Vinyl to look for in INDIA... Suggestions?

Hey all,

I've got a good friend who is traveling to India in a month or so, and has agreed to pick up anything of interest for me while he's there.

I figured some foreign wax would be sweet, but I don't quite know what to suggest he look for...

What would be available in INDIA that I couldn't simply get in the US?

Thanks!

---

I'll keep a running list of suggestions here:

- Jaan Pehechan Ho single by Muhammad Rafi.

- THIS It's the soundtrack from the Bollywood film "Gumnaam" and features the Mohammed Rafi track

- Ananda Shankar - any and all of his records.

- Any OST done by R.D. Burman and/or Kalyani Anadji (sp?)

- Van Shipley

- Hariprasad Chaurasia... flute king of India

- Amjad Ali Khan for some gnarly sarod playing.

- Rahul Dev Burman (aka RD Burman)

- Bombay The Hard Way series

- bootlegs of hard-to-find Western world releases.

- 78 RPM singles by the Beatles

Jaan Pehechan Ho single by Muhammad Rafi.

Also, I want one too. Tell him to pick up two if he finds it.

Funny, I posted I similar thread on r/vinyl and got basically the same response!

THIS It's the soundtrack from the Bollywood film "Gumnaam" and features the Mohammed Rafi track 'Jan Penchan Ho' which was recently used in a popular Heineken commercial It is IMPOSSIBLE to find for a decent price. The song is also used in the opening credits of the film "Ghost World" and there was a 1000 copy limited press single sided 7" picture disc pressing of the song as a promotion to the movie, but even these fetch a pretty penny.

Guest Justin Maheiny

I hope he's into collecting records too. Kinda dick to expect someone to trek around vinyl with them for you while they are travelling around a country.

I hope he's into collecting records too. Kinda dick to expect someone to trek around vinyl with them for you while they are travelling around a country.

Even if he wasn't (he is), that's entirely besides the point.

No one's being forced to do anything. 

My friend is FROM India, so he'll be "home" while there, and not trekking around with vinyl for me.

His suggestion, I'm just taking advantage of the offer.

Guest Justin Maheiny

Ya. That's definitely different than. When I went to the Phillipines, I bought some records that I thought would be hilarious right at the start of the trip in Manila and then had to haul them to different islands, provinces, etc. and gave up by day four or five. Couldn't imagine doing that for someone else without hating that person by the end of my trip.

I ended up hearing this song and a couple others like a thousand times in a 2 week period any way.

Maybe Rahul Dev Burman (aka RD Burman)?
He wrote a song called Blaze of the Grail that was sampled by Handsome Boy Modeling School in the track The Hours that featured Chino, El-P and Cage.

Original:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Zf8pzwI2dm8#t=46
Version with El-P and Chino:

Secret Chiefs 3's kickass version:

Any 60's 78s will net you crazy money. You have to realize the format was dominant there because most of the country still was not electrically powered. Beatles will be the big ticket item but keep your eyes peeled for any pop/rock stuff.

Do NOT buy any turntable unless it will cost you less than 50usd

Keep your eyes peeled for Beatles LPs too. They are rare variants that were printed and pressed in dum dum but most albums actually used the UK plates. If you can find mint copies for cheap they should sound great, amongst the best sounding beatles records. Assuming good pressing quality of course, it varies.

Any 60's 78s will net you crazy money. You have to realize the format was dominant there because most of the country still was not electrically powered. Beatles will be the big ticket item but keep your eyes peeled for any pop/rock stuff.

Do NOT buy any turntable unless it will cost you less than 50usd

Keep your eyes peeled for Beatles LPs too. They are rare variants that were printed and pressed in dum dum but most albums actually used the UK plates. If you can find mint copies for cheap they should sound great, amongst the best sounding beatles records. Assuming good pressing quality of course, it varies.

Awesome advice! Thanks!!