Buying A Phono Preamp Necessary?

I have a Yamaha rx v393 with a pretty basic phono preamp built in. So would upgrading to a pro ject phono preamp and using my reciever as a power amp be a substantial upgrade do you think? I have a pair of older Boston speaker and a pro ject debut carbon with a 2m red.

Pre amp as a power source is where I stopped reading due to it being an oxymoron.

In an audio system, the second amplifier is typically a power amplifier (power amp). The preamplifier provides voltage gain (e.g. from 10 millivolts to 1 volt) but no significant current gain. The power amplifier provides the higher current necessary to drive loudspeakers.

In an audio system, the second amplifier is typically a power amplifier (power amp). The preamplifier provides voltage gain (e.g. from 10 millivolts to 1 volt) but no significant current gain. The power amplifier provides the higher current necessary to drive loudspeakers.

Here. To speak on your level of Wiki knowledge, here's the sentence before what you posted...

"In a home audio system, the term 'preamplifier' may sometimes be used to describe equipment which merely switches between different line level sources and applies a volume control, so that no actual amplification may be involved."

So you understand, there is more than phono preamps. The higher grade audio you purchase, the more the components are separated. So please, keep your Wiki to yourself

A phono preamp has two main functions; converting the voltage from the turntable to a usable level for the receiver (which you said) and equalizing the sound. But just because it increases the voltage output, it doesn't mean it is a "power source". Preamps provide NO power to the speakers in a system.

And congrats on learning about Wikipedia.

He already has a pre amp.

He was asking about upgrading. I told him to use the money on other stuff first. The odds that that upgrade is going to give him much better performance is probably negilent on the system he has.

Its providing him with the voltage gain he needs. Buying a lower model stand alone will serve the same fuction. Sorry the word power through you off. Thought you were smarter than you appear

But than again I am not curing cancer like someone else in this thread and tooting their own horn on a constant basis

He already has a pre amp.

He was asking about upgrading. I told him to use the money on other stuff first. The odds that that upgrade is going to give him much better performance is probably negilent on the system he has.

Its providing him with the voltage gain he needs. Buying a lower model stand alone will serve the same fuction. Sorry the word power through you off. Thought you were smarter than you appear

But than again I am not curing cancer like someone else in this thread and tooting their own horn on a constant basis

Except he doesn't have a phono preamp. He has a phono input built-in to his receiver.

He definitely doesn't need a new cartridge first, because the 2M is pretty solid by itself.

It's hard to tell how good his speakers are, but they're probably not that great (no offense OP) but for $100 to $200 he's not going to be able to get anything substantially better.

To claim that a stand-alone phono stage is not going to provide a better experience than a built-in Yamaha version is either disingenuous or ignorant. Sure they both may provide the same amount of voltage gain, but phono stages are known to have unique sound signatures. It would be akin to saying this Onkyo and this McIntosh sound the same because they're both rated at 75 watts per channel. 

thirdfromthesun- #1. Nice burn, great minds. #2. Tell me about that Lounge. What drew you to it?

I ended up getting the Lounge for a couple of reasons.

First I saw some really good user reviews on it that stated it blew away phono preamps in a similar price range.

I also loved the way it looked, I'm a big fan of the solid wood enclosure and the slight blue glow. I was leaning towards getting a Cambridge Azur, but was just tired of how all my equipment was black plastic and metal.

And the main reason I got it was because it was hand-made in America. I figured I'd rather give the guy making it my money than some corporation that are making these things over in China. Plus it came with a 1-year warranty so I was sure if something ever happened it would easily be fixed.

I ended up loving it. I still have to compare it with the Pro-Jects at my local store. But as I said, compared to the Yamaha's input it blew it away.

I myself has been more and more intrigued by American audio products. Hence the move to only Blue Jeans Cables (Seattle, WA), and now a Parasound preamp and power amp (San Francisco, CA) set up. Looking toward PS Audio power plant or DAC, VPI turntable with Soundsmith cartridge, and some Ascend Acoustics speakers. 'Merica.