Cycling? Anyone here ride?

What is your fascination with CF? It is nice, but it isn't magical. Unless you are racing it is over-rated. Many would say that unless you are racing at an elite level it is over-rated. When you buy from a shop you aren't buying a warranty, you are getting a warranty with the purchase. The shop has no horse in the race other than to try and keep the customer as happy as possible. The manufacturer of the bike is the one backing up the warranty. 

I would not buy a carbon framed bike off of ebay that I have not got to ride, let alone do not know the seller. 

True story 1: I was cleaning my 2013 Specialized Epic Carbon Comp ($2000 frame) and saw something that I thought might be a crack. I took it into the bike shop and showed them what I was worried about and the frame was warrantied no charge to me with a 2013 Specialized Epic SWORKS frame ($4000) with all of my parts swapped over completely free of charge. Specialized and many other brands have lifetime warranties for manufacturing defects. They often also have crash policies that if you total out a frame you can purchase a new frame at a little over cost of the shop. Warranties and crash replacements only work for the original owner of the bike. 

True story 2: I bought a motobecane fantom CX bike ($500) as my first bike when I started riding seriously. It is one of the worst fitting bikes I have ever owned because I didn't know what the measurements meant and how they related to my body type. For a really long time I didn't know that the bike fit like crap until I rode some bikes that fit really well. That bike is still mostly stock (except for the wheels (wheels are important)) and it is my commuter and still a really good all around bike and gets the job done. However, I'm not going to take it on a long ride because of the fit. 

True story 3: I bought a motobecane fantom 29 MTB ($1000) as my first mountain bike and this is the second worst fitting bike I have ever owned. In order to get the proper reach I have to put a long stem on it in which puts my weight too far forward and gives it crappy handling. It wasn't until I bought a steel rigid SS off of ebay that fit me well that I realized that the moto fit like crap.

Pro Tip: You can haggle with a bike shop just like you would a car dealership. If you are talking about a $500 purchase then you are only talking about $50 or so and wasting everyone's time, but if you are talking about $1000+ then it is worth it. Some will work with you, some will not. It also depends on how bad you need the bike (just like buying a car). 

Also contact points are VERY important: handlebars, grips/tape, seat, pedals. These things will make or break a ride fairly quickly. If you go the ebay route then you will be buying stuff and playing with stuff to figure out what works for you. Where at the bike shop you can try multiples and figure out what works for you right there and maybe there will be a bike that is already set up perfect. If it is not, you can usually say, I like this bike but those bars and they will work with you, or at least you know what you want when you go to ebay. 

A lot of shops have lifetime adjustments to the bike. If something isn't working quite well, you just bring it in and they will fix it for you. If it is a warranty issue on a part, they will warranty for you. I personally like to do my own maintenance, but this is worth something to a lot of people. 

Spring time is coming around and something I strongly urge you to do is take advantage of bike manufacturers demo days. They let you take their bikes in various sizes and let you ride them around on actual roads/paths/trails. You can try out multiple models and sizes in a few hours. If you have found a good fitting bike from a demo and want to go used, then I see no problem with going Ebay. 

Maybe this will put it in perspective, it is like buying a used Project Debut Carbon because it has a carbon tone arm and everyone says it is good. However, without listening to it and comparing it to other turn tables you won't really know if it is in good mechanical order, or if it is really the turn table for you and your preference. You could be looking at a decent amount of money to get it in good mechanical condition, or the needle might be worn out. There is a lot more to a turntable than the fancy carbon tonearm. 

I understand that bike shops can be dicks. I have one 5 minutes from my house and I choose to go to one that is 30 minutes away. 

That is what I would test ride if I was looking for a road bike. 

Anyone care to recommend a good hybrid bike? My priority is riding in the city (road) but I would like to have the option of taking it off road on paths that aren't too crazy as well. Was thinking of adding beefy tires to my road bike, but figured I'd ask here anyways. 

My price range is $600 tops.

Anyone care to recommend a good hybrid bike? My priority is riding in the city (road) but I would like to have the option of taking it off road on paths that aren't too crazy as well. Was thinking of adding beefy tires to my road bike, but figured I'd ask here anyways. 

What do you mean by off road? Do you mean dirt and crushed gravel roads? If so then a hybrid would be great for that. If you mean mountain bike single track with rocks/roots then a hybrid would be a bad idea. 

If you want to maintain your bike yourself I would go this route. You can go even cheaper if don't want a suspension fork and disc brakes. After riding nice suspension and crap suspension I would rather ride a nice carbon rigid fork than crap suspension, but to each their own. 

If you don't I would go to your local shop and express what you are looking for. 

