Amplification & preamps

So I'm looking to start a legitimate set-up. And of course, I read through the "DONT BUY A CROSLEY! EVER!" guide, but I am still pretty confused on the Amp, Preamp, Receiver etc. portion.

Based on my budget and some recent posts from others in my position I've come up with this:

Pro-ject Debut Carbon

Pro-ject Phono Box MM

Audioengine A2 Speakers

Am I missing something?

Currently, I'm in a pretty tiny apartment (2 rooms and a bathroom) so I'm not looking for super bass wake the neighbors sound. I'm not an audiophile. I'd like to play and enjoy my records without damaging them.

Hmm me too, considering new posters are urged to read that thread which is meant to guide someone in a high quality set-up.

If one is better than the other then so be it. I was merely pointing out that in my research I didn't realize those speakers had a power amp built-in, or that that was even a thing and was looking for some advice about it.

Excuse my ignorance, but why are passive speakers prefered over powered?

Hmm me too, considering new posters are urged to read that thread which is meant to guide someone in a high quality set-up.

If one is better than the other then so be it. I was merely pointing out that in my research I didn't realize those speakers had a power amp built-in, or that that was even a thing and was looking for some advice about it.

Excuse my ignorance, but why are passive speakers prefered over powered?

The same reason good turntables don't have built in phono preamps like cheaper ones.  Quality. There are multiple reasons for that.  Research amplification and research speaker design.  You'll find out why a power speaker with a 2.75" "woofer" is not a good choice for hifi.

I have the Debut Carbon with A2s. It sounds good to my ears. I have an emotiva preamp.

However, most people here will tell you to do the common one, and they are right. I wish id done an integrated amp and passive speakers. I will in the future but now I've spent what I have already. The sound is good but turns out I want my tv speakers and my computer aux with lossless coming out of the same setup. I didn't think I would.