PO: Candy Hearts "All The Ways You've Let Me Down" LP

It's not in my head, believe me.  You are trying to prove your point by saying one acts (or shouldn't act - which is ludicrous) a certain way because of their gender.  If you want community among a genre where biases don't matter, you can start by not segregating the music based on how many dongs each band has.

Literally said nothing remotely similar to that.

What I actually said was in response to catpower about her comment "if they did it because they think 'oh man we need this girl to use her sex appeal and be super poppy in order to sell records' THEN therein lies the problem."  which I agreed was a problem.

And it's not about how many dongs your band has, it's clearly about which band member has the biggest dong.

You are trying to prove your point by saying one acts (or shouldn't act - which is ludicrous) a certain way because of their gender.  

Literally said nothing remotely similar to that.

The emphasis of the video is on her femininity not on her musicianship.  If you've read any of her pieces on sexism she gets upset that people assume she doesn't play guitar or that the male members in her band do everything, etc.

This video puts the spotlight on her, her being a girl, and her voice as the instrument. It doesn't put the focus on Candy Hearts, the pop-punk band of musicians.

But if you're focusing your image around having a girl singer and you're getting upset that people are not treating you the same way they treat any other band, you're being a hypocrite.

If you want to be Mariel and the Candy Hearts that's fine, but don't have the same expectations for how you are treated relative to the way that Red City Radio are treated.

It's not in my head, believe me.  You are trying to prove your point by saying one acts (or shouldn't act - which is ludicrous) a certain way because of their gender.  If you want community among a genre where biases don't matter, you can start by not segregating the music based on how many dongs each band has.

ilu so much rite now.

None of those statements exemplify me saying that she should/shouldn't do anything based on her sex.

I'm pointing out the fact that it's hypocritical to say "we're a band just like all the other bands and having a girl in the band isn't a gimmick" and then making the entire marketing effort about how there's a girl in your band.

I don't view Candy Hearts differently from their peers, despite their best efforts to make me.

Wowwwwwwwwwwwww.  Please take the time to read the quotes that Logan pulled from your responses (two posts above this one).  Once you're done, read it again.

Then retract the statement I just quoted.

Still don't see what you're talking about.

My point was THIS BAND is treating having a girl singer as a gimmick, not that I AM and I'm saying it's upsetting that they are.

None of those statements exemplify me saying that she should/shouldn't do anything based on her sex.

I'm pointing out the fact that it's hypocritical to say "we're a band just like all the other bands and having a girl in the band isn't a gimmick" and then making the entire marketing effort about how there's a girl in your band.

I don't view Candy Hearts differently from their peers, despite their best efforts to make me.

so let me just clarify so that there's no misunderstanding here: you think they're making their 'entire marketing effort about how there's a girl in [the] band' just because in this video, she is laying in a bed for about 8% of the time?

so let me just clarify so that there's no misunderstanding here: you think they're making their 'entire marketing effort about how there's a girl in [the] band' just because in this video, she is laying in a bed for about 8% of the time?

It's this video. It's the video for Miles & Interstates (I think, I forget if that's the one).

Entire marketing effort was probably a wrote statement.  I do think the marketing focus is on there being a girl in the band.

Granted, this is Buzzfeed but it's directly linked to their Facebook but this (exclusive?)promo for their video.  So because she's a girl we can write things like "like-like".  If that's not what you want associated with your band, don't give that exclusive or don't approve that article.  http://buzzworthy.mtv.com/2014/05/06/candy-hearts-i-miss-you-video/ 

"When we first fell in like — OK, like-like — with Candy Hearts, it was around Valentine’s Day last year, and frontwoman Mariel Loveland was singing about the perils of falling for someone who you know just isn’t worth your time on their track, “Bad Idea.” With the trio’s new video for “I Miss You,” it seems like things are going a little bit better for her on the romance front."

You flat out said that they will not be treated the same as as another band (Red City Radio) is treated because of their female vocalist.  HOW do you not see how sexist that is?

The thing is that you DO view them differently from their peers.  Go ahead and claim you're not a misogynist all you want.  The fact that you can't identify your sexist statements and that you think the band is MAKING you view them differently is sexist.  If you want things to be easier on you, quit thinking of people as male or female.  Just consider people as people and you will lead a much happier and stress-free life.  Let's be honest, is it really worth it to you to get this concerned about a fucking music video?!  This gal is comfortable with her sexuality and IT DOES NOT MATTER what you think about that.  What DOES matter is the fact that you're flaunting your sexist thoughts around and that is not okay.  Being an advocate for gender equality in music and being comfortable in your sexuality can, should, and do exist in the same realm.  They are one in the same.  Get over it.

