'Name Your Price' Bandcamp bands

• 1 month later...

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Past few days I've seen a few name your price albums on bandcamp that have 0 songs up for stream like that one.^  Kenny from Moneen had me sold to click the link and listen, but when I saw I had to dl before listening I decided not to.  I've been noticing this mircotrend lately and I find it completely baffling... I just don't have the spare HD space to download willy-nilly without hearing stuff first.  I dunno, I just don't get it.  You can't hear it unless you download first, but it's still free?  Such a weird business model to me.  Never seen this model before and then I've noticed it a bunch recently.  Maybe there's some reasoning behind it, like it boosts downloads over plays.  Maybe dls are more sought after?  And if people don't like it they can just trash-bin it.  Seems kind of sly, I'm not into it.  I just don't want to give up the space to something that I have no idea how it sounds.  Also I'd rather click 'play', wait, decide than wait, click 'play' decide.

Another model I've been noticing that makes about as much sense, actually probably even less sense: You can't stream anything, but you can buy the download.  This makes sense for albums that haven't launched yet, (digital pre-orders) especially if they tease you with a track or 3, so you have some idea what you're getting into if you shell out the skrill.  But to offer 0 seconds of listening and say 'you have to give us X amount and then you can have a download' is way too 'mystery box' for me.  And that's coming from a guy who used to walk into record stores and passion-buy albums based on album artwork and 0 seconds of listening all the time.

Good call, I'll let them know

Awesome, yeah I'd be much more likely to stream and then potentially download if I like, rather than download on whim.  That's just my 2 cents but I think, in general, it's a good model and the same could very well be true for others.

I could see not offering a full stream if your download is paid, but if its free/name your price then why not?  I hear good things about name your price.  I heard from 1 label that downloads went through the roof and while the vast majority of people chose free, lots of people choose to donate, and they actually brought in about the same amount of money as when they had a specific price.  And way more people were hearing their stuff so word gets passed around.

What this label did was 'suggested donation' tiers, so like if you have low income, a few bucks, medium $5, high income $10+ and they said it worked out well.

Hm, maybe bandcamp updated recently? And my browser is now too out of date to play anything?  Let me check out some other bandcamp pages where I know they had streams up and see...

*edit* haha yup, well just ignore my last 2 posts then haha... man that sucks, first soundcloud and now bandcamp.  I used to stream stuff on bandcamp almost constantly... checked out sooo many bands on there.  They are leaving me in the stone-age like I am some kind of luddite for using a computer that's not really that old.  Well I guess it's kind of old, but whatever.

I'll probably go back to check it out when I'm not on this old device.

My bros album is now up for donation. Alt/indie stuff. Features Kenny Bridges of Moneen on the last track: https://thewrittenyears.bandcamp.com

I know i have already given props to your brothers band before on the board. But hot damn i honestly cant stop listening to this album. From start to finish it just has me hooked. Plus the short stories that go along with each song is super cool and i get a visual of what happens as the album goes on. I would really love to see this put out on vinyl or tape.

Been doin a bunch of music stuff the past few months I haven't been around posting. (Forget if I already posted these somewhere, sorry if I did haha.)

tffBdvk.png

Two ASE EPs, one's a really really chill ambient thing I made for some friends that have trouble sleeping and the other is a reprise of one of the songs from it that I wanted to do more with.

https://asseasexhale.bandcamp.com/album/recovery

https://asseasexhale.bandcamp.com/album/but-can-you-save-yourself-reprise

Currently working on a new EP and full length for ASE as well as a powerviolence/hardcore/whatever EP for another project. No clue when I'll have them done but yeahhhh things.

