Punk goes 8 bit (punk songs done like Nintendo music)

I looked around and didn't see this covered anywhere and thought I'd spread the word along for any of you out there like myself who like cool custom ringtones for their phone.  If you do and you love punk rock this is for you!

http://punkgoes8-bit.bandcamp.com/

I feel like this would be a fun project to do yourself but why would you ever listen to these really? The songs are better. You can make the songs your ringtones. Don't really see the utility.

I used to use full blown studio versions of the songs off of albums as ringtones, but eventually it got to the point that whenever I'd throw an album on as soon as the song came up that I had as a ringtone I felt like I should be fumbling through my pocket for my phone.  I work in the IT field and have to be on call and I really hate it sometimes when I get a phone call in the middle of the night because a computer somewhere is broken.  I like using these for ringtones better because it sounds like the song, but isn't.

I feel like this would be a fun project to do yourself but why would you ever listen to these really? The songs are better. You can make the songs your ringtones. Don't really see the utility.

There's a a scene for it, although the nitty gritty is straight up chiptunes, the more 'straight forward' chipbands like I Fight Dragons and Anamanaguchi are are just the 'fluff' bands. There's tons of 8-bit only artists and people who genuinely enjoy the music they make. It's pretty cool.

I've heard of 8-bit only artists putting out EPs that are limited to 15 copies on floppy discs. That stuff gets deeper than that, it's rad.

There's a a scene for it, although the nitty gritty is straight up chiptunes, the more 'straight forward' chipbands like I Fight Dragons and Anamanaguchi are are just the 'fluff' bands. There's tons of 8-bit only artists and people who genuinely enjoy the music they make. It's pretty cool.

I've heard of 8-bit only artists putting out EPs that are limited to 15 copies on floppy discs. That stuff gets deeper than that, it's rad.

Wow! On floppy disks? Haha, that's pretty sweet.  For a lot of people who find/get something on cassette tape, it's like: damn, now I gotta dig out my tape player.  For an IT guy like me it would be like: shit I recycled my floppy drive years ago, haha!

I used to use full blown studio versions of the songs off of albums as ringtones, but eventually it got to the point that whenever I'd throw an album on as soon as the song came up that I had as a ringtone I felt like I should be fumbling through my pocket for my phone.  I work in the IT field and have to be on call and I really hate it sometimes when I get a phone call in the middle of the night because a computer somewhere is broken.  I like using these for ringtones better because it sounds like the song, but isn't.

Same here...  I used to love having songs as ring tones but them it would burn me out on some music.  Now I just roll with the standard ringtones that come with my phone.

Wow! On floppy disks? Haha, that's pretty sweet. For a lot of people who find/get something on cassette tape, it's like: damn, now I gotta dig out my tape player. For an IT guy like me it would be like: shit I recycled my floppy drive years ago, haha!

I want to say there was a San Francisco based guy who released his music on punched tape only and you could only access it with a teleprinter. He refused to put his stuff out via mp3, CD, etc. so the only way to easily hear it was to see him live. It's equally ridiculous and genius.

I want to say there was a San Francisco based guy who released his music on punched tape only and you could only access it with a teleprinter. He refused to put his stuff out via mp3, CD, etc. so the only way to easily hear it was to see him live. It's equally ridiculous and genius.

Now that's exclusive, crazy, and ingenious all at the same time!

Wow! On floppy disks? Haha, that's pretty sweet.  For a lot of people who find/get something on cassette tape, it's like: damn, now I gotta dig out my tape player.  For an IT guy like me it would be like: shit I recycled my floppy drive years ago, haha!

I still have my zip drive in case an emergency ever happens :)