New receiver, only getting extremely low volume. Help!

Hi. I just picked up an MCS 3233 and tried to get it all set up. Everything powers up and sound comes out but it outputs a nearly inaudible volume, even with the the volume dial maxed. This is the case with with the built-in radio channel as well, so I don't think it's an external connection problem. The speakers were working fine with my old receiver earlier today, so that isn't the problem either. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Just had a quick search as MCS isn't a brand I'm aware of, it seems they were JC Penneys house brand which is why I have never heard of them in the UK.

Anyway might be a silly question but there is a button on the front for headphone's this isn't pushed in or faulty is it? also if it is the output transistors they are very common.

There is an MCS appreciation group on Audiokarma and from what I can gather it's quite a nice unit, it seems quite a few different Japanese manufacturers made stuff for JC Penney like Panasonic and NEC and there is a house sound which is warm and mellow.