Help choosing a preamp

Such an unwarranted, unkind comment from a senior member of the community.

I have ears like the rest of you. Maybe not ears trained on a $1000+ system but I know enough what kind of sound I want to get if I"m spending over $700 on music playing devices. Thanks for sharing your experience in helping me decide what pre-amps in this price range would give me close to what I want rather than insulting me. I appreciate it!

if you want help/advice from people who know what they're talking about, then part of that is them calling you on your shit. instead of whining about it, realize you're learning terminology.

if you want help/advice from people who know what they're talking about, then part of that is them calling you on your shit. instead of whining about it, realize you're learning terminology.

You have a point, but the comment in question was neither warranted nor informative.

These aren't meaningless adjectives.  "Warm" in audio terms refers to having a thicker low midrange and rolled off highs.  This tends to also be the definition of "the tube sound".  This can often be more listenable and less ear fatiguing than a colder, more analytical and detailed, sound (which is what people mean by "sounding solid state").  This is all gear dependent. 

You usually want some balance, whatever sounds good to your ears.  This is where "system synergy" comes into play.

Warmth and detail were explained very well here

It's probably available here but not widely, it's not one where I would be able to borrow one from one of the suppliers I know for evaluation. I'd like to hear one or two opinions against stuff i'm familiar with before I pulled the trigger.

I've heard a few good reviews and one or two which say it's a bit bass heavy, which can of course be cartridge or loading related but if I can't easily hear one myself without buying one I like to do my research.

I won't be able to compare the two to each other, since it's my first preamp, and I'm only buying one… i'm still undecided. I suppose I want warm over detail. But I guess overall, like someone else said, your whole set up is what provides some sort of balance. I'll be pairing it with a debut carbon, and, for the time being, the audio engines

I could be wrong, but I think Emotiva gives you 30 days... but I guess you don't want to lose out on shipping. I don't think stores really carry them. I think they're direct sales only.

From what I have read the Emotiva kit has a good following and they look a good company but yes 30 days would easily get eaten up in shipping in both directions. Oh well I shall just have to keep reading.

I won't be able to compare the two to each other, since it's my first preamp, and I'm only buying one… i'm still undecided. I suppose I want warm over detail. But I guess overall, like someone else said, your whole set up is what provides some sort of balance. I'll be pairing it with a debut carbon, and, for the time being, the audio engines

Ok, I thought you already had the Cambridge, as above I'll rind some reviews somewhere to base a decision on I'm sure

Emotiva only deals direct as far as I know.  You should try contacting them.  They would likely give you 30 days from date you receive the item for review.

OK thanks for that, I'm going to try and find a few more reviews before I try it, with the vagaries of shipping over great distances and with customs men involved it worries me a bit about taking something on a sale or return basis. Maybe I could find a 2nd hand one depending on price.

• 2 weeks later...

May just be me but I'm a sucker for vintage Quad stuff and you can usually pick it up for decent prices my full setup of a Quad 44 pre-amp, Quad 450-2 Power amp and Quad FM4 tuner cost about £300 in total and only needed a little bit of TLC and elbow grease to bring it back up to scratch.

You can usually nab a well looked after and serviced quad pre-amp for anything between £100-£200 depends on what model you go for.

May just be me but I'm a sucker for vintage Quad stuff and you can usually pick it up for decent prices my full setup of a Quad 44 pre-amp, Quad 450-2 Power amp and Quad FM4 tuner cost about £300 in total and only needed a little bit of TLC and elbow grease to bring it back up to scratch.

You can usually nab a well looked after and serviced quad pre-amp for anything between £100-£200 depends on what model you go for.

The OP is asking about a separate phono stage, they are quite often referred to as pre amps or phono pre's now which can cause quite a bit of confusion