Help choosing a preamp

Hey guys I just got myself a Pro-Ject Debut Carbon TT and am looking for a pre amp to pair with it and my KRK Rokit 8's (Powered studio monitors). I'm unsure at what price the sound quality really changes. I'm looking at Pro-Jects range of preamps and have heard good things about most of them and I've also heard the ART DJPreII absolutely rules for the price. I've also been looking into tube preamps and whether its worth it to go that route. So what do you guys think I should do? Go for the ART until I can afford to go over my $300 budget for a tube pre(probably the same time I shop for new speakers) Or go for something seemingly in the middle like a Project Phono Box S?

I know that but have seen people rant and rave about how the ART is better than a lot of preamps over $200. And the features on it over the ProJect units is also attractive, do you have any experience with the ART? The only reason I'm still looking at this one with a $300 max budget would be to upgrade to a nice tube pre in time.

Hey guys I just got myself a Pro-Ject Debut Carbon TT and am looking for a pre amp to pair with it and my KRK Rokit 8's (Powered studio monitors). I'm unsure at what price the sound quality really changes. I'm looking at Pro-Jects range of preamps and have heard good things about most of them and I've also heard the ART DJPreII absolutely rules for the price. I've also been looking into tube preamps and whether its worth it to go that route. So what do you guys think I should do? Go for the ART until I can afford to go over my $300 budget for a tube pre(probably the same time I shop for new speakers) Or go for something seemingly in the middle like a Project Phono Box S?

I grabbed the Phono USB 2 by Pro-Ject you can find it for a decent price on eBay time to time... and record your records onto your computer if you wish!

So now I'm torn between grabbing a Cambridge 551p, project phono box s or splurging on a tube box s or an older one I'm looking at on eBay. Thoughts? Does anyone have experience with projects tube pre line? I've heard they're great from most sources but a couple people say they're not even a true tube pre they just have a tube buffer.

So now I'm torn between grabbing a Cambridge 551p, project phono box s or splurging on a tube box s or an older one I'm looking at on eBay. Thoughts? Does anyone have experience with projects tube pre line? I've heard they're great from most sources but a couple people say they're not even a true tube pre they just have a tube buffer.

buy one and try it, dont like it, return it and start again. Or just order three, and return the 2 you do no like, Who knows you might even like the sound of 2 of them and return only 1

I've not compared it, however I've extensively compared it to the Parasound Z-Phono USB (which is a Stereophile recommended component and $350 retail) and it does well.  The Emotiva is more lively and exciting sounding (especially in the low end), but it is slightly less nuanced and detailed. 

Detail and warmth tend to compromise the other.  The more detail you have, the colder the sound is.

... until you start climbing the audio ladder!  Which is not to say that preamps don't have certain sound characteristics, but it also doesn't mean that you have to sacrifice warmth for detail.

But yeah, with entry-level equipment, I wouldn't obsess too much about those things.  Obviously you should read reviews and gather as many opinions as you can.  You want to make an informed purchase and ultimately choose a preamp that you'll be happy with.  But it's not like you have a real reference point to begin with ... and there's probably not miles of difference between something like the Emotiva and the Cambridge anyway.  Both of those are solid choices for an entry-level setup.  I'd also look into the Hagerman Bugle, Musical Fidelity V90-LPS or maybe even a dark horse like the DB Systems db-8.

And truthfully, the Art DJ Pre isn't bad at all.  I bought one a couple years ago just for the fun of it.  I was surprised at the performance, but ultimately it wasn't nearly as engaging or enjoyable as some other preamps I had heard in the $150 - $200 range.

And that's probably the price range I'd shoot for.  As I said, you're at the entry-level point.  Get a preamp that's equal to the rest of your equipment and live with it for a few months.  Maybe you'll be happy where you are ... or maybe you'll want to move up the ladder.  No point in overspending now though, unless you're absolutely sure that you'll eventually upgrade the rest of your gear.

I think he was trying to say "I heard these terms used before in audio talk, I'll use them without knowing what they actually mean".

Why be a douche? As though anyone can truly describe "warmth" when relating to audio or in general for that matter. I think "detail" speaks for itself. I hate the elitist attitudes from some members here.

Why be a douche? As though anyone can truly describe "warmth" when relating to audio or in general for that matter. I think "detail" speaks for itself. I hate the elitist attitudes from some members here.

These aren't meaningless adjectives.  "Warm" in audio terms refers to having a thicker low midrange and rolled off highs.  This tends to also be the definition of "the tube sound".  This can often be more listenable and less ear fatiguing than a colder, more analytical and detailed, sound (which is what people mean by "sounding solid state").  This is all gear dependent. 

You usually want some balance, whatever sounds good to your ears.  This is where "system synergy" comes into play.

I think he was trying to say "I heard these terms used before in audio talk, I'll use them without knowing what they actually mean".

Such an unwarranted, unkind comment from a senior member of the community.

I have ears like the rest of you. Maybe not ears trained on a $1000+ system but I know enough what kind of sound I want to get if I"m spending over $700 on music playing devices. Thanks for sharing your experience in helping me decide what pre-amps in this price range would give me close to what I want rather than insulting me. I appreciate it!

Being a wimp would be acting passively. I thought the prior statement was a major waste of time and accomplished nothing positive at all so I spoke up about it. The dude is asking for help. Just because I say something is douchey doesn't mean I'm butthurt. The problem with this generation is the fact that people can't defend anything without being considered whiney or butthurt. Someone find this dude some fucking warmth and detail. I damn sure don't know where to begin.