remember when vinyl used to be like, not expensive

10 years ago records were always the cheapest format; usually 2-3 bucks lower than the price of cds.

now it seems the vast majority of vinyl releases are $2-3 more than the cd version, and many times reaching close to $25-30 for an LP/2XLP.

price spike due to more elaborate packagings, or labels cashing in on this supposed "vinyl revival"?

my guess is that back then there was so much more vinyl being produced, hence production, materials and skilled personall were more abundant making it cheaper to produce. production runs would have been in the tens of thousands too, which enables each individual unit to be cheaper.

vinyl is also a very popular niche market and is booming.

my guess is that back then there was so much more vinyl being produced, hence production, materials and skilled personall were more abundant making it cheaper to produce. production runs would have been in the tens of thousands too, which enables each individual unit to be cheaper.

well, i see what you mean, but i think you might be referring back a little further than i am. i guess i should specify. i meant right around the 90's and maybe up to about 2002 or 2003.

well, i see what you mean, but i think you might be referring back a little further than i am. i guess i should specify. i meant right around the 90's and maybe up to about 2002 or 2003.

yeah, fair enough. if we're looking at the recent past, i'm thinking the boom in its popularity coupled with the limited production runs, OTT packaging and general attention to detail has helped up the costs.

although, you'll still find thin-arse vinyl from the 60s and 70s sound better than extravagant 180g 45RPM 7-slab box set blah blah blah records of now.

i think there is a definite lack of quality know-how in the industry. the experts (people and production) do exist, but not in any kind of numbers.

one major factor is vinyl is plastic and plastic is made from petroleum, if you have a car, then you know what petroleum costs are...that shit filters down into record manufacturing too.

also...people are straight up getting greedy...

additionally, the price of gas jacks the price of anything up. gum's price spike a few years ago is because of the spike in the price of gas. went up about 20-30 cents a pack. imagine if a plant is manufacturing everything there, all the pieces have to come from somewhere, and that's all gotta get there via gas...or oxen...