty is much better than any site I've ever streamed through. And it's 100% reliable. Plus I have full digital cable. So I can watch shows live that I normally download a couple days later. Which isn't a huge deal, but it's nice. This cost me $10 a month for my family to have an additional cable box (which isn't even required if you don't mind watching the same things). I strongly recommend a sling box to anyone considering.

I was meaning to bump this and ask how it went. Baseball season is coming up and I didn't renew my subscription to mlb.tv.

Have an Ipad. Plan is to buy a solo slingbox, the ipad app, and an HDMI connection for ipad-to-tv.

FYI, your download speed is almost certainly not a limiting factor in video quality. It's your bro's upload. So you'd only have to upgrade one.

• 4 weeks later...

Question for some of you guys. Not slingbox related but their seemed to be an abundance of tech knowledge, so I'm asking it here. 

I'm looking to get a new router. I run wired from the router to the Xbox and the wireless for everything else throughout the house. My previous router there was a big drop in speed between wired and wireless, I know to expect some drop but it seemed excessive. I don't need a ton out of it, save the occasionally fantasy drafts where I have a houseful.

I'll do my research, but, any suggestions, to people have on they like at a reasonable price point. 

I don't think there is really too much to it. Find out what your speeds are (either through a speedtest or from your plan info) and get a router than is powerful enough that it won't be the limiting factor. I don't know the difference between 802.11 b/g/ whatever but I'm assuming if you buy a reasonably new one it will conform to the latest standard.

I know that's not an expert opinion and Yan will probably give better info but that is what I would look at -- max speed and avg review on Amazon, then pick the lowest priced one that met my standards.

figured I might ask this here...

I need a way to stream hulu plus and Netflix in my bedroom (already an xbox 360 in the living room). I can always HDMI in/out my laptop, but it's a hassle. so...

- i'm generally an android guy, otherwise i'd just go Apple TV

- i'd love Google TV but seems Hulu Plus still isn't available... wtf

- anyone use one?

- does it have an "airplay" type features for Android like Apple TV does for iOS?

- anyone know anything about roku or any other devices?

- keep in mind (maybe) that I work at Best Buy so I can get some of these at a discount

- I know you're thinking I should just ask my coworkers, but I don't work for another couple days and i'm still pretty new

figured I might ask this here...

I need a way to stream hulu plus and Netflix in my bedroom (already an xbox 360 in the living room). I can always HDMI in/out my laptop, but it's a hassle. so...

- i'm generally an android guy, otherwise i'd just go Apple TV

- i'd love Google TV but seems Hulu Plus still isn't available... wtf

- anyone use one?

- does it have an "airplay" type features for Android like Apple TV does for iOS?

- anyone know anything about roku or any other devices?

- keep in mind (maybe) that I work at Best Buy so I can get some of these at a discount

- I know you're thinking I should just ask my coworkers, but I don't work for another couple days and i'm still pretty new

-Apple TV is great regardless of what phone you have.

-Roku is a good alternative to Google TV that offers hulu plus.  If you were considering a Google TV I always just recommend to spend the extra money and get a PS3, and now you got a sick blu ray and game console that does hulu.  Or get a network blu-ray player (cheaper than google tv) that also offers hulu plus.

-Go talk to someone in the home theater department before you buy it.

-Do some more elearnings when you get back to work plz  ;)