if you live in North or South Carolina help me out!

Hey guys, I live in florida and will be most likely heading to Charlotte, NC to see Jack White in June. I wanted to spend some time in both the Carolina's since I'll have some time and might not head that way again. I usually do a lot of research online for places I'm traveling to but I'm coming up short for both states and wanted to know if you guys can help me with some questions.

-What are the best cities in both states? I can go to any of their cities so distance doesn't matter. I like independent communities similar to Little 5 Points in Atlanta and Wicker Park in Chicago. I've heard Asheville in NC has some locations like that? Any suggestions are helpful.

-So, more specifically what are some of the independent neighborhoods in both states?

-Best record stores in both states?

-Best coffee shops?

-Best donut places?

-Specialty museums? Good museums in general?

-Best comic book stores or used book stores?

-Best breakfasts or diners?

-Can't miss attractions?

-Also, in Charlotte I found the world of oz abandoned theme park. Has anyone been? Seems really cool and like something I'd like to visit.

Thanks so much. I appreciate any help I can get and if anyone is going to the show maybe we can hang.

that oz theme park is like 3 hours from charlotte dude, like 20 miles from Boone.  It is pretty cool though, just know ya kinda gotta make a day out of it.

Asheville rules, they have a MOOG museum, Pinball Museum, insane breakfast at BiscuitHead, and enough beer for the entire state. If you're into beer, check out: 

Wicked Weed

Burial

Twin Leaf

Wedge

Asheville Brewing

Highwire

Green Man

There are others, but those are my favorites, in that order too I think. There's also Fonta Flora in Morganton, their beer is great as well.

Food in Asheville:

All of it. haha

Durham is super rad too, and here you also have chapel hill, raleigh, carrboro, and hillsborough. And to mention beer again, there are a crazy amount of breweries in the Triangle.

Mystery

Fullsteam

Starpoint

Steel String

Carolina Brewery

Sub Noir

Bombshell

Fortnight

Gizmo

Crank Arm

Lone Rider

Big Boss

Triangle

Ponysaurus

Bull City Burger & Brewery

Top of The Hill

Raleigh 

Trophy

Natty Greene's

White St

etc

There are a bunch of record stores around here, but honestly I think the two with the best selection are in chapel hill (CD Alley) and carrboro (All Day). I can usually find awesome stuff in their used bins for great prices. 

Here in Durham we have Bull City records and....another one that I don't know the name of. haha

If you're in Charlotte, go to Noda then leave, cause that city is a bummer haha.

And skip South Carolina altogether. Well, maybe go to south of the border because it's ridiculous. And Charleston.

You guys are ridiculous. South Carolina has beautiful spots.

I live in Charleston and love it. You guys have a nasty bias. There are great historical things to do in Charleston and Monster Music in Charleston is a great record store.

Ghost Walks in Charleston

Music Farm - Great music venue

Charleston Museum

etc.

If you are looking for things to do upper state, there is the Five Points area in Columbia.

I live in Charleston and love it. You guys have a nasty bias. There are great historical things to do in Charleston and Monster Music in Charleston is a great record store.

Charleston Museum

etc.

If you are looking for things to do upper state, there is the Five Points area in Columbia.

don'tchu be downvotin me; i said go to charleston ;), it's pretty cool. I'll be there myself next month.

Third the charleston raves. Family lives there and I visit there often. Neat little town and great if you want to try some excellent food. I don't think there's a bad choice as far as restaurants go in downtown charleston, but if you love seafood you must go to hyman's.

Salivating just thinking about it.

Charleston Museum

etc.

See you at Monster Music on RSD

Seriously downtown Charleston is great. Waterfront Park, The Battery, The Market and loads of amazing local resturants. I've live here for 7 years and I haven't hit all the spots yet

I haven't spent much time in SC. In NC, Wilmington is probably worth a day trip, though there isn't a ton to do, it's pleasant enough just to walk around, grab some lunch, and stop in some shops. Definitely hit up Asheville. It's one of my favorite cities in the country. I can't remember the name but there's a pretty nice state park about a half hour south with a natural water slide and some other cool stuff to see.

There are no good cities in SC.

Hit up The Flying Biscuit for breakfast and Lunch Box Records while you're in the Queen City.

thank you for the heads up! will look into it for sure.

Definitely stay away from Oxford, NC.  That place is a dump and unfortunately is my hometown.  Lunchbox is great in Charlotte.  I lived in Wilmington for 10 years and its a cool place.  

will make note of oxford. is it like a dangerous part of town? are there any neighborhoods I should avoid?

that oz theme park is like 3 hours from charlotte dude, like 20 miles from Boone.  It is pretty cool though, just know ya kinda gotta make a day out of it.

