Event Tria Triamp Speaker System

Okay, I need your help and advice.

We recently got the Event Tria Triamp system dumped on us with a keyboard. I haven't been able to find much out, but I think it's a monitor speaker system and they require a 5-pin connector? They went for about $900 retail and selling for $400 on ebay now. I know nothing about studio monitors and how they work in the casual listening world. I plan on upgrading my tt eventually and getting an integrated amp. I currently have Fluance SX6 bookshelf speakers.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Event-Tria-Triamplified-monitor-speakers-/321272917048

So my question is, is a monitor system like this worth trying to figure out over bookshelf speakers? and if so, how the hell do I do this/is this possible?

are they powered monitors or passive? and are they near field or stage monitors? either way if they sound nice use them.

There are quite a few speakers that were designed by the BBC here in the UK as near-field and mobile broadcast monitors that cause certain parts of the hifi fraternity to have kittens so there's nothing wrong with using monitors as home speakers if they are good quality

Should have had a look at the ebay link myself, looks like a spekon type input so meant to be driven from a desk but a normal pre should drive the system fine, I wouldn't want to be too far from them or have them too far apart but looks to be quite nicely made.

As Slinch says for free they can't be bad and are worth spending a bit on plugs and leads to see what they perform like.