Max Richter - Memoryhouse (reissue 2xLP white)

nelso330

So I am starting this post 1 because it just came out, and I got it today. Its a double LP reissue on dirty white colored vinyl, gatefold jacket, expanded artwork, act….From Fatcat Records...

I just got done emailing them, as the entire first LP has surface noise (crackling) through the ENTIRE record. Its literally almost non-stop! I've cleaned it several times. My needle is brand new and my table is fine. All my other records play fine. 

I believe either this is just a garbage pressing. Or I got a lemon...

If anyone else here has or gets a copy please let me know! I will update if anyone is interested if I hear back and get a replacement. But I am guessing someone dropped the ball on ok-ing an awful test pressing! 

http://fatcat.sandbaghq.com/max-richter-memoryhouse.html

what is odd is on the fat cat site, they have a deluxe and LP option? Drastic different price. Maybe its the old pressing? If so I am going to ask for that??? 

The second record so far has significantly less noise….

What variant you ordered them from initially? The "LP" (10.99 GBP) or the "Deluxe LP" (21.99 GBP)´? I ordered about a month ago and I think only the Deluxe LP was available, I will probably receive it next week, it was shipped couple of days ago.

That 10.99 GBP variant seems like a mistake on the site... too cheap for Fat Cat records.

This is a huge bummer, Nelso.  I was extremely excited when I saw that Memoryhouse was going to be made available once again.  I contacted Fat Cat and they confirmed that the colored repress is limited to 1,500.  What you're describing sounds like it'd match the cover perfectly, but the fact that it's un-listenable is such a buzzkill.  I'd love to think that you just got a bad apple from the barrel, and that it'd be an easy replacement, but I do kind of doubt it.

Ya, Derek I hope! I see on the USA site there is only one option…I think its a mistake. But I've emailed a few people so we will see what they say Monday. Good news is the 2nd LP sounds GREAT! Almost flawless….

What is kinda weird is I got to different sleeves with it. The 1st LP was standard square like white. 2nd Lp was the curved edges white sleeve with the plastic insert. (what if some how I got a reject test pressing on the first LP lol) looking too into it! 

Lets cross our fingers! 

Received mine today. First record was indeed in a regular white paper inner sleeve, the second one in a polylined inner sleeve.

I think its very important to mention that because this record is very quiet in general, even the sleeve can make a huge difference in surface noise because the regular paper sleeve gives the record a ton of static and the polylined one dont. Often times you cant even get rid of that static even with many cleanings. I did hear a difference in surface noise, but it was because of the static, I know when I hear one.

Both of these records actually have surface noise - if you use white/light grey marbled vinyl, you cant have a quiet record with no surface noise to begin with.

Anyway, my records were actually super warped/dished, so yay. Not.

Fatcat wrote back and gave me 1 sentence. Sorry to read about your experience, have you contacted Amazon?

NO idiots, if you read my email I am inquiring if the press is a bad press. So if I should return or exchange….God, record companies can be just plain stupid….on many levels in this release case! 

• 2 weeks later...

Bump for some very good news on this.

According to Richter's official Facebook page, it sounds like he is signing into a deal with Deutsche Grammophon, and plans to re-record Memoryhouse for a release in September.  This is kind of a bummer for anyone who hopped on the recent and noisy repress, but it's at least an indicator that we're on the right track, and should have a proper recording later this Fall.  Ideally.

But that's just the icing on the cake.  The real news is that the partnership with DG means that this April will see the repress and sale of his critically acclaimed solo albums.  24 Postcards in Full Color, Infra, Songs From Before, and The Blue Notebooks should all be made available in the next month, assuming everything goes according to plan.

Bump for some very good news on this.

According to Richter's official Facebook page, it sounds like he is signing into a deal with Deutsche Grammophon, and plans to re-record Memoryhouse for a release in September.  This is kind of a bummer for anyone who hopped on the recent and noisy repress, but it's at least an indicator that we're on the right track, and should have a proper recording later this Fall.  Ideally.

But that's just the icing on the cake.  The real news is that the partnership with DG means that this April will see the repress and sale of his critically acclaimed solo albums.  24 Postcards in Full Color, Infra, Songs From Before, and The Blue Notebooks should all be made available in the next month, assuming everything goes according to plan.

cool will be following this for sure.

I just remembered that the Sigur Ros records I have from Fat Cat, are also very surface noise heavy (black vinyl), so it seems like its typical for them. That said, I dont actually mind the surface noise (there is a lot of it) on this Memoryhouse reissue, I think it even adds to the experience a little, because the whole thing sounds just like one big nostalgia piece anyway - it mostly feels like listening to a 78RPM really.

What Derek didnt mention is that The Four Seasons also gets re-released next month on CD + DVD (CD reissue of the studio recording with bonus tracks and a live performance on DVD) and a 2LP reissue (reissue of the studio recording on the first LP and the bonus tracks on the second LP).

• 1 month later...
Oh yeah, sorry I meant the represses you mentioned in one of your posts above. You said they may be available this month? Just wanted to check if there was any more new info on those.

You mean the back catalog?  Blue Notebook, etc.?  No mention of the repress on those quite yet.  I know he just signed over, so there's probably going to be some details and licenses to hammer out before they see production.  I've been eagerly waiting ever since that announcement was made, and plan to bump this thread as soon as some solid info surfaces.

Yup, that is what I was talking about. Eagerly waiting as well, so I look forward to that bump. Thanks a lot.

Bump, with some news for you.

As mentioned above, Memoryhouse is going to receive a vinyl remaster since both pressings sound like balls. And that will be made available later in the year. But in the meantime, Deutsche Grammophon has announced details on the other 4 albums. They should be available in June, with re-imagined artwork that's consistent across all releases.

GuwZKdQ.jpg

I'm personally not crazy about the yellow Deutsche stamp, but it beats the giant yellow banner across Vivaldi. Who knows? - Maybe they'll be stickers. Either way, it's a very miniscule thing to complain about when you consider the cost of original copies. Stoked for June.

Mixed news / update: whoever is running the Max Richter Facebook is obviously in the know as far as releases and pressings go, and he claims that there are currently no pending orders to repress the albums onto vinyl. He did say, however, that they're noting the amount of interest and discussing it with the new label. Anyone who wants to own these on vinyl should probably Tweet / comment / e-mail one of Max's various social outlets. If we can rally interest it may push the process forward, or at least make it more probable.

Still confused about the Fat Cat Memoryhouse vinyl. Did they repress it and it still sounds bad? 

The latest (second) press on grey / white / whatever was used from the same masters.  So, yes... it's just as noisy - if not noisier - than the original press.  The 3rd press, with presumably new plates, should happen later this year.