OFFICIAL RSD13/Record Store Day Releases Thread (1st Post Updated)

They call you a day or 2 before RSD to tell you what parts of your order you will be receiving.

I would never advise strictly relying on your Strictly Discs order to completely fulfill your RSD list. Usually its an aid to help knock off about 70-80% of your order, so when you do head to a physical store, your list is paired down enough to where getting everything you want is a manageable size. I ordered from them last year, yet was still 2nd in line at my local spot waiting to get what they couldn't fulfill.

Note:  Stores did have to sign a new version of the pledge this year, so how stores handled things in the past could potentially change.  I know one thing they stopped was stores being able to open at Midnight to sell RSD products.

RSD founders are getting too big for their britches. Now they are dictating when stores can open?

Note: Stores did have to sign a new version of the pledge this year, so how stores handled things in the past could potentially change. I know one thing they stopped was stores being able to open at Midnight to sell RSD products.

If SD gets enough of my list, Id consider driving up to Madison to pick it up, depending on how I did locally.

that pledge is meaningless. it carries about as much weight as a sack of feathers.

Yeah you hear stories about items getting marked up $100 from MSRP, yet those same stores are able to sell RSD items year after year. Unfortunately they dont act on their threats and all record stores know this.

Think about it like this...

SD will order RSD stock based off how much demand they receive from online requests. Now while RSD dictates how much stock they end up receiving, if they get flooded with copies of say "Phish Lawn Boy" based on the 500 requests they receive from customers, how in gods world will they sell off all this extra inventory if they dont ship to requests? Easy answer, they will be shipping.

Think about it like this...

SD will order RSD stock based off how much demand they receive from online requests. Now while RSD dictates how much stock they end up receiving, if they get flooded with copies of say "Phish Lawn Boy" based on the 500 requests they receive from customers, how in gods world will they sell off all this extra inventory if they dont ship to requests? Easy answer, they will be shipping.

Have you been to Madison?  They wouldn't have any problem selling extra Phish, lol.

Have you been to Madison? They wouldn't have any problem selling extra Phish, lol.

Yes a few times. I like Madison. Id contemplate making a weekend trip out of it if it was required for me to go there to pickup my records. I was using Phish as an example, haha. Obviously Lawn Boy and the GD releases will be the first to fly off their shelves over there, haha.

Yes a few times. I like Madison. Id contemplate making a weekend trip out of it if it was required for me to go there to pickup my records. I was using Phish as an example, haha. Obviously Lawn Boy and the GD releases will be the first to fly off their shelves over there, haha.

I have to say that I do regret not picking up Junta last year.  I have a friend down in Rockford who orders through Strictly as well.  

I bought Junta for a friend last year (and will probably buy Lawn Boy for the same friend this year) and was embarrassed to have to walk around with a Phish album. To each I guess.

I wouldn't be embarrassed by having a copy of a record of musicians who have masters degrees in music. Whether you like the sound/scene or not, its undeniable that they've got a whole lot of skill and technique when it comes to their instruments. Probably moreso than 99% of the bands around today.

I bought Junta for a friend last year (and will probably buy Lawn Boy for the same friend this year) and was embarrassed to have to walk around with a Phish album. To each I guess.

id tell my friend he has to make other arrangements. My ex told me she liked phish. I made it clear that there'd be no more of that for the duration of our relationship.

pretty good actually. she got over them pretty fast. she didn't know what she was thinking. she was halfway to great musical taste.

Its too bad she wasnt more forthcoming with giving you a little education. You might have had a revelation and thanked her every day for the rest of your life. Oh well.

If anyone plays guitar, i recommend learning "You Enjoy Myself". Odds are it will frustrate you for hours. Then when you finally perfect it, imagine writing something like it. I have a pretty good feeling you will give a little nod of respect after that lesson

good musicians doesn't necessarily mean good music. i can respect any musician doing their thing for a living. doesn't mean i have to like their music. and i definitely do not like phish's music. not even a little bit.

good musicians doesn't necessarily mean good music. i can respect any musician doing their thing for a living. doesn't mean i have to like their music. and i definitely do not like phish's music. not even a little bit.

You dont have to like anything, but i think its unwise not to respect their talent. I hate Lebron james but dude is the best around when it comes to the NBA. Also, i do think its a good learning curve to those who are looking to advance their abilities as a musician to try and work out some of their instrumental compositions. Test your limits, see what you can become capable of performing and those techniques will help you in anything else you decide to apply it to.

Kind of like saying Miles Davis is embarrassing. Nobody would say that but then again not everyone likes jazz.

Not allowing stores to open at midnight is lame. We have four record stores around and having one open at midnight helped the other three stagger their opening time so it was feasible to hit each at opening.

On the bright side, I'm surprised the Deftones live album isn't $20 or something. It's now officially on my radar. I'm still wondering why the Whirr 7" costs so much. Isn't Run for Cover putting it out?