THE FUTURE OF THE GOP

isn't that what the tea party is?  sadly, I'm not even sure if I'm joking about that

I don't know how far they would have to separate themselves from a rank and file republican to be considered a different party. At this point, I'd call them a "sect".

Tea Party has one last chance to really gain control and that is the national debt crisis. If Obama can get out of that without causing another recession (and really I don't mean "get out of debt", just find a plan that makes everyone happy and at least gets us to the point where the debt isn't growing). If he causes another US credit rating downgrade which sets off a chain reaction I think we will (and really "need") a Republican in office to get the finances straight. I don't really care for their social policies but I'll take them to avoid a bankrupt nation.

I don't know how far they would have to separate themselves from a rank and file republican to be considered a different party. At this point, I'd call them a "sect".

Tea Party has one last chance to really gain control and that is the national debt crisis. If Obama can get out of that without causing another recession (and really I don't mean "get out of debt", just find a plan that makes everyone happy and at least gets us to the point where the debt isn't growing). If he causes another US credit rating downgrade which sets off a chain reaction I think we will (and really "need") a Republican in office to get the finances straight. I don't really care for their social policies but I'll take them to avoid a bankrupt nation.

Someone is a little confused....

Someone is a little confused....

Well I may not have written that perfectly but I really worry about a lack of government action on spending leading to a credit downgrade, which is step 1 to another financial collapse.

We have never had our credit downgraded in the history of our country having a credit rating and there are real signs that it might happen for the second time in a couple years. We already can't stay balanced with our finances and a credit downgrade leads to higher borrowing costs. We can't function without borrowing, market chaos, bad things ensue.

Clear?

Well I may not have written that perfectly but I really worry about a lack of government action on spending leading to a credit downgrade, which is step 1 to another financial collapse.

We have never had our credit downgraded in the history of our country having a credit rating and there are real signs that it might happen for the second time in a couple years. We already can't stay balanced with our finances and a credit downgrade leads to higher borrowing costs. We can't function without borrowing, market chaos, bad things ensue.

Clear?

Yeah, I hear you on this. I thought you were just pouring out some Fox News-esque "Obama is to blame for everything" comment when really that isn't the case. The reason our credit was downgraded is because Congress couldn't agree to raise the debt ceiling and pay our bills - and that's why we could get downgraded again. So, it's fair to say Obama has a hand in the spending that Congress doesn't want to pay for - but he's not the reason for the downgrade.

I agree with you on Obama not being the whole problem. There was an article on Yahoo finance today about how even though he is talking about expanding the economy and new spending, he is really embracing a government that spends less:

http://finance.yahoo.com/news/president-hungry-action-bite-size-050100018.html;_ylt=AoV1jv3IKYnYVld5L0JKv_2iuYdG;_ylu=X3oDMTNycmJyb3AyBG1pdANGUCBUb3AgU3RvcnkgTGVmdARwa2cDNTNlYzk3MTgtZmZlYy0zMzBkLWI5YmUtNGU1YWFmYTgxMTI5BHBvcwMxBHNlYwN0b3Bfc3RvcnkEdmVyAzI0NWM1ODJkLTc2MDItMTFlMi05ZjczLTVhNzIzM2RjZjllYQ--;_ylg=X3oDMTFpNzk0NjhtBGludGwDdXMEbGFuZwNlbi11cwRwc3RhaWQDBHBzdGNhdANob21lBHB0A3NlY3Rpb25z;_ylv=3

But there is one thing you said that I believe to be wrong. The reason our credit was downgraded is because we raised the debt ceiling (I want to say it was in 2011. Could easily look it up). Credit raters view that as an inability in Washington to make changes that can put us back on the path to a balanced budget.

It's no different than personal finance. Our country is the equivalent of a person who has racked up tens of thousands in credit card and can only make the minimum payment but never get out of debt. We pay about $400 billion in taxes to nothing but interest on debt. Everytime we raise the debt ceiling we come closer to another downgrade, possibly default.

I agree with you on Obama not being the whole problem. There was an article on Yahoo finance today about how even though he is talking about expanding the economy and new spending, he is really embracing a government that spends less:

http://finance.yahoo.com/news/president-hungry-action-bite-size-050100018.html;_ylt=AoV1jv3IKYnYVld5L0JKv_2iuYdG;_ylu=X3oDMTNycmJyb3AyBG1pdANGUCBUb3AgU3RvcnkgTGVmdARwa2cDNTNlYzk3MTgtZmZlYy0zMzBkLWI5YmUtNGU1YWFmYTgxMTI5BHBvcwMxBHNlYwN0b3Bfc3RvcnkEdmVyAzI0NWM1ODJkLTc2MDItMTFlMi05ZjczLTVhNzIzM2RjZjllYQ--;_ylg=X3oDMTFpNzk0NjhtBGludGwDdXMEbGFuZwNlbi11cwRwc3RhaWQDBHBzdGNhdANob21lBHB0A3NlY3Rpb25z;_ylv=3

But there is one thing you said that I believe to be wrong. The reason our credit was downgraded is because we raised the debt ceiling (I want to say it was in 2011. Could easily look it up). Credit raters view that as an inability in Washington to make changes that can put us back on the path to a balanced budget.

It's no different than personal finance. Our country is the equivalent of a person who has racked up tens of thousands in credit card and can only make the minimum payment but never get out of debt. We pay about $400 billion in taxes to nothing but interest on debt. Everytime we raise the debt ceiling we come closer to another downgrade, possibly default.

You are right about this, my debates are blurring together. It was that + the $2 trillion S&P error that caused the downgrade. This time, however, the main factor is the debate over the debt ceiling.

cant wait for the election when the president is elected with only 40% of the public vote

We've already kinda had this, since about 120 million people voted in the last election and our country is about 315 million. I'm guessing about 50-80 million aren't of voting age, are too sick, or too old to vote (totally pulling that number out of my head). So only about half of us capable of voting do, about half of us vote for each candidate, so only about 25% of us actually voted for Barack Obama.