It's this video. It's the video for Miles & Interstates (I think, I forget if that's the one).

Entire marketing effort was probably a wrote statement.  I do think the marketing focus is on there being a girl in the band.

Granted, this is Buzzfeed but it's directly linked to their Facebook but this (exclusive?)promo for their video.  So because she's a girl we can write things like "like-like".  If that's not what you want associated with your band, don't give that exclusive or don't approve that article.  http://buzzworthy.mtv.com/2014/05/06/candy-hearts-i-miss-you-video/ 

"When we first fell in like — OK, like-like — with Candy Hearts, it was around Valentine’s Day last year, and frontwoman Mariel Loveland was singing about the perils of falling for someone who you know just isn’t worth your time on their track, “Bad Idea.” With the trio’s new video for “I Miss You,” it seems like things are going a little bit better for her on the romance front."

...who says you can only write those things just because she's a girl? you are so off-base here (and grasping at straws more and more) that i don't even think i can reply to you anymore because you just aren't listening to what i am saying, or what YOU are saying, more importantly.

You flat out said that they will not be treated the same as as another band (Red City Radio) is treated because of their female vocalist.  HOW do you not see how sexist that is?

The thing is that you DO view them differently from their peers.  Go ahead and claim you're not a misogynist all you want.  The fact that you can't identify your sexist statements and that you think the band is MAKING you view them differently is sexist.  If you want things to be easier on you, quit thinking of people as male or female.  Just consider people as people and you will lead a much happier and stress-free life.  Let's be honest, is it really worth it to you to get this concerned about a fucking music video?!  This gal is comfortable with her sexuality and IT DOES NOT MATTER what you think about that.  What DOES matter is the fact that you're flaunting your sexist thoughts around and that is not okay.  Being an advocate for gender equality in music and being comfortable in your sexuality can, should, and do exist in the same realm.  They are one in the same.  Get over it.

This is a ridiculous personal attack.  You can get off your soap box about how I should view people.  I wasn't all that worked up about the music video.  More just dumbfounded at how I can't criticize a band markets their female member without being attacked for being sexist.

I said they won't be treated the same because they of the way they treat themselves, not because they are different.  

...who says you can only write those things just because she's a girl? you are so off-base here (and grasping at straws more and more) that i don't even think i can reply to you anymore because you just aren't listening to what i am saying, or what YOU are saying, more importantly.

How is that grasping at straws?

I've read enough press releases to know this is UNUSUAL. I am drawing the conclusion that its being written because she is a girl because that is how girls are stereotyped (NOTE: NOT BY ME but by society). 

SIR, ARE YOU EVEN READING WHAT YOU ARE SAYING?!

sure, you can criticize the band to high heavens if you'd like. HOWEVER, that criticism is based on how YOU are perceiving what they are doing. you think a girl on a bed is flaunting a female's sexuality. you think that someone writing 'like-like' in an article is just because there is a girl in the band. can you not see that your perception of them is based solely on what you perceive to be 'girl acceptable behavior' vs. 'boy acceptable behavior'?

Did this many people get their panties in a twist when the video for No Doubt's "Underneath It All" came out?!?! I mean, shiiiiiiiiit, Gwen Stefani was rolling around in a bed in her undies!!! Oh, the horror!!!

Who gives a flying fuck @ the end of the day?!?! It's music video for a song that's pop-punk and from a band fronted by a girl who mainly writes about girly stuff that somehow we're all enamored with.

Give it a rest. Go outside and play with your dog. Or cat. Or Pet Rock. Hell, go and play with yourself if that makes you happy and stops this silly-ass and inconsequential argument.

(And before anyof YOU get your panties in a wad feeling directly attacked...this is the general YOU. As is YOU ALL MOFOS HERE!)

No prob. I had to even double-check his Twitter and FB to make sure I was not mistaken. Nothing showing he's in CH anymore.

There was a semi-passive aggressive post on one of their instagrams (which may have since been deleted).  But yes, no longer with the band.

There wasn't a formal anything made of it though like when they kicked out the bassist.