Buying new Amp

Hey VC

Found a Marantz PM6004 for $590.00aud New, which seems to be a pretty good price down here inn Kangaroo land for that model. Usually Retails for $700-800aud

Just wondering if there are any other Options in that price range that i should be looking at as well, Wanting to buy new, something around $500-800 ish

Running a pair of wharfedale 10.1s and a Project Carbon

any help would be appreciated

I'm surprised that no one ever mentions NAD when it comes to quality budget amps.  They've been making gear for 40 years and offer some of the best bang for the buck.

http://nadelectronics.com/distributors

I don't know how Australian prices compare, but here a couple options.  I assume that you're looking for an integrated amp? Neither of these have a phono stage, so there's that to consider as well.

http://www.audioadvisor.com/prodinfo.asp?number=NAC356BEE

http://www.audioadvisor.com/prodinfo.asp?number=NAC326BEE

The Rega Brio-R is a little above your price range, but it's supposed to be very nice, and it has a phono stage.  Don't get me wrong - the Marantz is very respectable too.  These are just some other choices to research.

There's also some interesting choices in the tube category ... if you're willing to go Chinese, such as Jolida.  That's not really my forte, but if you feel like doing the research ...

Hadnt even thought about tubes.......had done some quick research and everything led back to the Marantz....just didnt want to pull the trigger before checking here and picking up some furthur ideas.

I have also been advised that the inbuilt phono on the Marantz isnt the greatest an ill more than likely require an external phono stage......which is another topic all together I suppose

Pretty sure he's asking for more than just a phono preamp considering the post about an integrated...

And what Chuck said. I'm not a huge fan of NAD, but they do make quality products.

I know. Bearchuck mentioned Jolida and I was just saying that I have a Jolida pre amp that I think is great. My comment wasn't really helpful in suggesting an integrated amp, just a recommendation of the brand.

Hadnt even thought about tubes.......had done some quick research and everything led back to the Marantz....just didnt want to pull the trigger before checking here and picking up some furthur ideas.

I have also been advised that the inbuilt phono on the Marantz isnt the greatest an ill more than likely require an external phono stage......which is another topic all together I suppose

You could make do with the Marantz while you save up for a separate phono pre-amp somewhere down the line.  Lots of good choices starting at $200 and up.  It all really depends on your end game and how far you pan on taking your gear.  If it were me, I would buy the best integrated I could afford.  If it didn't have a phono stage, then I'd buy something really cheap (but serviceable) like an ART DJ Pre II or a used Cambridge 551P until I could afford something nicer.

I dont mind shelling out a bit of cash for each component. I saw the price on the Marantz and thought if I can stick to that kind of price I would be happy....and It wouldnt break the bank too much.......I could also keep it quiet re girlfriend

Might try pick up the Marantz cheaper and spend a bit more (200-400) on an external phono, that would complete my whole basic set up and would do me until such time as I start upgrading bit by bit again when I have a little more knowledge about everything

Kinda looking for an integrated too. Just to be clear, if I buy one with a phono stage then there isn't a need to get a separate phono preamp? That functionality is just built into the integrated?

Just don want to make a stupid purchase so asking.

There isnt a NEED but apparently you will have a vasrlt improvement in sound quality with a better extenal phono

There isnt a NEED but apparently you will have a vasrlt improvement in sound quality with a better extenal phono

But this all depends. My friend just bought the PM8004 and he says its one of the best phono pre's he's ever heard. My Rotel RA1062 has one of the quietest phono pre's I've ever heard in an integrated...

I need something for a third system, and I saw this yesterday.

http://www.amazon.com/Onkyo-A-9050-Integrated-Stereo-Amplifier/dp/B009JBZFVK/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1373476586&sr=8-1&keywords=onkyo+a-9050

I like it because it has a built in DAC and is NOT a HTR. I will only be using it hooked to a computer. I'm not sold on it, but I thought i'd throw it into the mix for your consideration.

Honestly, I wouldn't stress too much about the PM6004's phono stage.  I'm sure it's fine ... at least for the time being. If that's the integrated you want, go ahead and buy it.  It's a good price and you can always start doing your research now and pick up an external phono preamp somewhere down the line.

That doesn't mean that you shouldn't also consider some of these other integrated amps as well.  I think you have a lot to consider; you just have to weigh your options and your needs.