Asheville rules, they have a MOOG museum, Pinball Museum, insane breakfast at BiscuitHead, and enough beer for the entire state. If you're into beer, check out: 

Wicked Weed

Burial

Twin Leaf

Wedge

Asheville Brewing

Highwire

Green Man

There are others, but those are my favorites, in that order too I think. There's also Fonta Flora in Morganton, their beer is great as well.

Food in Asheville:

All of it. haha

Durham is super rad too, and here you also have chapel hill, raleigh, carrboro, and hillsborough. And to mention beer again, there are a crazy amount of breweries in the Triangle.

Mystery

Fullsteam

Starpoint

Steel String

Carolina Brewery

Sub Noir

Bombshell

Fortnight

Gizmo

Crank Arm

Lone Rider

Big Boss

Triangle

Ponysaurus

Bull City Burger & Brewery

Top of The Hill

Raleigh 

Trophy

Natty Greene's

White St

etc

There are a bunch of record stores around here, but honestly I think the two with the best selection are in chapel hill (CD Alley) and carrboro (All Day). I can usually find awesome stuff in their used bins for great prices. 

Here in Durham we have Bull City records and....another one that I don't know the name of. haha

If you're in Charlotte, go to Noda then leave, cause that city is a bummer haha.

And skip South Carolina altogether. Well, maybe go to south of the border because it's ridiculous. And Charleston.

thanks for the heads up about Oz. still gona make it fit into my schedule. that's a lot of beer! lol. gona check some out and Asheville does seem like the best part according to you and other places online. will check some of those spots out. know if there's any stores there that are full of random trinkets? maybe day of the dead stuff? used book stores?

Charleston Museum

etc.

a friend also told me that Charleston is beautiful. aside from food and being really pretty do you know of any independent stores or neighborhoods? a lot of times the record stores are in those type of neighborhoods so I'll check that out too. thanks!

Third the charleston raves. Family lives there and I visit there often. Neat little town and great if you want to try some excellent food. I don't think there's a bad choice as far as restaurants go in downtown charleston, but if you love seafood you must go to hyman's.

Salivating just thinking about it.

not particularly into seafood but i am definitely into food. especially places that are specific to locations that I cant find anywhere else. any other suggestions?

See you at Monster Music on RSD

Seriously downtown Charleston is great. Waterfront Park, The Battery, The Market and loads of amazing local resturants. I've live here for 7 years and I haven't hit all the spots yet

will look into those asap. is there independent stores in downtown charleston? places that would have vintagey items, trinkets, etc.

I haven't spent much time in SC. In NC, Wilmington is probably worth a day trip, though there isn't a ton to do, it's pleasant enough just to walk around, grab some lunch, and stop in some shops. Definitely hit up Asheville. It's one of my favorite cities in the country. I can't remember the name but there's a pretty nice state park about a half hour south with a natural water slide and some other cool stuff to see.

thanks for all the help. all of you have given me a lot so far. i appreciate it.

wanted to add that i'm a huge donut fan. like big time. love it. so i wanted to know if there's any real cool donut places in either NC or SC? not like a dunkin or krispy kreme. something different and original. lmk!!

wanted to add that i'm a huge donut fan. like big time. love it. so i wanted to know if there's any real cool donut places in either NC or SC? not like a dunkin or krispy kreme. something different and original. lmk!!

Britts Donuts in Carolina Beach, about 20 mins south of Wilmington.

thank you for the heads up! will look into it for sure.

will make note of oxford. is it like a dangerous part of town? are there any neighborhoods I should avoid?

thanks for the heads up about Oz. still gona make it fit into my schedule. that's a lot of beer! lol. gona check some out and Asheville does seem like the best part according to you and other places online. will check some of those spots out. know if there's any stores there that are full of random trinkets? maybe day of the dead stuff? used book stores?

a friend also told me that Charleston is beautiful. aside from food and being really pretty do you know of any independent stores or neighborhoods? a lot of times the record stores are in those type of neighborhoods so I'll check that out too. thanks!

not particularly into seafood but i am definitely into food. especially places that are specific to locations that I cant find anywhere else. any other suggestions?

will look into those asap. is there independent stores in downtown charleston? places that would have vintagey items, trinkets, etc.

thanks for all the help. all of you have given me a lot so far. i appreciate it.

There is a doughnut shop in downtown Charleston: http://glazedgourmet.com/

durham has two, and from portland friends, i've heard both are better than Voodoo and Blue Star donuts. 

http://monutsdonuts.com/

monuts is the shit, and they have maple sriracha sauce for their breakfast sammiches. i'm there at least once a week.

http://risebiscuitsdonuts.com/

real good too.