Custom Made Record Clamps/Weights - Good Idea?

Hey folks, I was looking for a nice record clamp/weight since my setup has a tendency to allow records to float a bit. In addition, I am always looking for a way to increase resonance/improve sound quality. Well, I never found the product I was looking for.

So, I began thinking, brainstorming, planning, and building the perfect product. In the works I am currently whipping up a few prototypes. All will be aircraft quality aluminum (aka billet), and they will be made in different shapes/sizes, and I will be experimenting with different finishes: anodizing (almost all colors), gold-plating (legitimate gold), and chrome.

In addition to the clamps, we will be playing around making 45 adaptors in the same finishes.My buddy really wants to begin to try and make turntable decks out of the same billet stock. Then we can combine them with exotic hardwoods. But that's another deal altogether.

I will post pics once the prototypes are finished. My question is, does anyone else use these? Would anyone else be interested in something like this? The price point if I were to sell them would be $30-50. They would be professionally manufacted out of quality components. This is half a feeler and half a statement of personal interest.

Thanks!

Dane

I always love seeing any new ideas, but in this hobby they have to be done properly. As long as anyone involved has some experience with record weights/clamps to not make crucial mistakes like improper balance or height, things should go well.

What about the actual weight? With the lower price point I'm guessing you're looking at a broader audience, with generally lower end equipment, so you have to be very careful when deciding how heavy the weight will be.

Anyways, I'm looking forward for any updates and to see where things go! :)

To be really honest, the goal would be to make something that a high end stereo would benefit from, but at a price that a newbie could/would buy it. It will be top end stock and construction, so that will be as good as any audiophile uses. The weights seem to be fairly standard around 375-400g. Everything would be automated on a super high-tec lathe system, guaranteeing balance and leaving no room for human error.

However, everything I am saying is up for discussion, since it is still in development. Maybe we make a 350g version at $30 up to a 425g version at $40...or something along those lines.

Well, like I said, we are TOTALLY open to your input. We want to know what you want. We have virtually no limits. We have a full machine shop, complete with computer-guided aquacutting, laser cutting/etching, cnc, yadda yadda. I'm just looking for interest and ideas.

So, 350g isn't for you? Let's talk about alternative weights and clamps. Show me what you have in mind.

I'm all for a heavy weight, 350g and up, but there are really a lot of newcomers to this hobby with entry tables like the Pro-Ject Debut and the Rega RP1. Those weren't built to support such a heavy weight, so as a result slower playing speed and damage to the bearing are relatively common. A lighter weight can be used though, usually up to 200g, but then it comes to the question of how well such a light weight actually works.

So a perfect solution is a clamp, which s basically a weight that achieves it's goal not by weight alone but by "clamping" to the spindle. Some specialized clamps have a thread so they can be screwed onto a threaded spindle, but obviously this cannot be used universally. Others have a mechanism that grabs the spindle when you tighten them, essentially locking the clamp in place. These are usually light enough to be used on any table, but work just as well as a heavy weight.

A very basic example of this is the Clearaudio Clever Clamp. There's no mechanism to it, but it works much better than a light record weight. Another widely used clamp, one with a mechanism to grip the spindle, is the SOTA I Clamp. This is obviously harder to design than just a simple weight, but if you add something like that to your assortment, you can cover a much wider customer base.

I'm all for a heavy weight, 350g and up, but there are really a lot of newcomers to this hobby with entry tables like the Pro-Ject Debut and the Rega RP1. Those weren't built to support such a heavy weight, so as a result slower playing speed and damage to the bearing are relatively common. A lighter weight can be used though, usually up to 200g, but then it comes to the question of how well such a light weight actually works.

So a perfect solution is a clamp, which s basically a weight that achieves it's goal not by weight alone but by "clamping" to the spindle. Some specialized clamps have a thread so they can be screwed onto a threaded spindle, but obviously this cannot be used universally. Others have a mechanism that grabs the spindle when you tighten them, essentially locking the clamp in place. These are usually light enough to be used on any table, but work just as well as a heavy weight.

A very basic example of this is the Clearaudio Clever Clamp. There's no mechanism to it, but it works much better than a light record weight. Another widely used clamp, one with a mechanism to grip the spindle, is the SOTA I Clamp. This is obviously harder to design than just a simple weight, but if you add something like that to your assortment, you can cover a much wider customer base.

I sent this information to my design partner. We will look into this as an additional product. For starters, I think, we will need to stick to higher end products. Although I definitely agree with you about covering the whole market. 

Build your weights/clamps for Pro-ject Debut models and you'll make a lot more money than for higher end TTs. Im probably in for one at $30 after I see the final product.

How would this build look different? Just lighter weight or clamp-style? Maybe I need to buy a Pro-ject to test it out...nah, it'd be way cheaper just to give them away to you folks as guinea pigs. 

How would this build look different? Just lighter weight or clamp-style? Maybe I need to buy a Pro-ject to test it out...nah, it'd be way cheaper just to give them away to you folks as guinea pigs.

I'd say clamp style is going to be best for entry level Pro-jects. I have the debut carbon and am more than willing to be a guinea pig. ;)

Yeah a lighter weight but a clamp would be even better.  I believe Pro-ject TTs are the #1 selling TTs on the market so you would definitely be hitting a much wider market catering to these TTs.  Bonus is that Pro-ject doesn't sell clamps or weights for their Debut (and lower) models, so you wouldn't be directly competing with them.

And yeah, if you ever needed a guinea pig to test out your product, I'm game for one as well.

I've often thought about doing aftermarket accessories for pro-ject TTs.  Unfortunately I hit a dead end looking into manufacturing delrin platters, so don't go that route, haha.

This is the clamp that I want but haven't gotten around to dropping the $60 for it.  I've been told this fits the Carbon so I assume it will fit pretty much all Pro-ject models at or below the Debut series.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/330289528910?ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1423.l2649

I'd think a 45 adapter/weight combo would yield no real benefit. It just wouldn't be heavy enough to really do anything. Unless you made it quite tall, but then it'd be unstable while spinning.

The major benefit comes from a heavy weight(say 500grams+) pressing down on the record. A weight the size of a 45 adapter might be 50 grams???And actually useless as a weight when used as the adapter.

The minor benefit comes through adding mass to the platter in an even way, increasing inertia, improving speed stability. 50grams will be negligible at best. And for the price the end consumer would wind up paying(likely $20?), they'd expect some kind of notable difference. Not just a perceived difference.

My .02c though