New Budget Pro-ject Table

I don't love fixed counterweight.  I know they're going for ease-of-use and aiming this turntable toward the average novice consumer, but is an adjustable counterweight really that complicated?  

This basically locks you into the Ortofon cartridge forever.

Otherwise, I dig that Pro-Ject has stepped up and is trying to offer quality budget table for newbies.  $199 still seems high if you're trying to compete with Crosleys though.

I can't believe people are interested in this. It looks downright terrible.

Kannibal, no one who has commented on this thread is actually interested in this as something to buy for themselves, just like you aren't. What we are all interested in is a company who makes serious turntables bringing their knowledge and supply chain/manufacturing capabilities to bear on the problem of producing a decent budget turntable. Not decent for people like you or me who are serious enough to warrant at least a Carbon or RP3, but decent for people who are starting from scratch and can afford nothing more than $200 for this component. It's interesting because it's cheap enough that we might be able to sway beginners away from the Crossley's and ATLP60's that plague us all. How good it works and sounds is yet to be seen, but if it is able to not ruin records and sound decent then this is a victory for everyone. Whenever people show up and start "what table for $200" threads it's difficult to recommend anything new in that price range. If this is passable we now have a quick solution.

Kannibal, no one who has commented on this thread is actually interested in this as something to buy for themselves, just like you aren't. What we are all interested in is a company who makes serious turntables bringing their knowledge and supply chain/manufacturing capabilities to bear on the problem of producing a decent budget turntable. Not decent for people like you or me who are serious enough to warrant at least a Carbon or RP3, but decent for people who are starting from scratch and can afford nothing more than $200 for this component. It's interesting because it's cheap enough that we might be able to sway beginners away from the Crossley's and ATLP60's that plague us all. How good it works and sounds is yet to be seen, but if it is able to not ruin records and sound decent then this is a victory for everyone. Whenever people show up and start "what table for $200" threads it's difficult to recommend anything new in that price range. If this is passable we now have a quick solution.

Yeah, I know, I read through the thread. I'm not sold. I'd say something positive to end my thought, like, to each his own, but some of us know what happened last time I wished someone well.

• 2 weeks later...

I agree that this may not be the turntable for people here but what I read was that Project wants to try to sell this at Best Buy and Target stores. I've read where its called the "Crosley Killer" to try to get folks away from the ceramic cartridges that can really mess up records. I support a return of decent "mid range" turntables, I think it will be the way vinyl will continue to grow. I'm wondering how Project is going to try to grt people who might buy a turntable at Target to pass up the $75.00 model for there $199 model.

The U-Turn Orbit appears to be more flexible than this and is $50 cheaper.

. I just hope the U turn comes through. Unless I've missed something they have not posted anything online since March. They said the turntables that people bought during their campaign were cheaper than what they would finally be when there came out retail. I've been waiting for some news, any news.

Avid+INGENIUM.jpg

Excuse my ignorance, but WTF is that?? (seriously!)

On topic: I think the idea of offering a low-budget TT is a great for a well-respected company such as Pro-Ject. I'm using a Pro-Ject myself and I love it! Regarding the fact that vinyl is enjoying a huge revival, this is one of the things company have to do in order to attract new customers (who don't want to spend huge amounts on a "starter-kit"; which is absolutely rational!).

I agree that this may not be the turntable for people here but what I read was that Project wants to try to sell this at Best Buy and Target stores. I've read where its called the "Crosley Killer" to try to get folks away from the ceramic cartridges that can really mess up records. I support a return of decent "mid range" turntables, I think it will be the way vinyl will continue to grow. I'm wondering how Project is going to try to grt people who might buy a turntable at Target to pass up the $75.00 model for there $199 model.

I think you and I have very different ideas of what a "mid range" turntable is.