Oh that Fuji is really nice. Yeah I don't wanna do any crazy trails or anything, just dirt and crushed gravel roads if I want. I'd say 80% of my riding will be on a road or paved path, so yeah.

I actually did go to my local shop and was recommended this (because I mentioned I wanted a single speed). It's really nice but I don't know if the price is worth it.

http://allcitycycles.com/bikes/nature_boy

Kinda getting tired of dealing with eBay auctions. There's nothing coming up locally on craigslist. Thinking about pulling the trigger on this:

http://www.bikesdirect.com/products/motobecane/sprint-cf-pro-xv.htm

Realize we went back and forth for a while on shop vs. online, different materials, etc. Realize it might not be what others would do, but anyone strongly feel I shouldn't do it?

lebowski, you will be happy with that bike (if it fits properly). Be prepared to do your own maintenance. Often times bike tools are special and cost way too much for what they are compared to harbor freight tools. However, doing your own maintenance is cheaper in the long run than going to the shop. It also allows you to know how to fix stuff on the spot instead of being dependent on others to fix your stuff.

Something that is nice with BD bikes is that the components can be pretty nice as in the case with the one you suggested. If you find a different frame you want to try out (cooler brand, better fit, etc.) you can swap over everything and not have to upgrade parts.  

You will probably want to upgrade the wheels after a while if cycling is your thing. 

Oh that Fuji is really nice. Yeah I don't wanna do any crazy trails or anything, just dirt and crushed gravel roads if I want. I'd say 80% of my riding will be on a road or paved path, so yeah.

I actually did go to my local shop and was recommended this (because I mentioned I wanted a single speed). It's really nice but I don't know if the price is worth it.

http://allcitycycles.com/bikes/nature_boy

Those are cool looking bikes. They are pretty unique and cool looking. I've seen a number of people (fast people) race those bikes in cyclocross races. 

This reply makes no sense to me.

The fucking cycling Fashion Police are insane. Ha ha. Not sure if you ride a ton but let's just say that the only thing that rivals the insanity of cycling fashion shit is high-end yoga ladies gear.

I ride mostly in hand me down jerseys and whatever shorts I've found on sale over the years. I usually buy a couple new pairs of shorts in the middle of winter when there are sales. I actually indulged in a finishers jersey at a race last year - I felt like a sucker but after training for months and suffering for six hours I felt I earned the damn thing. Plus it came in audacious colors which is what I like.

On another note: Anyone have a grip tape brand to recommend? I am redoing my bike in all Red for my son since my current grip is wrecked. 

Oh totally. The team I ride for was sponosred by PI... so I wore PI. I have one kit from Primal that's nice. There's a huge difference between cheap shit, and decent shit. But I can't justify $200 on a kit. Especially now that I barely ride. 

I just didn't get that guy's comment about paying a lot for a kit when he asked an opinion on a bike...

^ajxd....my opinion on the bike was that its hideous! my comment on gear was a bit dickish (was prawlly a bit drunk)....implying hes a weekend warrior that spends 2 grand or more on a ride that he doesnt need. lebowski asks for opinions in a cycling thread but he seemed to already have his mind made up on carbon fiber. no cycling police here i just love bikes and hate to see people buy a bike thats not really suited for them. as i see them everyday on the road/trails. people are free to buy what they want.

• 2 weeks later...

Is there a good way to plan a cycling trip ahead of time? I think there are things like MapMyRide which track where you ride, but I'm looking for something to suggest a bike-friendly route to follow.

I want to bike around Lake Saint Clair. I think it can be done in 2 days without too much trouble. Something like 120 miles, but it should be pretty flat.

I bought a Specialized Sirrus last year and I love it. Only downside is that its 24 speed and I really only use 2-3 of them.

Also what someone else said, I bought local because I don't maintain it myself and I get free tuneups for the life of the bike at the shop I bought it. If you're going to do the work yourself you'll have more options. If not, lifetime tuneups is a win.

Is there a good way to plan a cycling trip ahead of time? I think there are things like MapMyRide which track where you ride, but I'm looking for something to suggest a bike-friendly route to follow.

I want to bike around Lake Saint Clair. I think it can be done in 2 days without too much trouble. Something like 120 miles, but it should be pretty flat.

Create an account with Strava (it's free) and look up Strava heat maps. http://labs.strava.com/heatmap/#12/-89.97625/38.80672/blue/bike

It shows you where people are often riding. Where people are often riding is usually cycling friendly areas. 

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I never really kept time on my rides before. Ballpark, I'd say I was easily doing 5 mph faster on the road bike than the last time (on a mountain bike).

Only thing that kinda sucked was that after a while I just took off and left my friends behind. Just got sick of taking a couple pedals and gliding. Hopefully they saw how bad I kicked their ass with the right equipment and they will come with something similar next time.