Does anyone else get sick of confusing re-issues?

Creating a new catalog number and barcode is easy. But for the record label, it can create a lot of logistical and accounting headaches. For each new catalog number, we need to track sales, expenses, royalty payouts, etc, etc. If we are repressing a title that is essentially the same, it just isn't justifiable to create a new release. If we do a deluxe reissue or it is substantively different, we'll issue a new catalog number and barcode.

It can also complicate digital media delivery. You'd have a different product on itunes and spotify than the one that you are selling physically.

It would also fuck up sales tracking for a release. If you issue it as a new product, sales for that title start over at zero. (This would be related to sales records that count towards having a record go gold). Obviously not an issue for most titles, but it's something that is taken into consideration by bigger indies and majors.

I agree it can be a pain in the ass to make sure you are getting the version you want on ebay and discogs. The worst (on discogs) is that some titles start out as having only one submission for multiple versions, and then the repress is added later as a separate entry. Many of the people selling represses in the OG pressing's listing often don't move them over. I've tried to edit submissions like this to minimize the impact on sellers and buyers, but I got yelled at so I gave up. (Make the entry that 600 people own the common repress, and add the rare OG pressing as a new entry). I understand why they have the rules they do, but it makes it likely that people aren't going to get what they are expecting unless they know what to ask.

to piggyback on this...

a lot of times to save money, we press the paper goods for a repress at the time of the initial pressing to get a better price break. it makes the initial investment a little more expensive, but then you already have paper goods paid for and on hand for a repress. which is great for turn times.

Chill out. I'm a dick, no surprises there. But that doesn't make this thread worthwhile or interesting. I forgot that people get way to butthurt in this forum. I'll see myself out and go back to the Everything Else section.

Just remember "worthwhile or interesting" is relative. I click on <10% of the threads in this section for a reason--they're not interesting to me. Honestly, I'm not super interested in this one either, but I stopped by to see the comedy that is people like you stopping by to hate on it!

Side note: This is an absolutely textbook Message Board topic. The VC Board is pretty non-standard when it comes to type of threads. We stick almost solely to PO's and specific record promotions (with a few exceptions), but most boards are at least half rants, etc. That's what online message boards are [half] for! 

The only reason this shows up is that fewer records are pressed now and quite a few don't get a repress.

When vinyl was king things were pressed and re pressed over and over with no real way of identifying the press, the vinyl from press A could end up in the sleeve for press B or even C etc. etc.

Life is a whole lot easier for vinyl pressed after say the year 2000, try working it out on records from the 60's, 70's or 80's that were pressed by the warehouse full that's a whole different world of headaches. In fact the late 80's and 90's are probably the worst in reality, at least in the 50's, 60's and 70's enough were pressed to need enough tooling to generate the many different matrix codes.

The only real hope with this is people keeping things like the Discogs database up to date and accurate, the problem with people being lazy when it comes to listing their records for sale is a different matter all together but then I always use the buyer beware rule when looking to buy something.