Been doin a bunch of music stuff the past few months I haven't been around posting. (Forget if I already posted these somewhere, sorry if I did haha.)

tffBdvk.png

Two ASE EPs, one's a really really chill ambient thing I made for some friends that have trouble sleeping and the other is a reprise of one of the songs from it that I wanted to do more with.

https://asseasexhale.bandcamp.com/album/recovery

https://asseasexhale.bandcamp.com/album/but-can-you-save-yourself-reprise

Currently working on a new EP and full length for ASE as well as a powerviolence/hardcore/whatever EP for another project. No clue when I'll have them done but yeahhhh things.

EVERYONE LISTEN TO THIS

Past few days I've seen a few name your price albums on bandcamp that have 0 songs up for stream like that one.^  Kenny from Moneen had me sold to click the link and listen, but when I saw I had to dl before listening I decided not to.  I've been noticing this mircotrend lately and I find it completely baffling... I just don't have the spare HD space to download willy-nilly without hearing stuff first.  I dunno, I just don't get it.  You can't hear it unless you download first, but it's still free?  Such a weird business model to me.  Never seen this model before and then I've noticed it a bunch recently.  Maybe there's some reasoning behind it, like it boosts downloads over plays.  Maybe dls are more sought after?  And if people don't like it they can just trash-bin it.  Seems kind of sly, I'm not into it.  I just don't want to give up the space to something that I have no idea how it sounds.  Also I'd rather click 'play', wait, decide than wait, click 'play' decide.

You never want to take a gamble on music? That's half the beauty of record collecting. Random gems you stumbled across without having known about previously. I don't really stream much music - if it sounds like something I'd be into, I run the risk. If it sucks, I distro it/sell it on/give it to a friend. If it rules, I win.

You never want to take a gamble on music? That's half the beauty of record collecting. Random gems you stumbled across without having known about previously. I don't really stream much music - if it sounds like something I'd be into, I run the risk. If it sucks, I distro it/sell it on/give it to a friend. If it rules, I win.

Hm, maybe bandcamp updated recently? And my browser is now too out of date to play anything?  Let me check out some other bandcamp pages where I know they had streams up and see...

*edit* haha yup, well just ignore my last 2 posts then haha... man that sucks, first soundcloud and now bandcamp.  I used to stream stuff on bandcamp almost constantly... checked out sooo many bands on there.  They are leaving me in the stone-age like I am some kind of luddite for using a computer that's not really that old.  Well I guess it's kind of old, but whatever.

I'll probably go back to check it out when I'm not on this old device.

5 posts up.

Another model I've been noticing that makes about as much sense, actually probably even less sense: You can't stream anything, but you can buy the download.  This makes sense for albums that haven't launched yet, (digital pre-orders) especially if they tease you with a track or 3, so you have some idea what you're getting into if you shell out the skrill.  But to offer 0 seconds of listening and say 'you have to give us X amount and then you can have a download' is way too 'mystery box' for me.  And that's coming from a guy who used to walk into record stores and passion-buy albums based on album artwork and 0 seconds of listening all the time.

^This is the same post you quoted and then gutted the last paragraph out of.  Notice the bolded part that you stripped out.  If you're going to comment to boost post count, at least try to have it make sense.

Fact is after collecting music for roughly 18 years I've taken many, many chances.  Sometimes I've been rewarded, sometimes I've felt ripped off.  This was part of the game in the pre-downloading world.  More recently it's less necessary.  On a free download?  Sure, I just don't have the harddrive space to sacrifice on that particular computer, so no, not right away.  I'm sure I stated that somewhere too, I know reading is tough, right?

I used to not only passion buy albums blindly, but buy every new album by artists I knew I liked... I've been let down many times since then to the point of swearing off band's future releases til I'm convinced they get their shit on track.  After that, and a collection that is a little larger than I'd like, I'm a lot more choosey about what I pick up now.  I don't have money to toss away, and I don't feel inclined to support bad music.

Actually it looks like it's available for stream, so I'm not sure what I'm missing here

I'm on a newer cpu now so I can finally check it out!

*edit* not the type of stuff I'd typically listen to, but it's very well done and I would recommend for other people to check it out, cause it's likely worth your time.