Cycling? Anyone here ride?

• 4 weeks later...

I got my first bike since a child last summer and love riding now.  I participated in a 36 mile tour de cure (diabetes fundraiser) a couple months back and have really been into longer rides now. 

Before the tour de cure i was just doing 10 mile rides a few times a week, but now every weekend i try to do a 20-35 mile ride along trails/beaches in my town.

my area of town has a lot of brick roads, uneven sidewalks, construction zones... so a hybrid/commuter bike seems like my only real option even though i would love to get a road bike and give that a shot.

anyone have any advice on upgrading to a better hybrid bike? I am not knowledgeable on bikes what so ever and have been thinking about starting to do some research/looking for something new. (right now i just have an entry level Diamondback - edgewood)

any advice would be great.

I got my first bike since a child last summer and love riding now.  I participated in a 36 mile tour de cure (diabetes fundraiser) a couple months back and have really been into longer rides now. 

Before the tour de cure i was just doing 10 mile rides a few times a week, but now every weekend i try to do a 20-35 mile ride along trails/beaches in my town.

my area of town has a lot of brick roads, uneven sidewalks, construction zones... so a hybrid/commuter bike seems like my only real option even though i would love to get a road bike and give that a shot.

anyone have any advice on upgrading to a better hybrid bike? I am not knowledgeable on bikes what so ever and have been thinking about starting to do some research/looking for something new. (right now i just have an entry level Diamondback - edgewood)

any advice would be great.

Let me ask my boyfriend. He works weekends in a bike shop, so I'm sure he could recommend something for you.  I'll shoot you a PM after I talk with him.

They look incredible, great job!

Has anyone been watching the Tour?  I can't get over the mess at the end of stage 1.

The Tour is going to be intense this year! I caught the end of the 1st stage and I really cant believe that that bus was allowed anywhere near the finish! I believe it was a trap.

Yeah that was wild.  Then they brought out a fork lift to try to do....... I don't even know, haha.  I'm actually watching a recording of today's stage.  For some reason just watching it for hours and looking at all the scenery just makes me so happy, lol.

I don't fully understand how it all works, as this is only the 4th tour I've watched continuously, but I'm learning and I like it a lot.

Thinking about riding around Lake Saint Clair one weekend this summer. Not sure on the exact distance but I was thinking maybe 100 miles. Would be pretty cool to do a half day, camp in Canada, then do the second half the next. Gotta make sure you can bike the bridges as well (the Ambassador and the one in Port Huron that goes into Sarnia).

yea i do but im pretty sure they're pretty expensive and im not looking to spend too much money. But im probably gunna go check some out

Just my opinion, but I think a bike is something you either spend $50 on Craigslist for or you spend a grand or more on. Don't split the difference and get something ok, because the more you use it, the more you are going to wish you had gone nicer.

Definitely not more than a grand, not unless you're hardcore into tris or time trial cycling.  Tianna, you could definitely find a great bike for around $500, maybe even less if you ask the shop owner about bikes from the previous model year.  Most local shops also carry used bikes. I got my Trek Skye from our local shop here used, in great condition, for $200.

If I was buying the "bike I am going to ride for 10+ years" I would go with at least a carbon fiber frame if not a titanium.

Skye looks to be an aluminum bike, which is fine. I'm just saying, I personally dropped $400 on an aluminum bike 2 years ago and regret it. I'm in that in-between zone where I want to get a new bike already but I did just spend a fair amount on a bike and feel a little dumb to want a new one already.

Done a couple bike marathons where fat old ladies passed me on bikes pedaling half as hard as I was (and it wasn't a gear issue, I know how to change gears). Equipment makes a big difference! That's why I recommend going cheap then high (if you end up using the cheap one a lot). Not like going mid -> high is horrible either. Or maybe mid is perfect for some people. I don't know. Just sharing my experience.

Any suggestions for a good starter bike? I dont think I want a fixed gear. But idk, lots of hills around here so something thats good for that. Anyways I dont really know where to start

There are so many factors that go into buying a bike. Size, weight, cost, materials used to make the bike. Age of the bike and the thought that you might have to repair it in the future. I would read reviews of different bikes and recommendations from other riders. What are you going to be using it for mostly, riding to work, recreation, exercise, racing, or fun. 

good luck, I hope you find a bike that is good for you.

I'm currently in the market for a hybrid bike. From the research I've done, Craigslist seems to be the best option - I'm a beginner and don't want to drop a grand into something I may not love. I also hear people speak pretty highly of Bikes Direct. Does anyone have any experience with them?

Gotta make sure you can bike the bridges as well (the Ambassador and the one in Port Huron that goes into Sarnia).

You can't bike across the one into Sarnia, but you can have someone from the DOT take you on a truck across.