Turntable Recommendation and Help Please

Hey guys, long time member and Im finally trying to upgrade my placer.  I've been using an entry level Sony PS-LX250H for three years, but it kind of crapped the bed and Im looking to pick up something newer and a better.  Here are is my criteria for the new one.  I just need suggestions and basically some education.  

- Belt Drive

- Built In Pre-Amp

- Dust Jacket

-$250 or less

I say built in preamp because that's what I have right now and it does directly to my Onkyo receiver.  I cant really afford an amp too

A separate phono pre-amp can cost you as little as $30. No need to limit your choices by insisting on a table with one already built in. Also, the Carbon (non-USB version) is around $100 over your budget, but still, you should strongly consider it. Best bang for buck out there.

A separate phono pre-amp can cost you as little as $30. No need to limit your choices by insisting on a table with one already built in. Also, the Carbon (non-USB version) is around $100 over your budget, but still, you should strongly consider it. Best bang for buck out there.

Yea I honestly am strongly considering.  Does this also have a built in pre-amp?

The USB version does, but I don't care for built in pres. If you ever want to upgrade you can't bypass it. Unless you luck out finding a vintage Thorensor maybe a Beogram in good condition you won't get anything for $250 which represents an upgrade over your existing setup.

Agreed on the insistence on a built in pre it will definitely limit your choices over time and a Thorens or any of it's direct competitors yes anything B&O no, it's the Scandinavian Bose, form over function.

Agreed on the insistence on a built in pre it will definitely limit your choices over time and a Thorens or any of it's direct competitors yes anything B&O no, it's the Scandinavian Bose, form over function.

Agreed to an extent, however the beograms always go on ebay for about his budget. Problem is the proprietary carts go for $150 and there's no guarantee you won't receive a toasted one.

Agreed to an extent, however the beograms always go on ebay for about his budget. Problem is the proprietary carts go for $150 and there's no guarantee you won't receive a toasted one.

Its a bit sad they are in the same price range as something as good as a Thorens, over here with B&O until a couple a year or so ago it used to be you got something that looked pretty for not a lot of money and you could pick them up for $30 or $40 here for a reason. Now though they are going for very high prices and I should have bought them all up and sat on them as they do look good and snake oil always sells when hype comes to town.

Yes the need to use only B&O carts is a big problem and getting them now is almost impossible but the biggest issue is they are just nowhere near as good as they look or where their original price suggested, I've got a couple of the combo units here which I love the looks of but given the choice regardless of price I would take something like the humble Pioneer PL12 over any B&O turntable.

UPDATE; Well I have bought the Pro-Ject Debut Caron in blue w/ 2M Red cart for $339 brand new from my local stereo equipment dealer.  He ordered it today for me and Im expecting it within a week or so.  $339 seemed like a great deal plus he will give me $50 credit towards it when it comes in if I trade in my current Sony TT.  So that knocks it down to $289.  Not to mention I bought the Sony used 3 years ago for $50 so im not losing anything.

However I have not picked out a pre-amp yet and would love suggestions.  Ranging from $50-$150

UPDATE; Well I have bought the Pro-Ject Debut Caron in blue w/ 2M Red cart for $339 brand new from my local stereo equipment dealer.  He ordered it today for me and Im expecting it within a week or so.  $339 seemed like a great deal plus he will give me $50 credit towards it when it comes in if I trade in my current Sony TT.  So that knocks it down to $289.  Not to mention I bought the Sony used 3 years ago for $50 so im not losing anything.

However I have not picked out a pre-amp yet and would love suggestions.  Ranging from $50-$150

Great price for the Carbon! Congrats. 

Congrats