Storing Records "Straight Down"

I'm wondering if there are any disadvantages to this, if anyone's tried it.

Essentially, my expedit is full at the moment, and I'm resorting to storing excess records in Itso cubes.  (They work fantastically, for what it's worth.)  The cubes are on the ground, and I'm wondering if there's anything that would suggest it's a bad idea to place records "down" in them.  That is to say, having the spine of every jacket facing upward for obvious convenience and organization.  Right now they're all stored traditionally, and the only way to locate a specific album is to thumb through the front and back records, not unlike how most of us scavenge for records in shops.

All of my records are in polysleeves, so "extracting" an album wouldn't have the vinyl slipping out of the jacket.  My only concern is whether or not it'd be alright for the records to essentially be touching the bottom of the cube.  Especially when I go to lift the cube, since its shape probably shifts and bows a bit.  I figure the "traditional" storage of albums allow the vinyl to rest on the bottom cardboard of the jacket for extra protection.

Any thoughts on this?  Any suggestions?  Anyone even know what I'm trying to do and inquire about?

Not a terrible idea, but the only catch is that my cubes will probably be remaining on the ground at all times. If I'm following your suggestion correctly, I'd have to kneel pretty low to browse / access them, right? Not to mention all the dirt and hair that would inevitably get kicked inside over time. I've had good luck keeping them upright with a mailer or other flat surface atop the cubes' openings.