All day I've been asking myself why I buy vinyl.

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It doesn't make me feel cooler than everyone else when I have to pass up a rare album that I found to be able to take my girlfriend to prom because I've spent too much on records already this month.

I feel like the novelties already wearing off, and it's only been four months. My musical tastes don't really cater towards vinyl collecting either...

haha, that part was just a jab at the elitist nature of record collecting.

however, i feel good about appreciating a band in a way that most other people dont. i enjoy taking care of my turntable and making sure my records are stored properly. it makes me feel more connected to the process of actually listening to the music.

and i get the money situation. ive gotten myself into quite a bit of debt by buying more vinyl than i can really afford. such is the nature of the beast. in the end im rewarded every time i put something on my turntable.

I'm lucky, not alot of my favourite bands release vinyl, I can't imagine what a shit hobby it would be if I liked Alkaline Trio or Against Me! (not a dig at the music, I actually used to like AM! *cough* sellouts *cough*, just couldn't afford it)

hm, i dont really understand that, mainly the "i'm lucky not a lot of my favorite bands release vinyl," mostly because that's what i want, my favorite bands. although i'm not into variations, I definitely want my record collection to be made up of what i like to listen to...

so i think all that needs to be said is that if record collecting is becoming too costly for you, just slow down.

look at it at a different perspective rather than "collecting" and it being a "novelty."

I agree. If it's just a novelty for you then you're looking at it the wrong way or it's just not for you. There's nothing wrong with that. If you're starting to realize that maybe it isn't for you then it's probably a good thing that you're realizing it so soon and you can get away from it easily.

Here is my suggestion... stop visiting this site. I know from past experience that being an active messageboard poster/reader can help fuel the fire and make you spend more on your hobby than you normally would. Anyways, stop checking out this board (and others if you look at them) and see what happens. If you stop buying vinyl altogether, lose interest, or stop listening then maybe it was just a novelty for you and you're over it.

I used to spend all the time on a photography forum and for a long time I became a gearhead. I was more interested in having the "right" lens or getting another camera body that I wasn't shooting as much. Then I just stopped checking the forum and guess what? I stopped being a gearhead. No longer was I trying to "keep up" with others, I was satisfied with what I had (and even downgraded my gear) and started shooting more. See if something similar can happen for you.

My $0.02

It takes a decent amount of disposable income to really be able to keep up with collecting full-time. Either that or you have to be really trade-savvy. But don't get discouraged right away, because it does take a while to "get started."

for the first year i was buying records, i didn't break 50. it hasn't been until the beginning of last year when i started working a lot more that i've been able to really keep up with releases and still save money. sure, i still can't buy every record i want and it bums me out sometimes, but if i really want it i have no problems about getting it.

Guest falloutcollapse

I've been buying vinyl for a year and I'm still "getting started." I love the format, and although I listen to mp3s all day long, nothing beats the hour or two I get with my turntable.

Guest scriptedrain
I've been buying records for 15 years, and have been working in a record store the past 4.5. That helps. It also helps that records are my only hobby, really.

I really want to work in a record store. There's only 1 here though, and it's owned and operated by the same guy, who's not hiring.

I've been buying records for 15 years, and have been working in a record store the past 4.5. That helps. It also helps that records are my only hobby, really.

I really want to work in a record store. There's only 1 here though, and it's owned and operated by the same guy, who's not hiring.

it seems that all the good stores don't ever hire. we've hired one new person in something like three years.