New Budget Pro-ject Table

Not a stupid question at all.

Technically not every cartridge works well (or reaches it's potential) with every tonearm. Also since no cart is perfect, some work better for some types of music than others. Then there's mono carts for getting the most out of mono records. So for someone with a vast collection, who also want's to get the best out of every recording, owning multiple cart/tonearm combinations is the only (or just the most rational) way to achieve the wanted result.

Thankfully some tables offer mounting multiple tonearms, so that person doesn't have to own multiple tables as well. Though most of these kinds of people do :)

Not a stupid question at all.

Technically not every cartridge works well (or reaches it's potential) with every tonearm. Also since no cart is perfect, some work better for some types of music than others. Then there's mono carts for getting the most out of mono records. So for someone with a vast collection, who also want's to get the best out of every recording, owning multiple cart/tonearm combinations is the only (or just the most rational) way to achieve the wanted result.

Thankfully some tables offer mounting multiple tonearms, so that person doesn't have to own multiple tables as well. Though most of these kinds of people do :)

Ah ok, I understand the mono issue solved with an additional tonearm...thanks for the explanation! :)

Not really sure, but I think I've even seen turntables with three tonearms, what would be a usage field for these players/the third tonearm?

Again, just additional cart/arm combinations. For example, if there's a cart that works very good with classical, but not that great with rock music, you want to be able to use both. But the first one needs a low mass tonearm, the second one needs a high mass tonearm (just an example). Add a mono cart and you have three combinations you want to be able to use without having to go through the tiresome and complex process of removing and setting up the cart or tonearm, so it's best to have all three set up and ready to go.

My table has the option of mounting three arms on it, but I doubt I'll ever use the option for anything other than comparison purposes. I'm honestly not crazy enough about vinyl to really care that much :)