beginner looking for set-up recommendations

i've only just recently started collecting vinyl over the past 2 years or so. i have about 70 records so far.
i got bit by the beginner's bug and got suckered into an awful crosley but have since upgraded to the very popular audio-technica at-lp120 which i heard was a decent entry level turntable.
unfortunately, i've just been using the built-in pre-amp and running it through some shitty old computer speakers; and since i got a new job and have the money now i'm looking into getting a decent set-up suited for my at-lp120.
but i have no fucking idea where to start hahahah, so that's where you come in!
i need recommendations on pretty much everything, thanks!

You can find some recommendations and basic setup info here: http://boards.vinylcollective.com/topic/88504-beginner%E2%80%99s-guide-to-hi%E2%80%93fi/

It doesn't cover amplification and speakers yet though (don't have as much free time as I'd like currently).

If you are looking to replace the entire set up, first you have to set a budget. I understand it might be hard to throw out a number if you have no idea where to begin, so I(ll try to give you some pointers.

If you want something on par with your table and go the cheapest route possible, here's my favorite budget option:

- A phono pre-amp (at around $100).

- Active bookshelf speakers (speakers that have their own amplification - around $300)

This would basically be it, pretty plug and play. So you're looking at roughly $400 and you're set. Of course you can spend less, but the compromises would increase greatly.

With a slightly higher budget, you can look for:

- A phono pre-amp (around $100)

- An integrated amplifier (around $350)

- Passive bookshelf speakers (around $350)

This is double the first budget (at around $800), but would be the optimum set up, actually even good enough for future upgrades in the analog end - maybe replacing the cartridge on the turntable.

Of course you can also always look for used equipment, where you'd get the sound quality in the range of the second set up option, but at a price point of the first one. But to give you any more specific information, first you need to decide how much you're willing to spend.

You can find some recommendations and basic setup info here: http://boards.vinylcollective.com/topic/88504-beginner%E2%80%99s-guide-to-hi%E2%80%93fi/

It doesn't cover amplification and speakers yet though (don't have as much free time as I'd like currently).

If you are looking to replace the entire set up, first you have to set a budget. I understand it might be hard to throw out a number if you have no idea where to begin, so I(ll try to give you some pointers.

If you want something on par with your table and go the cheapest route possible, here's my favorite budget option:

- A phono pre-amp (at around $100).

- Active bookshelf speakers (speakers that have their own amplification - around $300)

This would basically be it, pretty plug and play. So you're looking at roughly $400 and you're set. Of course you can spend less, but the compromises would increase greatly.

With a slightly higher budget, you can look for:

- A phono pre-amp (around $100)

- An integrated amplifier (around $350)

- Passive bookshelf speakers (around $350)

This is double the first budget (at around $800), but would be the optimum set up, actually even good enough for future upgrades in the analog end - maybe replacing the cartridge on the turntable.

Of course you can also always look for used equipment, where you'd get the sound quality in the range of the second set up option, but at a price point of the first one. But to give you any more specific information, first you need to decide how much you're willing to spend.

I have nothing to add, I just wanted to comment on how refreshing it is to have a civil, informative response posted to a newbie's question. Thank you slinch and OP, welcome to VC.. It gets worse.