Upgrading/changing Mats

I figured this topic would have been discussed ad nauseum, but I didn't find any old threads.  So, I figured I'd go ahead and ask.  What type of mats (material) do you guys like?  I've got a Pro-Ject RPM 1.3 and am still just using the felt mat that came with it.  But it seems to be incredibly static-y, which I hate.  As I'm sure you've all experienced, the way it sticks to the record when you try to remove it (the record) is really annoying.  Can't be helping things with all the static.  

I've seen lots of alternatives, from cork to leather to acrylic, and wanted to get your thoughts.  Not looking to spend tons, just want something simple that will hopefully cut down on the static.

Thanks in advance for your input!

I have a Herbie's mat and I like it a lot.  However, I'm currently using a cork mat and I like that a lot too.  Both were an upgrade over felt ... but don't expect a huge change in sound.  A good mat paired with a weight or clamp will probably tighten things up a bit, reduce unwanted resonance and maybe even improve transient response.  Still, it's not going to be a night-and-day type deal.  At least not in my experience.

• 4 weeks later...

The choice of mats is really a very personal one...they ALL change the sound of the vinyl rig so read up on it as much as you can before purchasing.  I just read the specs on your table and the platter is made of MDF?  (If that is correct, I personally think you would do well with a more dissimilar material based platter stack setup).  Acrylic would work well, but I would probably go with a harder substance like aluminum or carbon fiber, depending on the rest of your system and analog chain of course.  For the most part, soft materials have a softer sound and hard materials push up things like detail retrieval etc. IME.

I use a Combak Harmonix TU-8000Exi matte on my VPI aluminum platter.  I used to use and still own the acrylic platter.

http://www.combak.net/analog_tuning_devices/Clamp_and_Matte.html 

The matte above cuts down the static about 70% by itself.  The Milty Zero Stat alone cuts out static completely 100%.

The choice of mats is really a very personal one...they ALL change the sound of the vinyl rig so read up on it as much as you can before purchasing.  I just read the specs on your table and the platter of made of MDF?  (If that is correct, I personally think you would do well with a more dissimilar material based platter).  Acrylic would work well, but I would probably go with a harder substance like aluminum or carbon fiber, depending on the rest of your system and analog chain of course.  For the most part, soft materials have a softer sound and hard materials push up things like detail retrieval etc. IME.

I use a Combak Harmonix TU-8000Exi matte on my VPI aluminum platter.  I used to use and still own the acrylic platter.

http://www.combak.net/analog_tuning_devices/Clamp_and_Matte.html 

The matte above cuts down the static about 70% by itself.  The Milty Zero Stat alone cuts out static completely 100%.

Milty Zero Stat is worth the $100? Anyone else use it? 

Milty Zero Stat is worth the $100? Anyone else use it? 

Functionally, definitely worth $100.  Materials and build quality is probably $10 and I'm being really generous! 

Really cheap,plastic piece of crap actually.  Hate keeping it in sight too...frikkin ugly blue!